ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Gummee! 01-10-2007 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat0020
Fabricating this will be the ultimate winter project for me:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../bikerack2.jpg

Make two wouldya? I don't have a way to transport my bicycle(s) on my MC and definitely no access to the stuff needed to make one of them!

Thanks,

M

Gummee! 01-10-2007 12:32 PM

Quote:

Both of us have Vision recumbents, they are great for riding her pace, sub 17mph on downhills. Both of us could ride together for longer period of time, without discomfort in the behinds or backs... long distance seem more managable for her on the recumbent.

Even though I have been a roadie since a teenager, riding 100 mile/day, 2-3000 mile/year on a bicycle is not uncommon for me, but I do find riding the recumbent more relaxing, everything seems to slow down for me to enjoy the scenery more. I could ride faster on the recumbent if I want to, but when I sit on it, I just feel more "cruisin" mode. Maybe I'm getting old.. at 32 going on 33... I'll nurse my racing legs until I get to race 35+.

Humph the only thing that slows down in the M35+ are the crashes! Second fastest race of the day IME.

I enjoy riding with the other olde phartes 'cause we all know we gotta get up on Monday and go to work! Makes for less hargy bargy in the peloton. :nod

Went for my first ride in Flag just now. ~15mi of forest service road, secondary road, and some really shitty pavement on old 66 east of town. Had a great time until I turned into the headwind for the ride home. Ugh. No bueno. Forgot the first rule of winter (or fat and outta shape) riding: go INTO the headwind first! :baldy I can see wearing out a buncha cross tires up here! Connect this forest service road to that one, make a loop, and :D the entire time! Now all I gotta do is get over this altitude thing...

M

Cat0020 01-10-2007 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Humph the only thing that slows down in the M35+ are the crashes! Second fastest race of the day IME.

M

Yeah, that's one of the reasons that I want to return to racing after I turn 35. 35+ racing is more even paced, fast but smooth.

5 years ago I had a pretty bad crash at 30+ mph when a SUV pulled in front of my path to turn into a driveway; broken cheek bone, cracked ribs, colapsed lung, dented skull; 13 hour surgery later, I have a 2 1/2" titanium coil in place of my coroted artery, 96+ hours in ICU, 4 weeks in hospital, 2 months in rehab.. I got back on a bicycle and did a metric century in PA.
10 months later, I was riding with US PRO Champ Fred Rodrigez.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0/FredandI.jpg

I wouldn't want to go back to cat.4/5 racing to risk stupid crashes.

Right now is about 28 degrees F outside, I have about 75 road/recumbent miles, 28 mtb miles and approx. 20 roller miles this year.

Gummee! 01-10-2007 05:59 PM

Quote:

Yeah, that's one of the reasons that I want to return to racing after I turn 35. 35+ racing is more even paced, fast but smooth.

5 years ago I had a pretty bad crash at 30+ mph when a SUV pulled in front of my path to turn into a driveway; broken cheek bone, cracked ribs, colapsed lung, dented skull; 13 hour surgery later, I have a 2 1/2" titanium coil in place of my coroted artery, 96+ hours in ICU, 4 weeks in hospital, 2 months in rehab.. I got back on a bicycle and did a metric century in PA.
10 months later, I was riding with US PRO Champ Fred Rodrigez.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0/FredandI.jpg

I wouldn't want to go back to cat.4/5 racing to risk stupid crashes.

Right now is about 28 degrees F outside, I have about 75 road/recumbent miles, 28 mtb miles and approx. 20 roller miles this year.

Skinny fucker :bluduh

:lol2

I'm in cross bike heaven...

M

JBADV 01-10-2007 06:05 PM

i have a set of kreitler rollers and a kreitler fork stand if anybody is interested.

Zodiac 01-10-2007 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbaker
i have a set of kreitler rollers and a kreitler fork stand if anybody is interested.

How old are the rollers? Gotta pic?

Gummee! 01-10-2007 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
How old are the rollers? Gotta pic?

With Kreitlers, age is irrelevant.

Heck! I have some Nashbar/Tackx rollers that are going on 20 years old that look and ride fine!

If you don't buy em, I'm tempted to! Always wanted a pair of Kreitlers.

You ever measure the TT on yer Ti bike? :ear

M

Zodiac 01-10-2007 06:15 PM

Quote:

With Kreitlers, age is irrelevant.

Heck! I have some Nashbar/Tackx rollers that are going on 20 years old that look and ride fine!

If you don't buy em, I'm tempted to! Always wanted a pair of Kreitlers.

You ever measure the TT on yer Ti bike? :ear

M

yer right.

I had kreitlers back in the early 80's, were made like a swiss gun...

I think my Dad probably sold em a long time ago.

When measuring the TT do you go from weld to weld (inside)???

Gummee! 01-10-2007 06:20 PM

Quote:

yer right.

I had kreitlers back in the early 80's, were made like a swiss gun...

I think my Dad probably sold em a long time ago.

well? :mrskbasa

Quote:

When measuring the TT do you go from weld to weld (inside)???
center to center (you'll hafta guesstimate a bit, chances are it'll be 54cm...)

M

Zodiac 01-10-2007 06:29 PM

Quote:

well? :mrskbasa

center to center (you'll hafta guesstimate a bit, chances are it'll be 54cm...)

M

When you say center to center, are you meaning center of headset to center of seat tube (via the length of TT), or just center of the weld (where the TT meets the headset, or seat tube.

?

Gummee! 01-10-2007 06:45 PM

Quote:

When you say center to center, are you meaning center of headset to center of seat tube (via the length of TT), or just center of the weld (where the TT meets the headset, or seat tube.

?

Centers of the tubes. ie: the exact middle of the open area enclosed by the tubing. That's why its sorta a guesstimate. If yer bike's a compact frame, it gets more complicated 'cause you hafta measure on the horizontal, not the exact TT.

M

Zodiac 01-10-2007 06:48 PM

Quote:

Centers of the tubes. ie: the exact middle of the open area enclosed by the tubing. That's why its sorta a guesstimate. If yer bike's a compact frame, it gets more complicated 'cause you hafta measure on the horizontal, not the exact TT.

M

I'm getting 51 and half CM's, from the TT meeting the headtube to the TT meeting the seatube (centered).

Kentucky 01-10-2007 06:50 PM

This darned thread cost me $300+ today

After reading and following this thread for several days and evaluating my physical lack of conditioning...I bought a bike. My choice was a Raleigh Passage 3.0 in a nice metalic grey. I added an led rear running light, a left side bar end mirror, a simple Sigma computer, a water bottle and holder and a Giro helmet. Thanks to the thread I chose the 700c tire and wheel combination.
Barry

Zodiac 01-10-2007 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kentucky
After reading and following this thread for several days and evaluating my physical lack of conditioning...I bought a bike. My choice was a Raleigh Passage 3.0 in a nice metalic grey. I added an led rear running light, a left side bar end mirror, a simple Sigma computer, a water bottle and holder and a Giro helmet. Thanks to the thread I chose the 700c tire and wheel combination.
Barry

Have fun with it (that's a good deal for any bike these days!), post a ride report soon.

someone has too...:evil

Gummee! 01-10-2007 06:54 PM

Quote:

I'm getting 51 and half CM's, from the TT meeting the headtube to the TT meeting the seatube (centered).

Prolly a 52cm TT then.

If yer 5'8" you really need to be on a slightly (as in my 54cm bike) longer TT. :deal

M

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:43 PM.