ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Gummee! 06-03-2012 04:58 PM

Ya gotta keep yer head up off-road. :nod Otherwise you get introduced to trees and the other flora and fauna quickly. DAMHIK :bluduh

Glad you had a good time. Now go do it again!

M

Aurelius 06-04-2012 04:58 AM

Wheew!
 
On Sunday I met up with two instructors from 'Traildogs 101' at the Chuck Lennon trail. One of them, who goes by the nickname 'Flex', actually built part of it. To say that he knows this trail like the back of his hand would be an understatement. Since I'm a pretty fast road rider, I had this crazy notion that if I just rode close enough to keep them in sight, it would compensate for my lack of skill and familiarity with the trail, allowing me to blast through the turns like they do. That illusion lasted all of 10 seconds. :eek1

Once we were all back in the parking lot, I asked Flex to do me a favor and do another run wearing my video camera. If he can go this fast when he's already tired, I can just imagine what the first run must have been like. :bow :bow

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CjMW9-DG7Ko?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CjMW9-DG7Ko?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Aurelius 06-04-2012 06:12 AM

Trails that suck
 
I've been riding the trails at Santos pretty regularly, and having finally mastered all the beginner and intermediate trails out there, I thought I was ready to tackle the 'Experts Only' red trails. Having reviewed miles of video footage of these trails, I falsely assumed that there was nothing in them that I couldn't handle. I should have known better. I've observed from my own videos that they paint a very deceptive picture of what the trails are really like: steep climbs and descents appear almost as if they're flat, tight turns look like big sweepers, and large roots, rocks, and other obstructions you encounter on the trail are hardly perceptible. :huh Rule of thumb: if you watch a video of a trail to gauge its difficulty, assume that the actual trail is two to three times more difficult than it appears to be on camera.

I tried four of the Red trails at Santos, starting with one called 'Sink Hole'. It sucked mightily. From the very start I had to thread my way between trees spaced so close together that my handlebars barely fit between them, and these seemed to always occur at the apex of a tight turn. Between these trees lay a thick carpet of roots big enough to bring your front wheel to a grinding halt. Blasting through them won't work because you'll run right off the trail. Throughout I kept telling myself that the rest of the trail couldn't possibly be that bad because no one in his right mind would want to ride it. I was wrong. :bluduh Once having reached the bottom of Sink Hole, I decided to retrace my steps, thinking that climbing up the other side might be even worse. By the time I got out, I was so exhausted that I had to find a spot to lie down. I'll spare you my account of the other Red trails except to say that they were all horrible - not always in the same way - but because going through them amounted to a titanic mental and physical struggle. Much like wrestling a gorilla, here's just nothing enjoyable or rewarding about it. You can be glad that you survived it, but it's certainly nothing you'd want to do again. :puke1

zippy 06-04-2012 07:55 AM

got a good 1 1/2 - 2 hours in at croom yesterday morning. Was a beautiful 64 degrees when we started. Many many many spiders .
I am hoping at least one was radioactive so I may be blessed with super powers. Trails were nice with the recent rains.


aurelius - put moonscape @ alafia on the trails that suck list...

Aurelius 06-04-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy (Post 18833387)
got a good 1 1/2 - 2 hours in at croom yesterday morning. Was a beautiful 64 degrees when we started. Many many many spiders .
I am hoping at least one was radioactive so I may be blessed with super powers. Trails were nice with the recent rains.

Where exactly is Croom, and does it cost anything to get in? :ear

Quote:

aurelius - put moonscape @ alaphia on the trails that suck list...
Funny you should mention it. That very trail came up for discussion during our ride. One person thought it was great; the others thought it sucked ass. :lol3

Gummee! 06-04-2012 08:29 AM

Feel like joining in?

