ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

pierce 05-16-2012 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melville (Post 18699841)
That's how I remember it, but couldn't comment on the current item.

Note to Gummee and anyone else who runs into this: Stronglight cranks are yet a different size and if you try to use the TA puller YOU WILL DESTROY THE THREADS. Stronglight are 23.35mm, just to piss us off.

23.35mm??!? thats whack. thats not even a english size.

Blur 05-16-2012 05:42 PM

SheldonBrown.com is saying 23.35mm is pre-1982....

melville 05-16-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blur (Post 18703481)
SheldonBrown.com is saying 23.35mm is pre-1982....

Yeah, I'm old. And 15 years out of the business.

Blur 05-17-2012 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melville (Post 18704274)
Yeah, I'm old. And 15 years out of the business.

Not "old", just "more experienced" .... :thumb

Gummee! 05-17-2012 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 18692919)
Only three. :dunno

Hell, there's a local rider I know who owns NINETEEN bicycles. :lol3

Y'all have never seen Ricky's setup have y'all?

in the 'what makes you smile category:' I was on my way to the ride last nite and realized that the socks I was wearing were the same age as the car I was driving.

Both are darn near old enough to vote!

M

Aurelius 05-17-2012 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 18706412)
Y'all have never seen Ricky's setup have y'all?

Ricky who?

Quote:

in the 'what makes you smile category:' I was on my way to the ride last nite and realized that the socks I was wearing were the same age as the car I was driving.

Both are darn near old enough to vote!

M
Hell, I've got socks older than most of the people I ride with. One pair was purchased back in 1981. :eek1

Gummee! 05-17-2012 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 18706737)
Ricky who?

You've been around since 02 and don't know Ricky? You're not pulling my leg are you?!

Quote:

Hell, I've got socks older than most of the people I ride with. One pair was purchased back in 1981. :eek1
I've got wheelsets in the same category.

M

Blur 05-17-2012 07:29 AM

So if I've gotta carbon fiber road bike and find a couple spots where the top-layer of finish has been scratched away (thereby exposing the fiber to the atmosphere), should I cover the spot with something? lacquer? clear fingernail polish? snot?

Don't care how it looks - just didn't know if there's some weird quirk about carbon fiber turning to jello if it's exposed to the atmosphere or something? :dunno

Aurelius 05-17-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blur (Post 18707024)
So if I've gotta carbon fiber road bike and find a couple spots where the top-layer of finish has been scratched away (thereby exposing the fiber to the atmosphere), should I cover the spot with something? lacquer? clear fingernail polish? snot?

Don't care how it looks - just didn't know if there's some weird quirk about carbon fiber turning to jello if it's exposed to the atmosphere or something? :dunno

I recall being told that exposure to UV light and air is damaging to CF. The CF parts on my '96 Ducati were covered with a thin layer of clearcoat so as to showcase the fiber weave everyone seems to love, but after a few years you could clearly see evidence of sun bleaching. Eventually cracks started to form at the edges, and the parts had to be replaced. I've noticed that on my new bicycles, all the CF is covered in opaque paint, not just clearcoat. I assume this is being done to protect the CF against the damage from UV light. Painting your entire frame in some opaque color might be cost prohibitive, but I would at least put clearcoat back on the exposed portions you mention.

Aurelius 05-17-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 18706764)
You've been around since 02 and don't know Ricky? You're not pulling my leg are you?!

Are you talking about the guy from Colombia? If so, I do know who he is. I purchased one of his custom made handlebars for my 1150GS years ago.

Blur 05-17-2012 10:39 AM

Thanks, OhReallyUs!

Mr Head 05-17-2012 01:48 PM

The clear coat can have anti-UV stuff added so it doesn't hurt things.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 18707372)
I recall being told that exposure to UV light and air is damaging to CF. The CF parts on my '96 Ducati were covered with a thin layer of clearcoat so as to showcase the fiber weave everyone seems to love, but after a few years you could clearly see evidence of sun bleaching. Eventually cracks started to form at the edges, and the parts had to be replaced. I've noticed that on my new bicycles, all the CF is covered in opaque paint, not just clearcoat. I assume this is being done to protect the CF against the damage from UV light. Painting your entire frame in some opaque color might be cost prohibitive, but I would at least put clearcoat back on the exposed portions you mention.

Mr Head 05-17-2012 01:51 PM

You want to keep it sealed from moisture.
Banging it enough to crack off the topcoat and expose fibre is a bad thing. The fibers are not happy to be whacked at.I think I'd use some fiberglass repair epoxy. Check the radio control forums/web for stuff. They use a lot of the stuff, or just ask the LBS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blur (Post 18707024)

Blur 05-17-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Head (Post 18710071)
You want to keep it sealed from moisture.
Banging it enough to crack off the topcoat and expose fibre is a bad thing. The fibers are not happy to be whacked at.I think I'd use some fiberglass repair epoxy. Check the radio control forums/web for stuff. They use a lot of the stuff, or just ask the LBS.

Will do! :thumb

Jim Moore 05-18-2012 06:18 AM

Guys,

Thanks for all the info about crank arm removal, etc. I managed to pull my crank arms last night. I also took the chain rings apart and gave everything a good cleaning. Everything seemed to go back together OK. I also pulled my cassette off the rear wheel and cleaned everything back there. My cassette actually went from black to silver! The bike looks brand-new. Quick question. The cassette lock ring was hand-tight. That's not right, right?

Next up, chain replacement. I've done a few motorcycle chains and I have a motorcycle chain break and rivet tool. Will that work on a bicycle chain?

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:36 AM.