ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Gummee! 03-14-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullmonte (Post 18213651)
Yesterday I'm out with 3 buds on the mtb trails in an uphill section of 4-6 foot whoops, when some d-bag on a downhill bike comes hauling ass right at me while in the air. I yell that I have two riders behind me and he didn't even slow according to the rider directly behind me. D-bag causes our last guy to go down to avoid a head-on incursion. Luckily he only had a bloody elbow after going down in the dirt. We were pissed and were ready to give a "Cannondale necklace" to that punk ass if he had found him.

So what are you doing riding up a down trail?

:ear

:hide

I'm kidding! There's idiots everywhere. Even off-road.

M

fullmonte 03-14-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 18213677)
So what are you doing riding up a down trail?

:ear

:hide

I'm kidding! There's idiots everywhere. Even off-road.

M

We had just finished descending from the other side and had to get back to the top connector trail. There was a clear line of sight and the d-bag saw us (if he was looking)which is why we were so pissed. Clearly no regard for the safety of other trail users. This is a new, relatively unknown trail system and he was on an orange Cannondale, so he'll get his due.

Mercury264 03-14-2012 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullmonte (Post 18213651)
Yesterday I'm out with 3 buds on the mtb trails in an uphill section of 4-6 foot whoops, when some d-bag on a downhill bike comes hauling ass right at me while in the air. I yell that I have two riders behind me and he didn't even slow according to the rider directly behind me. D-bag causes our last guy to go down to avoid a head-on incursion. Luckily he only had a bloody elbow after going down in the dirt. We were pissed and were ready to give a "Cannondale necklace" to that punk ass if he had found him.

Say what :ear

fullmonte 03-14-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264 (Post 18213834)
Say what :ear

Imagine if you will, a can of Sanka, but in the shape of a Cannondale frame.:evil

Aurelius 03-14-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 18213677)
There's idiots everywhere. Even off-road.

M

I've noticed that people on paved bicycles trails do all sorts of things they wouldn't dream of doing on the road, like passing in blind turns, being in the wrong (oncoming) lane, and traveling several abreast so that no one can get by them. :boid I'm sure mountain bikers have their share of twits as well, but so far I've been fortunate to have been out there with the smarter ones. They not only announce their presence to any approaching rider before entering a blind turn, but will even warn you that there are other riders behind them. And they seem perfectly happy to pull over to the side to allow others to pass - a total reversal of what I'm used to on Florida's roads.

Askel 03-14-2012 09:40 AM

Man, I was totally bombing this sweet line today and some spandex clad XC dork wouldn't get out of my way! :lol3

Tallbastid 03-14-2012 09:46 AM

Bought my '12 Giant Reign 2 in Dec from my LBS. I LOVE the bike, aside from the brakes.
(Avid Elixir 1)

They howl like crazy and feel like im dragging pebbles between the pads and rotors. Also, if I don't use them for a few minutes, I have to pull them almost back to the handlebar or 'pump' them to get them to apply power at a reasonable pull from fully out. On top of that, they just don't work very well to stop my fat ass.

I've looked around the internet looks like I will be rebedding the pads, sand papering the pads down a bit and rotors and cleaning with brake fluid. Also, going to zip tie a piece of rubber grip to a rotor spoke to try to stop vibration, and if it still is howling, I'll try new pads. Seems like this is a little crazy though, with a 3 month old bike I've taken on 10-15 rides. Also, never used any chemicals to clean the bike, just water-I highly doubt pads are contaminated.

Should I be looking to upgrade these soon? I want to have faith in my brakes and ride some lift served stuff with confidence. Guess I'm trying to feel out if my brakes need some work to be right or are just a low point on this otherwise kick ass bike that should be upgraded.

Wadester 03-14-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brton161 (Post 18214061)
Bought my '12 Giant Reign 2 in Dec from my LBS. I LOVE the bike, aside from the brakes.
(Avid Elixir 1)

They howl like crazy and feel like im dragging pebbles between the pads and rotors. Also, if I don't use them for a few minutes, I have to pull them almost back to the handlebar or 'pump' them to get them to apply power at a reasonable pull from fully out. On top of that, they just don't work very well to stop my fat ass.

I've looked around the internet looks like I will be rebedding the pads, sand papering the pads down a bit and rotors and cleaning with brake fluid. Also, going to zip tie a piece of rubber grip to a rotor spoke to try to stop vibration, and if it still is howling, I'll try new pads. Seems like this is a little crazy though, with a 3 month old bike I've taken on 10-15 rides. Also, never used any chemicals to clean the bike, just water-I highly doubt pads are contaminated.

Should I be looking to upgrade these soon? I want to have faith in my brakes and ride some lift served stuff with confidence. Guess I'm trying to feel out if my brakes need some work to be right or are just a low point on this otherwise kick ass bike that should be upgraded.

First, don't clean anything with brake fluid - it's either mineral oil or a glycol based stuff that is NOT residue free. Isopropyl alcohol is a good choice (rubbing alcohol works - it's IPA with water added).

The rotor - that's what should be sanded. Get some medium grit paper, put it on a flat surface and use a random motion on the rotor. Doesn't take long. Also, you can see what patterns have built up by during the sanding process.

Once you've got things "fresh" - bed the system. This means hard, full power stops. And even after that, if they start to warble during light braking - go to full stop. Don't let them sing - it builds up and self-reinforces.

