ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Aurelius 04-26-2012 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k7 (Post 18545693)
From another forum. Luckily, the rider had his camera rolling and sent a screenshot to the company. The rest of the video proved there was no need to do this. The driver was suspended.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...a/3ef7bc37.jpg

Central Florida. I could have guessed as much. :rolleyes

2whl-hoop 04-26-2012 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k7 (Post 18545693)
From another forum. Luckily, the rider had his camera rolling and sent a screenshot to the company. The rest of the video proved there was no need to do this. The driver was suspended.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...a/3ef7bc37.jpg

That happened to me, last year or the year before, but I was hugging the white line and the wind blast blew me off the road. There was a small gravel shoulder and I managed to unclip and stay upright, but I was as pissed as that guy is. I couldn't figure out if it was a local farm truck or from a local gravel hauling company. If I found out, I probably would've made a night visit with a piece of rebar and ventilated their radiators.

I try to avoid roads like that, especially if they're heavily trafficed, but sometimes there isn't much choice unless you want to backtrack for miles.

ducnut 04-26-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 18546808)
Central Florida. I could have guessed as much. :rolleyes

That's what I was thinking, too. :lol3

I drove a truck, for 18yrs, and never ever felt the need to do stupid shit like that. We have a lot of Amish east of here, and I always waited until oncoming traffic was clear and never went past them at more than 30mph. It's simple respect for others. We have three quarries, south of town, and the truckers out there have by far given me the most respect on the road. They always wait and always slow way down and I always wave at them. I'm out there regularly, so I'm guessing they're used to seeing me. Conversely, on the same roads, on Sundays, the geriatric church crowd regularly buzz me. Go figure.

GP640 04-26-2012 07:41 AM

I'd hazard to guess that somewhere that driver is posting in a "cyclists on the road"
rant thread.

Scurley 04-26-2012 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop (Post 18547498)
sometimes there isn't much choice unless you want to backtrack for miles.

True, but I'll happily backtrack for hundreds of rides in order to avoid a single encounter like the one above.

I can't imagine that the FL rednecks are any worse than the drivers we have around here, who often lack respect for their fellow motorists, let alone cyclists. That's why, on my rides, I figure out which neighborhood streets will ultimately connect to my intended destination. Sure, residential roads lack the upkeep that the main roads do and it's often a pain to remember which unremarkable street corner it is that I'm supposed to turn on (was that Junebug or Juneberry?), but it all pays off when I'm the one slowly passing the cars instead of them flying past my left ear.

I should note, though, that this all changes whenever I go back home to SoCal. It's just different there. I guess folks understand that cyclists, too, have their spot on the road.

Gummee! 04-26-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GP640 (Post 18547923)
I'd hazard to guess that somewhere that driver is posting in a "cyclists on the road"
rant thread.

yeah. That thread's up in 'Perfect Line...'

:rolleyes

Some seriously atavistic people on MCs these days.

M

Gummee! 04-26-2012 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scurley (Post 18547949)
True, but I'll happily backtrack for hundreds of rides in order to avoid a single encounter like the one above.

I can't imagine that the FL rednecks are any worse than the drivers we have around here, who often lack respect for their fellow motorists, let alone cyclists. That's why, on my rides, I figure out which neighborhood streets will ultimately connect to my intended destination. Sure, residential roads lack the upkeep that the main roads do and it's often a pain to remember which unremarkable street corner it is that I'm supposed to turn on (was that Junebug or Juneberry?), but it all pays off when I'm the one slowly passing the cars instead of them flying past my left ear.

I should note, though, that this all changes whenever I go back home to SoCal. It's just different there. I guess folks understand that cyclists, too, have their spot on the road.

How long have you been riding?

I can tell you from personal experience that drivers are idiots wherever you go. In the city. Out in the country. Everyeffingwhere. :nod you get used to it. I ignore a lot of stuff. Have for the last 20 years. :nod It takes something pretty egregious to get me worked up.

...or eff with the GF while we're out riding. Quickest way to get me spun up far enough to want to rip someone out of the car and beat the snot out of em. ...and I'm not normally an angry/violent person. :nah

M

Scurley 04-26-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 18548038)

Back in the middle and high school days I used to ride my mountain bikes across town all the time and hit up the mountain trails at least every other weekend. I was probably putting down, I don't know, maybe 50-75 miles a week. This was in '98-'03 or so.