M

zippy 06-04-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 18833608)
Where exactly is Croom, and does it cost anything to get in? :ear





Funny you should mention it. That very trail came up for discussion during our ride. One person thought it was great; the others thought it sucked ass. :lol3

Croom/Withlacoochee state forest you exit 75 at state road 50 @ brooksville. There are many places to park only the furthest lot in asks you pay $2 per person.


yeah great so long as you don't mind carrying your bike up a bunch of steep inclines

Weirdo 06-04-2012 09:16 AM

Just got punnished yesterday on what was supposed to be a nice 85K ride back to town from out in the sitcks.

Jumped on the bike and started bucking a non stop headwind that just would let up. The first 50K were cruel and then the hills started.

What a mess.

http://weirdo.smugmug.com/Sports/Cyc...0/L/Ride-L.jpg

yater 06-04-2012 11:33 AM

Wind is such a beatdown. At least you can see hills coming. I suck in the wind. The big diesel guys seem to excell...that's not me. I'm the bum catching a draft.

Weirdo 06-04-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yater (Post 18835047)
Wind is such a beatdown. At least you can see hills coming. I suck in the wind. The big diesel guys seem to excell...that's not me. I'm the bum catching a draft.

Ugh, what a grunt.

At one point my heart was doing 165 BPM to get me to go 22KPH (13 MPH) it was humiliating.

PineyMountainRacing 06-04-2012 02:19 PM

valid-bike.com
 
Anybody heard of them? I've been getting back jnto cycling overe the last 9 months, and am thinking about a new road bike. I like my '88 Schwinn Prelude - chrome moly frame and all, but have ridden a bunch of demo bikes lately. Top 2 for me are the CAAD10 or the Super Six, with the Ultegra package. This website has some "unbelievable" prices. Too good to be true?

Gummee! 06-04-2012 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing (Post 18836350)
Anybody heard of them? I've been getting back jnto cycling overe the last 9 months, and am thinking about a new road bike. I like my '88 Schwinn Prelude - chrome moly frame and all, but have ridden a bunch of demo bikes lately. Top 2 for me are the CAAD10 or the Super Six, with the Ultegra package. This website has some "unbelievable" prices. Too good to be true?

Typically, if it sounds too good to be true, it generally is.

Other than that, I haven't heard of that company.

Did 2:30 today. Despite the mouth breathers in the thread I linked to above, there were no idiots on the road. Some rolly hills, lots of wind, and the realization that carrying water bottles in yer jersey pockets sucks.

...but the Full Tilt Boogie is still a rocketship!

M

YakSpout 06-04-2012 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 18836385)
Typically, if it sounds too good to be true, it generally is.

Other than that, I haven't heard of that company.

Did 2:30 today. Despite the mouth breathers in the thread I linked to above, there were no idiots on the road. Some rolly hills, lots of wind, and the realization that carrying water bottles in yer jersey pockets sucks.

...but the Full Tilt Boogie is still a rocketship!

M

Good onya for keeping up the fight, Gummee. :bow

I can only handle so much and just reading a few posts in those kinds of threads has me clicking the 'back' button. :puke1

Gummee! 06-04-2012 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakSpout (Post 18836450)
Good onya for keeping up the fight, Gummee. :bow

I can only handle so much and just reading a few posts in those kinds of threads has me clicking the 'back' button. :puke1

I know I'm beating a dead horse 'cause their minds are made up and nothing but nothing I'M going to say is going to change it.

...but I'm tenacious enough to think 'maybe just this once...'

M

YakSpout 06-04-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 18836504)
I know I'm beating a dead horse 'cause their minds are made up and nothing but nothing I'M going to say is going to change it.

...but I'm tenacious enough to think 'maybe just this once...'

M

:thumbup

On the plus side, now that YakSprout is 3 mos old, my wife is getting back on her bike and we did ~24mi this weekend. We even linked up with my mom and rode about 4-5 mi with her on the paths near her place. I'm going to have to work out some mid-week 'interval commutes', though, if my weekend rides will be spent bringing other folks up to speed. :lol3


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015