ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

overlandr 03-02-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melville (Post 18123306)
No one used DA in the 70s. 80s and later, OK.

"Used":huh? Well I did after having bought a new c/set.

mud 03-02-2012 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlandr (Post 18123380)
"Used":huh? Well I did after having bought a new c/set.

What the fuck is a "c/set"?

rob feature 03-02-2012 10:09 PM

I've been looking for a replacement for my 12 year old Cannondale F800 for months now. Err, not necessarily a replacement, but the bike needed work. I'd been bandaiding it up, but I had a brake line snap on no force at all and figured it was time.

It sort of 'totalled' itself once I tallied up everything it was gonna cost to rehab it and made my mind for me. I was gonna be buying a new bike.

Today wound up being the day. I had a shop offering to build me up a sweet ride. But I expressed concerns about being able to ride it before buying it. I'd have a hard time just going out on a limb like that. The guy's all like 'trust me, you'll like it'. 'We've built thousands of these - nobody's ever not been happy'. So I hung out for a few more minutes while he kept looking for parts. I found a really cool ride I'd never seen before - some belt drive thing and started inquiring about it. The short story I got was that the guy had built the bike for someone and they didn't like it :rofl. On to more shops.

So I decided to go about a bike purchase the only way that seemed logical - ride 'em all and buy the one I like.

And this is who followed me home :clap.

http://robfeature.smugmug.com/Other/...pjumper-XL.jpg

My very first 29er. I was a little put off at first by the talk of handling issues with these, but this thing rides like a dream. We only topped out at 30 degrees or so today, but I got in 2 hours anyway. Just wow. I had no idea what I'd been missing. 2 x 10 is quite awesome too.

overlandr 03-03-2012 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud (Post 18123958)
What the fuck is a "c/set"?

Its a crankset or chainset depending upon your choice. Yes a DA (Dura Ace) crankset bought from a Uk retailer in 1977.

mud 03-03-2012 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by overlandr (Post 18124781)
Its a crankset or chainset depending upon your choice. Yes a DA (Dura Ace) crankset bought from a Uk retailer in 1977.

Ah. I had cassette stuck in my head, but you were talking old school, so I was confused.....

soewe812 03-03-2012 07:46 AM

So... I've been in Norman Oklahoma for the last week for training and the weather has been divine. Well it turn out the housing facility has a few bikes available for rent with a choice between mtn and beach cruiser. Wednesday was perfect weather wise so I rented a mtn bike after class and did a 26 mile loop through some neighboring towns. It is deceiving how hilly it is here since it looks flat haha. I felt really good after that ride so yesterday I thought I would go out again. Plotted a new course out around Lake Thunderbird and headed out. The first corner I pass I get right hooked by a school bus... Now it is a lot windier than last ride and this kinda sucks too. Figuring on dodging the headwind I turn into my loop and go the opposite direction from the plan. Once committed I find that there is headwind no matter which way I go. Ten miles later and I miss my turn and ride into the state park at the lake instead for a bonus of two extra miles. Should I go for it or turn back? Ya'll know how the brain works when exercising hard so I went for it. On a positive note the wind quit once the sun went down, but the temps dropped from mid 70's to mid 40's... Finished the last 5 miles in the dark with no lights. Did I mention that the designated bike lane roads in Norman have an extra 2 to 4 inches of road beyond the white line for a total of 2 to 4 inches? 3 hours 40 miles 12.5 mph average and I am toast. And frozen. It sucked so bad I think I will wait a day or two before I do it again.:evil

ducnut 03-03-2012 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 18119930)
So, I just got back from my first off-road excursion. Man, was that ever tiring. Not tiring like riding for hours on my road bike, but more like a hard workout at the gym, pushing my muscles to failure on every set. I thought I was gonna puke at one point. Maybe that Chinese fast food for lunch was a mistake. :puke1

It's definitely more intense than road riding. I think that's why MTBers tend to make excellent roadies. There are many ex-pro MTBers in the world tour peloton.

I never eat, before getting on the MTB. I did it once and was :puke2 , a couple miles in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob feature (Post 18123965)
And this is who followed me home :clap.
My very first 29er. 2 x 10 is quite awesome too.

Sweet! And, 2X10 does rock. :thumb

Kamala 03-03-2012 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 18120853)
Pedals off = 6mm allen, or a 8mm allen, or a 15mm open-end wrench. Turn towards the back of the bike *on both sides*

Unfortunately the pedals on her bike use a TORX pattern rather than the allens. I was surprised and was sure it was an SAE size rather than metric. Close examination (and pulling out some dirt) showed them me the splines. I'll have her bikes ready to rack before dark. Now we just need the 1st snow of the year to vacate. We make it all winter long with a few flurries and on March 1st get slammed with snow and ice. Snowing out here right now actually.

TheNedster 03-03-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 18120853)
55mi in 3:21 over 4500' of climbing. Not stopping and smelling the roses!

M

Y'all were haulin' the mail for sure! :thumb

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut (Post 18125911)
Sweet! And, 2X10 does rock. :thumb

+2. My new MTB is 2x10 and I'm never going back to a triple.

Picked up a Garmin Edge 500 from my LBS the other day for the "bro price". Now I can "reliably and accurately capture all my performance metrics in order to develop an effective custom training program." At least, that's how I justified the purchase to TheWifester. :deal

Gummee! 03-03-2012 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamala (Post 18126108)
Unfortunately the pedals on her bike use a TORX pattern rather than the allens. I was surprised and was sure it was an SAE size rather than metric. Close examination (and pulling out some dirt) showed them me the splines. I'll have her bikes ready to rack before dark. Now we just need the 1st snow of the year to vacate. We make it all winter long with a few flurries and on March 1st get slammed with snow and ice. Snowing out here right now actually.

ATACs right?

Old = 6mm allen
New = 8mm allen

I've got both old and new ATACs

If they're not ATACs, ignore me

M

Aurelius 03-03-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut (Post 18125911)
It's definitely more intense than road riding.

'Intense' is putting it mildly. Unlike a road bike, you can't relax and just coast a while to recover; you have to pedal constantly or the bike will roll to a stop in just a few feet. Going through sand and deep grass was like riding through glue, and the slower you go, the more energy it seems to consume. :knary

Quote:

I never eat, before getting on the MTB. I did it once and was :puke2 , a couple miles in.
But if you don't eat before a ride, how do you replenish all those calories you're burning up?

Oh, did I mention that the frame cracked? I'm thinking this may be a sign from God that I should stick to road bikes.

ducnut 03-03-2012 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 18127790)
But if you don't eat before a ride, how do you replenish all those calories you're burning up?

I usually eat a small bowl of cereal, a couple hours before I hit the trail. Also, riding on an empty stomach (fasting) is good for burning fat stores. Otherwise, I'll just snack on a Kashi bar.

Quote:

Oh, did I mention that the frame cracked? I'm thinking this may be a sign from God that I should stick to road bikes.

Means you need that new bike. :evil

k7 03-03-2012 06:44 PM

:evil

Quote:

Oh, did I mention that the frame cracked? I'm thinking this may be a sign from God that I should try a recumbent

Aurelius 03-03-2012 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut (Post 18129130)
Means you need that new bike. :evil

Strange, that's just what the salesman at the bike store said. :lol3

Garthe 03-03-2012 09:36 PM

Win.

http://garthe.smugmug.com/Other/BM-S...DSC02650-L.jpg

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:19 PM.