I've gotten back into riding these last 3 years in a 'here and there' sense, but have really been trying to ride at every opportunity for the last 6 months. I'm probably putting down a little over 150 miles a week. Basically, I've converted my commuting time every day into workout time. It helps to have clean clothes already stored at the destination.

You say that "you get used to it," to which I agree, but that doesn't mean that I'm not going to take steps to minimize my encounters with such people.

Aurelius 04-26-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 18548038)

I can tell you from personal experience that drivers are idiots wherever you go. In the city. Out in the country. Everyeffingwhere. :nod you get used to it. I ignore a lot of stuff. Have for the last 20 years. :nod It takes something pretty egregious to get me worked up.

...or eff with the GF while we're out riding. Quickest way to get me spun up far enough to want to rip someone out of the car and beat the snot out of em. ...and I'm not normally an angry/violent person. :nah

M

I've ridden just about everywhere on the East coast and even around Pennsylvania and Ohio. What I find is very different about the typical Florida driver is the attitude of entitlement and contempt for everyone else on the road. There is no such thing as courtesy here. I thought at first that I was just imagining it, until I started car pooling with some others I work with. Then it became clear to me that rather than take simple steps to avoid an accident, the Florida driver is more interested in what happens after the accident occurs -- that is, who is likely to win the civil case when it goes to court. :loco

TheNedster 04-26-2012 08:27 PM

Since we've got the pitchforks and torches out...

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h3LatOGCWVc" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Noreaster 04-28-2012 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheNedster (Post 18553860)
Since we've got the pitchforks and torches out...

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h3LatOGCWVc" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Dude! Was that you? What happened next? What was the excuse?

TheNedster 04-28-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noreaster (Post 18563569)
Dude! Was that you? What happened next? What was the excuse?

Not me. This happened very recently in the Berkeley Hills. There's a concerted effort being made via the Interwebz find the car and its douchenozzle pilot.

Edit: The car has been found, but the douchenozzle is still at large.
http://sfist.com/2012/04/27/berkeley...turns_up_i.php

Edit Pt. 2: Douchnozzle in custody.
http://berkeley.patch.com/articles/a...uspatc00000001

FinlandThumper 04-29-2012 10:42 PM

Man, that Florida video is scary. I remember piloting a Harley through Florida and feeling threatened. Biking must be an adventure.

In America I lived in Madison Wisconsin and Seattle. Both very bike friendly in comparison to many other places. Helsinki is bicycling paradise. At a minimum we get our own lane in traffic, clearly marked, but on main routes they set us up on grade separated paths. My work commute is on a path nearly 1.5 car lanes wide for most of its lengh, limited cross path access, graded for speed and intended to allow two lanes of bike travel per direction with room for pedestrians. It's like heaven for bicycling. Of the 12 miles each way o work, I don't need to share lanes with cars and my only encounters with them are at cross walks. And car drivers are very courteous.

I think overall thugh it's the best solution to build separate bike paths. I know some bicyclists who claim this is relegating bikes to second class status, but in my opinion a separate bike path allows us to attain better speeds in safety.

Aurelius 04-30-2012 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FinlandThumper (Post 18575345)
Man, that Florida video is scary.

According to the news last night, they've found the driver of that car. :clap

Quote:

I think overall thugh it's the best solution to build separate bike paths. I know some bicyclists who claim this is relegating bikes to second class status, but in my opinion a separate bike path allows us to attain better speeds in safety.
I never ride my bike on the street, not just out of concern for my personal safety, but because these kinds of vehicles can't compete with motorized traffic. Bicycles get in everyone's way (especially when riding in groups), and they're too difficult to see. Adding to the danger/nuisance is the fact that bicyclists routinely ignore the rules of the road, which is the reason they're despised by everyone else who has to use public streets.

GP640 04-30-2012 07:13 AM

To relegate bikes to their own path is to open the gate for a flood of
bike/pedestrian conflict.

A pair of seniors out for a stroll or a teen with earbuds can be unpredictable.
I would rather take my chances on the road than run the risk of hitting a pedestrian.

Also consider that some cities (Calgary for sure) try to enforce a speed limit on trails that see heavy
commuter traffic.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:41 PM.