ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Jim Moore 05-09-2012 02:20 PM

Thanks for the info, guys. You're scaring me a little bit, but I went ahead and ordered a CCP-22 today anyway. Wish me luck.

pierce 05-09-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Moore (Post 18649926)
Thanks for the info, guys. You're scaring me a little bit, but I went ahead and ordered a CCP-22 today anyway. Wish me luck.

I've pulled dozens and dozens of square post crank arms, including many that had been on 20+ years, and not had any problems. if they are a tight, I've been known to hit them with a bit of Kroil (the best penetrating oil I've found). I do usually lightly grease them before reassembly. if the inside threads on the crankarm are dirty, I'll clean them up a bit with a toothbrush and a bit of solvent (typically wd40, because its what I have on hand). as several folks said, important that the threaded part of the puller is on as far as you can get it before you start twisting. oh and I grease the screw shaft on the puller so it turns easier.

I have the park CWP7, which you use with a wrench, mostly because its more compact and I'm not using it all the time. Also it fits the Octolink splined cranks, which I put on my son's vintage roadie.

melville 05-09-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 18650463)
I've pulled dozens and dozens of square post crank arms, including many that had been on 20+ years, and not had any problems. if they are a tight, I've been known to hit them with a bit of Kroil (the best penetrating oil I've found). I do usually lightly grease them before reassembly. if the inside threads on the crankarm are dirty, I'll clean them up a bit with a toothbrush and a bit of solvent (typically wd40, because its what I have on hand). as several folks said, important that the threaded part of the puller is on as far as you can get it before you start twisting. oh and I grease the screw shaft on the puller so it turns easier.

I have the park CWP7, which you use with a wrench, mostly because its more compact and I'm not using it all the time. Also it fits the Octolink splined cranks, which I put on my son's vintage roadie.

The genuine Campy crank puller has a slightly larger thread and will fit more snugly in the puller threads, sometimes offering purchase when a Park has already pulled out. I use nearly nothing else for this reason.

Lewy 05-10-2012 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakSpout (Post 18633744)
Nice. I may have to try that. My experiment with running the ride at 2x on playback was kinda boring and WAY too long.

I set it up to take a photo every 2 secs then played them back at 0.1 secs a photo.

Turned just under 2 hours of riding into that.

This was my first practice run doing it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GXXh6fF8Fxs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

YakSpout 05-10-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lewy (Post 18654231)
I set it up to take a photo every 2 secs then played them back at 0.1 secs a photo.

Turned just under 2 hours of riding into that.

This was my first practice run doing it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GXXh6fF8Fxs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:thumb

Appreciate the details. I'll give it a shot on the next ride.

markjenn 05-10-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Moore (Post 18649926)
Thanks for the info, guys. You're scaring me a little bit, but I went ahead and ordered a CCP-22 today anyway. Wish me luck.

I pulled cranks a hundred times before running into one that wouldn't budge. The odds are with you. Good luck.

- Mark

Blur 05-10-2012 10:39 AM

Just got back from my first road ride in over a year. Forgot how much I missed it. :clap

Thought about riding the loop twice but figured I'd leave myself something to look forward to tomorrow. :D

2whl-hoop 05-12-2012 09:14 AM

Took the boy up to my parents on my off-days this week, and while they were being Grandma&Grandpa, I took the Vaya out to recon some forest roads and trails in the area. 49.2 miles@15.3mph avg. It was relatively flat, though the last 10 miles or so, I was fantasizing about calling them to come and pick me up along the road somewhere...:lol3

I'm guessing that 10-12 miles or so were unpaved.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...t/P1000124.jpg

Here, the road morphed into an ATV trail. I only went a couple hundred yards down it before I decided it was too sandy, and I was about 20 miles from home at this point, so I turned around.
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...t/P1000126.jpg

A gust of wind blew the bike of the rock I perched it on...
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...t/P1000128.jpg

I finished the day with four miles of this. :D
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...t/P1000130.jpg

mrgizmow 05-12-2012 11:40 AM

Guess for me, it all started with a bicycle. Never realized that my body was capable of wondrous things till I pushed down on a pedal.

Perhaps I am patting myself on the back, but at least it is 'thread appropriate'.

Circa 1973, morning of my solo cross-country departure; Chico Ca. to Boston, Mass.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...mow/boston.jpg

A couple of years after, here I am heading to La Paz. Some long lonely days on the road, as days can be for a solo adventurer.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...izmow/baja.jpg

One of my current mounts. Not nearly as physical, but still lots of fun. Gerry

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...torbicycle.jpg

Gummee! 05-12-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 18650463)
I've pulled dozens and dozens of square post crank arms, including many that had been on 20+ years, and not had any problems. if they are a tight, I've been known to hit them with a bit of Kroil (the best penetrating oil I've found). I do usually lightly grease them before reassembly. if the inside threads on the crankarm are dirty, I'll clean them up a bit with a toothbrush and a bit of solvent (typically wd40, because its what I have on hand). as several folks said, important that the threaded part of the puller is on as far as you can get it before you start twisting. oh and I grease the screw shaft on the puller so it turns easier.

I have the park CWP7, which you use with a wrench, mostly because its more compact and I'm not using it all the time. Also it fits the Octolink splined cranks, which I put on my son's vintage roadie.

...and I've pulled more'n a few that I *thought* were screwed in tight only to have the tool pull out with threads attached, but no crankarm. :baldy

If anyone needs one, I have a French thread crank puller I'll loan ya for a 6-er of your favorite local adult beverage.

M

melville 05-12-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 18672295)
...and I've pulled more'n a few that I *thought* were screwed in tight only to have the tool pull out with threads attached, but no crankarm. :baldy

If anyone needs one, I have a French thread crank puller I'll loan ya for a 6-er of your favorite local adult beverage.

M

Would that be TA or Stronglight?

Back on the bike for the first time in a long time. A trail just a short bit from my house:

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...h_GOPR0032.jpg

Feels good. I may do more.

SeaBass 05-13-2012 01:51 PM

Did the Singlespeedapalooza again
 
Great year for it. Trails were nice and dry and the course was great - 28 miles of singletrack. I was shot on the second lap but saw the photographer so I gave it a little loft for him.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8...s_/SSAP124.jpg

Got my 7 yr old on the trails this year too. I was apprehensive until about ten minutes in he says :This is cool, Daddy". It was all good after that.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b8..._/STA_2493.jpg

Chisenhallw 05-13-2012 01:55 PM

22 miles today, from downtown Bawlmer to the BWI trail. That trail is *amazing*.

surly357 05-13-2012 02:23 PM

"I've pulled dozens and dozens of crankarms....."

"I've pulled hundreds of crankarms....."

Yeah? Well I've pulled a BAJILLION crankarms, so there!!


:D

rbrsddn 05-13-2012 02:30 PM

A little over 100 miles between yesterday and today, with a shitload of hills... I rode in the woods last Sunday for the first time in a few weeks. The road miles really make it so much more fun, as I can ride whole sections without blowing up!


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015