ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Aurelius 03-20-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud (Post 18260640)
Watch a BMX how-to.

Awesome. Now I understand how it works. :clap

Askel 03-20-2012 10:48 AM

I think the Bicycle thread just lapped itself again. :lol3

blackfriar 03-20-2012 12:18 PM

Hotspice I did some shopping of the same bikes last fall. I encourage you to ride the bikes you can. They are not always easy to find in the size that fits you. The whole frame/component deal got pretty confusing for me. I was looking at the least expensive carbon frame from Trek, but that has a lower grade of parts than the highest priced aluminum frame. After riding as many as I could, I got a closeout price in September on the Trek 2.3 that has all 105 parts. I had no intention of spending that much money, so I know what you mean about the price jumping up quickly. So far I like the bike for riding the local roads and paved trails. Good luck.

Hotspice 03-20-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackfriar (Post 18261888)
Hotspice I did some shopping of the same bikes last fall. I encourage you to ride the bikes you can. They are not always easy to find in the size that fits you. The whole frame/component deal got pretty confusing for me. I was looking at the least expensive carbon frame from Trek, but that has a lower grade of parts than the highest priced aluminum frame. After riding as many as I could, I got a closeout price in September on the Trek 2.3 that has all 105 parts. I had no intention of spending that much money, so I know what you mean about the price jumping up quickly. So far I like the bike for riding the local roads and paved trails. Good luck.

Yea, my skills are nowhere near being able to notice the difference a carbon frame would give me so, like you, I'd rather get better components.

I'll have to see if they have some of last years models around in the H3 height and see what I can get. The one rep said the 3 rings up front will do hills better because of the but that everyone was moving to the 10 speed - 2 ring??

Thanks again..

Chisenhallw 03-20-2012 01:00 PM

I don't own a secteur, but we've got a Sirrus & a Dolce in the house. I love them. Neither has ever given me any trouble at all. I recommend Specialized. However, given my recent experiences with Shimano, I'd see if the bike shop would be willing to swap in or sell you a SRAM drivetrain on a new bike. Upgrading will be much, much easier.

Post pics!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotspice (Post 18260231)
Well after my first duathlon last fall I told myself I was going to shop for a new bike come spring. Here we are, spring time and the game is afoot.

I thought I'd see from, those smarter than I, if I was on the right path or get any suggestions.

Basically my plan is a few (4 this year) duathlons/sprint tri's, training associated with them, and start riding to work more.

My initial budget was 1k but after just one shop seemed to jump up to $1400 and that's where I gotta put the brakes on at :evil .

So far I'm looking at the Specialized Secteur Elite and a Trek 2.1 with the H3 head (taller to match the Sectuer from what I'm told).

They both have their variations of either 105 or Tiagra 10 speed. I think Trek calls the Tiagra the "Compact" because it's only got 2 front rings but still have the 105 available.

I have no brand loyalty. I've picked the Specialized and Trek based on friends experiences only.

Any guru's have any suggestions of another model I should throw into the mix and/or are these two pretty good setups?

:dunno

Faustus 03-20-2012 01:32 PM

I run candy's on my rig and love them, especially here in the PNWet....clears mud well. Minimalist with just enough platform for extended rides.

http://motonut.smugmug.com/Mountain-...13302276-L.jpg

Gummee! 03-20-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 18259983)
I couldn't agree more. It has caused quite a bit of head scratching when I try to explain it to other riders. :lol3

NEITHER of y'all read what I just wrote?

:norton

M

Gummee! 03-20-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotspice (Post 18260231)
Well after my first duathlon last fall I told myself I was going to shop for a new bike come spring. Here we are, spring time and the game is afoot.

I thought I'd see from, those smarter than I, if I was on the right path or get any suggestions.

Basically my plan is a few (4 this year) duathlons/sprint tri's, training associated with them, and start riding to work more.

My initial budget was 1k but after just one shop seemed to jump up to $1400 and that's where I gotta put the brakes on at :evil .

So far I'm looking at the Specialized Secteur Elite and a Trek 2.1 with the H3 head (taller to match the Sectuer from what I'm told).

They both have their variations of either 105 or Tiagra 10 speed. I think Trek calls the Tiagra the "Compact" because it's only got 2 front rings but still have the 105 available.

I have no brand loyalty. I've picked the Specialized and Trek based on friends experiences only.

Any guru's have any suggestions of another model I should throw into the mix and/or are these two pretty good setups?

:dunno

Giant. They make good bikes too.

Jamis. Very underrated

Pretty much all the bikes in your price range are cookie-cutter bikes. :nod They're all built to a price-point and all feature similar construction, weight, geometry, etc.

If you're 5'8" to 5'10" PM me. I may have a deal for ya.

M

mud 03-20-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 18262529)

M

I know and remember why. I still think it's stupid.

Aurelius 03-20-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 18262529)

M

'Course I did. But I already knew the explanation. What I'm saying is that regardless of how 'clipless' pedals got their name, it still seems confusing to many people to call them that.

Askel 03-20-2012 05:06 PM

So naysayers, what should we call clipless pedals then?

rob feature 03-20-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 18260731)
Awesome. Now I understand how it works. :clap

Good, 'cause I wasn't sure I could verbalize a how-to. I did, however note that he didn't mention 'locking on'. I just made that up, by the way. But you still have to hang on to the back of the bike somehow. I've been doing it so long (since childhood) that I rarely think about it. But I'm sorta grabbing the bike with my legs - basically just bringing my legs together to get a bit of a grip. I think it's more on the saddle than anything, but also with the feet - pulling them toward each other and keeping them on the crank/pedals. I'm not sure that I'm really exerting much force with my feet, but want enough to keep my feet where they should be - on the pedals.

At least that's what I think I'm doing :lol3

fullmonte 03-20-2012 07:23 PM

So I'm driving to the mtb trails yesterday when I slow at an intersection. To the right is a car pulling a 12 foot trailer with a tandem recumbent in it.:huh The bent must've been 10 feet long.:eek1 Checked my mirror to make sure I was not hallucinating.:loll That's not something I've seen before.

Aurelius 03-20-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel (Post 18264214)
So naysayers, what should we call clipless pedals then?

Clip-in pedals.

Chisenhallw 03-20-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 18262555)
Jamis. Very underrated

there's a 29er Mtn bike made by Jamis at the LBS that's calling my name.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:16 AM.