Tallbastid 03-14-2012 11:43 AM

Thanks! Didn't realize it was important to bed the pads in. Maybe this is why they howl to begin with, I didn't do this when they were new. I'll try that when I get some time tonight. Will let you know how it works out. Thanks again!

**EDIT** I didn't mean brake fluid, I meant bake cleaner. Sorry for the typo. I will be using IPA anyways though, I think it would be worth the couple bucks to try the best.

Chisenhallw 03-14-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel (Post 18214012)
Man, I was totally bombing this sweet line today and some spandex clad XC dork wouldn't get out of my way! :lol3

Ok, that's funny.

rob feature 03-14-2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel (Post 18214012)

:rofl

Whoever made up that rule about uphill riders having the right of way anyhoo? Sounds like horse people logic.

surly357 03-14-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brton161 (Post 18214061)
(Avid Elixir 1).........or are just a low point on this otherwise kick ass bike that should be upgraded.

Yes.

Upgrade.

While many Avid brakes are at least adequate, IMHO Elixer 1s are basicallly a way to put 'hydraulic' on a spec sheet at a 'cable actuated' price point.

Think Shimano SLX.

From setup to maintenance they're so nice bike mechanics don't even bitch about them.

Gummee! 03-15-2012 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 18213986)
I've noticed that people on paved bicycles trails do all sorts of things they wouldn't dream of doing on the road, like passing in blind turns, being in the wrong (oncoming) lane, and traveling several abreast so that no one can get by them. :boid

That's one of the biggest reasons that I stay away from MUTs. Seems people get 'away from the danger' and turn their brains off. I'll ride with the cars, thanks. At least they're somewhat predictable.

Quote:

I'm sure mountain bikers have their share of twits as well, but so far I've been fortunate to have been out there with the smarter ones. They not only announce their presence to any approaching rider before entering a blind turn, but will even warn you that there are other riders behind them. And they seem perfectly happy to pull over to the side to allow others to pass - a total reversal of what I'm used to on Florida's roads.
That goes back to the very beginning of mtn biking. We were so new that being 'good trail neighbors' was required. People didn't know what to make of these new-fangled bikes that could go off-road... Still pays to be nice off-road. After all, pissed off hikers and horsefuckers = closed trails. :nod

As for me: I didn't manage to go 4hrs, but I DID go 2:45 or so. The last hour was harder than I'd planned, but it was the first Wed nite ride with the Culpeper group. Probably one of my last. Ended up 3 of us, then 2, then spread all over the roads back to the start. The first 3 of us waited for the second two, and rode in at a slower pace.

So I know that there's different fitness levels and all, but it really irks me when people are in the line that's pulling at 26kph and they get to the front and the speed drops 4kph. :baldy WTF?! If you can't pull at the speed the group's doing PULL THE FUCK OFF THE FRONT! Rotate thru and let someone that CAN do the speed keep it up.

So I think this next Wed will be the last Wed ride I do till my next easy week when I don't want/need to get in a workout. Luckily, the local hammers hang out near here on Wed. :clap I'm gonna get my rear end handed to me, but that will just make me faster. :nod

M

Gummee! 03-15-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob feature (Post 18219118)
:rofl

Whoever made up that rule about uphill riders having the right of way anyhoo? Sounds like horse people logic.

I know when I saw someone coming downhill at me, I'd always pull off and let em have at it. Its easier for me to get going again than it is for them to stop!

M

Aurelius 03-15-2012 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 18221280)
That's one of the biggest reasons that I stay away from MUTs. Seems people get 'away from the danger' and turn their brains off. I'll ride with the cars, thanks. At least they're somewhat predictable.

Not here, they're not. Unless of course the prediction is that they'll behave in unpredictable ways. :D

Quote:

That goes back to the very beginning of mtn biking. We were so new that being 'good trail neighbors' was required. People didn't know what to make of these new-fangled bikes that could go off-road... Still pays to be nice off-road. After all, pissed off hikers and horsefuckers = closed trails. :nod

As for me: I didn't manage to go 4hrs, but I DID go 2:45 or so. The last hour was harder than I'd planned, but it was the first Wed nite ride with the Culpeper group. Probably one of my last. Ended up 3 of us, then 2, then spread all over the roads back to the start. The first 3 of us waited for the second two, and rode in at a slower pace.

So I know that there's different fitness levels and all, but it really irks me when people are in the line that's pulling at 26kph and they get to the front and the speed drops 4kph. :baldy WTF?! If you can't pull at the speed the group's doing PULL THE FUCK OFF THE FRONT! Rotate thru and let someone that CAN do the speed keep it up.
:poser That is SO like the way people drive around here. They'll be doing 55mph in the middle lane, then veer into the fast lane (without signaling, of course) and immediately slow down! Are you sure those guys you were riding with were locals? I'll bet they had Florida plates on their cars.

Quote:

So I think this next Wed will be the last Wed ride I do till my next easy week when I don't want/need to get in a workout. Luckily, the local hammers hang out near here on Wed. :clap I'm gonna get my rear end handed to me, but that will just make me faster. :nod
I discovered something cool while surfing YouTube: Criterium racing. It seems to be popular here in Florida, and short, high speed races suit my temperament much better than long drawn out marathons. I've already been practicing. Now all I need to do to win is maintain 35mph for more than ten seconds. :lol3

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dOEcN7z9z9k?version=3&feature=player_detailpage">< param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dOEcN7z9z9k?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:21 AM.