ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Zodiac 01-10-2007 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Prolly a 52cm TT then.

If yer 5'8" you really need to be on a slightly (as in my 54cm bike) longer TT. :deal

M

I think you're right, I have a really long torso but short legs.

I always feel like I'm cramped up on it, it's a very tight wheelbase too.

Someone called it a sprinter the other day.

pierce 01-10-2007 08:07 PM

I remember in the OLD days (late 60s through the 1970s), about the only measurement was frame height, measured from the middle of the bottom bracket to the middle of the seat clamp... You'd size this for your inseam (not same #s, just proportional).... if you had a long or short torso, you used different length goosenecks... some frame types had a longer chainstay. if you had shorter legs, hence a smaller frame, you probably used shorter cranks too. and that was about all their was to bike fitting.

now, different 'style' roadbikes had different wheelbases and fork rakes, this affected the riding characteristics but not the fit. My Motobecane Grand Record touring bike was a lot longer than my Raleigh Pro mark III which in turn was quite a bit longer than the criterium bikes like Colnago and Bianchi Team and such.

Gummee! 01-10-2007 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
I think you're right, I have a really long torso but short legs.

I always feel like I'm cramped up on it, it's a very tight wheelbase too.

Someone called it a sprinter the other day.

You may wanna go to one of them fitting sites and plug in some measurements. Last time I did that, it told me I needed somewhere around a 57cm TT! :eek1 Something tells me I measured wrong....

I'd say the shortest you should be riding is about 53.5cm and the longest 55cm. Stick with a 73.5-ish ST angle and it should fit. I know this 'cause we're built very similarly and them's my #s.

You got $400? I've got an E-5 S-Works that I'm thinkin about selling. Flo red... 54cm TT. Upgraded all carbon Ouzo Pro. 1 1/8" t-less. :deal

HTH

M

Zodiac 01-10-2007 08:22 PM

Quote:

You may wanna go to one of them fitting sites and plug in some measurements. Last time I did that, it told me I needed somewhere around a 57cm TT! :eek1 Something tells me I measured wrong....

I'd say the shortest you should be riding is about 53.5cm and the longest 55cm. Stick with a 73.5-ish ST angle and it should fit. I know this 'cause we're built very similarly and them's my #s.

You got $400? I've got an E-5 S-Works that I'm thinkin about selling. Flo red... 54cm TT. Upgraded all carbon Ouzo Pro. 1 1/8" t-less. :deal

HTH

M

My Dad wants his Basso back (of course after I sunk 600 bills into it), but he has an old S works he wants to trade (I think it's aluminum, but I forget), I know it's about 8 yrs old.

I'm seriously hooked on getting a fixy after riding one last wknd, real fun and easy for me (with a front brake of course), and it might be better exercise too.

I'm gonna hold off on a new roadie until I can buy new, but if you know of any fixy's or parts to build a fixy.....I'd be interested.

Thanks for the fit advice too:thumb

Gummee! 01-11-2007 09:19 AM

Quote:

My Dad wants his Basso back (of course after I sunk 600 bills into it), but he has an old S works he wants to trade (I think it's aluminum, but I forget), I know it's about 8 yrs old.

I'm seriously hooked on getting a fixy after riding one last wknd, real fun and easy for me (with a front brake of course), and it might be better exercise too.

I'm gonna hold off on a new roadie until I can buy new, but if you know of any fixy's or parts to build a fixy.....I'd be interested.

Thanks for the fit advice too:thumb

Bah! :nono NEVER buy new. There's always some sucker on CL that's bought a top o' the line bike and never rode the damn thing. Keep yer eye on it and you'll find a bitchin bike for pennies on the dollar! Ebay works too between now and spring. That's how I got my S-Works! Waited till it was a 'last year's frame' and bought it cheep. :deal

The Russ Denny I have has an Ouzo Pro on it. Road fork, not track fork so it has the brake hole. I'm not SURE I wanna sell, so...

My first FG bike cost me $40 to build up. Free frame that a redneck buddy of mine straightened and misc parts. Again, start cruising CL for FG stuff or older Campy stuff. You can piece together a FG for not much if yer patient. There's a growing trend towards FG bikes, check around. Some of the frames are going in the $200 range.

HTH,

M

Speaker 01-11-2007 09:24 AM

if you DID sell the Russ Denny, how much would you ask for it?

Gummee! 01-11-2007 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speaker
if you DID sell the Russ Denny, how much would you ask for it?

Hypothetically?

Somewhere in the $800 range. I'd hafta think about it harder tho. Want all the rings and cogs? Add another $150-200 them things is SPEN-DY!

Its got Campy Sherrif Star hubs laced onto Velocity Escape rims (32 holes), Superbe Pro crankset, ? BB, Silver King HS, Cinelli 65-40 bars (crit bend, shallower than track bend), Thomson SP and a Flite Gel

M

JBADV 01-11-2007 02:30 PM

Quote:

How old are the rollers? Gotta pic?

sorry i didn't get back to you sooner . they are about 4 years old . i only used them one spring to get ready for the road . then a leg injury kept me off the bike for a couple of years . they are almost new . i got the fork stand to go with them after the injury , thought it might help . but the pain was too much . i fell off the roof of my house , and broke my heel . lost one year after the fall , then kinda limped along , then lost another year with operations . now i only ride about 1000 mile a year . hope your'e still awake .

Gummee! 01-11-2007 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbaker
sorry i didn't get back to you sooner . they are about 4 years old . i only used them one spring to get ready for the road . then a leg injury kept me off the bike for a couple of years . they are almost new . i got the fork stand to go with them after the injury , thought it might help . but the pain was too much . i fell off the roof of my house , and broke my heel . lost one year after the fall , then kinda limped along , then lost another year with operations . now i only ride about 1000 mile a year . hope your'e still awake .

Perry's in NYC. Shouldn't be more'n a hop, skip, and jump to meet up!

Supposed to snow this weekend. Good thing I'll be in El Paso drinking and 'r*nning!'

M

Zodiac 01-11-2007 04:32 PM

Quote:

Bah! :nono NEVER buy new. There's always some sucker on CL that's bought a top o' the line bike and never rode the damn thing. Keep yer eye on it and you'll find a bitchin bike for pennies on the dollar! Ebay works too between now and spring. That's how I got my S-Works! Waited till it was a 'last year's frame' and bought it cheep. :deal

The Russ Denny I have has an Ouzo Pro on it. Road fork, not track fork so it has the brake hole. I'm not SURE I wanna sell, so...

My first FG bike cost me $40 to build up. Free frame that a redneck buddy of mine straightened and misc parts. Again, start cruising CL for FG stuff or older Campy stuff. You can piece together a FG for not much if yer patient. There's a growing trend towards FG bikes, check around. Some of the frames are going in the $200 range.

HTH,

M

I've been looking, but still can't find what I'm looking for used.

I saw a Raleigh FG today for 480, with everything I'm looking for, swithchable hub (swap), both brakes, steel frame......

:evil

Zodiac 01-11-2007 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnbaker

PM me w a price, maybe a pic....:wink:

Gummee! 01-11-2007 04:43 PM

Quote:

I've been looking, but still can't find what I'm looking for used.

I saw a Raleigh FG today for 480, with everything I'm looking for, swithchable hub (swap), both brakes, steel frame......

:evil

Keep looking. This is the slow time o' year for buying bikes

M

Zodiac 01-11-2007 04:45 PM

Quote:

Keep looking. This is the slow time o' year for buying bikes

M

I'm gonna see if I can get a deal on a leftover somewhere.

blacksan 01-11-2007 05:19 PM

Quote:

I'm gonna see if I can get a deal on a leftover somewhere.

What are you looking for? One of my local shops (Cycle Recycle) made me a real sweet offer on 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour.

Zodiac 01-11-2007 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacksan
What are you looking for? One of my local shops (Cycle Recycle) made me a real sweet offer on 2006 Raleigh Rush Hour.

Is that their fixie?

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:53 AM.