ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

rbrsddn 05-29-2012 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blur (Post 18792931)
I cracked two ribs each of the first two years after getting back into mountain biking. I was afraid it was going to become a tradition :lol3
Thankfully, haven't cracked any ribs since 2008.

Werd!:lol3 I separated my shoulder in '99 on the Fat Chance, first ride with my new Time Atac's. Popped a wheelie in a neighbors driveway, bounced off a tree, while failing at unclipping, and had my first visit with Vicodin. Collarbone was on the M/C, but a few firsts there too. First ambulance ride ever. First taste of Morphine. First long ride home with then GF while not talking for hours... Not things I want to repeat anytime soon! :1drink the plus side of the collarbone was it happened at the beginning of the '03 TDF. I laid on the couch for 3 weeks watching bike racing, popping Vicodin.:D

Oznerol 05-29-2012 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 18792440)
its a lot easier on your bike and wallet to learn how to pick a line and ride smoothly.

I started learning much faster on a FS bike. Because when I chose a bad line, I still knew it -- the squish doesn't hide your mistakes, it just reduces the associated penalty a bit. That made me bolder about trying new things, which helped me to learn more quickly. Also, I didn't wear out nearly as quickly from soaking up the hits with my legs, so I rode more, which also contributed to faster learning.

But more importantly: I have more fun riding a more capable machine. That's what it's all about in the end.

Aurelius 05-29-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brewer90 (Post 18792316)
I'm faster on my 29er than on my 26er on my timed route that I've been riding for four years. I also climb better on it and clear a lot of rocky ledge climbs that I never could before it. I broke my rear derailleur on my Niner and went back to my Yeti 26er and didn't like it. I sold it once I got my Niner fixed. Different strokes I guess.

Odd that you should say that. I shaved over 20 seconds off my best lap time on my favorite local trail just by switching to a 26er. Both my 29er and 26's have carbon fiber frames, and weigh about the same (~27 lbs), but the amount of inertia those big 29er wheels produce makes the bike feel much more sluggish during rapid directional changes. I really want to love the 29er, but the 26er is a much more enjoyable and engaging ride.

brewer90 05-29-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 18795177)
Odd that you should say that. I shaved over 20 seconds off my best lap time on my favorite local trail just by switching to a 26er. Both my 29er and 26's have carbon fiber frames, and weigh about the same (~27 lbs), but the amount of inertia those big 29er wheels produce makes the bike feel much more sluggish during rapid directional changes. I really want to love the 29er, but the 26er is a much more enjoyable and engaging ride.

I can easily see feeling that way. I do get that sluggishness too when I try to rapidly accelerate out of a slow section. In order to get the faster time I had to change my riding style and start carrying more speed through the corners in order to keep my momentum up and keep those big wheels rolling. We have a lot of rocks out here so the big wheels help on that too which is one of the reasons I switched.

TheNedster 05-29-2012 09:36 PM

I quit riding my 26er once I got my 29er. Having re-entered cycling 3-4 yrs. ago on a 'cross bike, I feel like I've learned to better manage the larger wheels on the trail. It's faster and less tiring for the type of riding I do- mostly XC type stuff. To be fair, it is slightly lighter than the old 26er with much better componentry (2X10 kicks ass!). I sent the 26er to go live with my brother last weekend.

Phunkshun 05-30-2012 01:40 AM

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67...OVE-peeler.jpg

This isn't mine but same spec as this one, weighs a ton, 8ichs travel front and rear and rides smooth as.

haven't read through all these posts but just seeing how many other DH guys are out there

Lewy 05-30-2012 03:57 AM

Another Go Pro filmed video from and early morning ride on Sunday.

This time on my Reign.

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qO4okigWLIk" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Aurelius 05-30-2012 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brewer90 (Post 18795309)
I can easily see feeling that way. I do get that sluggishness too when I try to rapidly accelerate out of a slow section. In order to get the faster time I had to change my riding style and start carrying more speed through the corners in order to keep my momentum up and keep those big wheels rolling. We have a lot of rocks out here so the big wheels help on that too which is one of the reasons I switched.

I get the part about having to carry more speed into the turns on the 29er. But here's the problem I've had doing that: if I don't know the trail like the back of my hand, and can't see all the way through the turn, I have no way to anticipate what I'll encounter once I'm in it. Modulating my speed to make rapid course and speed adjustments in response to changes in terrain is much easier with the 26er's lighter wheels and quicker steering. The same thing happens in steep hill climbs, where you can rocket upwards only to find that your path takes you straight into a big rock or root that you couldn't see from below, or that the trail suddenly makes a sharp turn at the top. This happens all the time on the Red trails at Santos, or the steep climbs at Chuck Lennon. Having ridden those same trails on both bikes, there is no doubt in my mind that the 26er turning quickness and ability to accelerate and stop faster were a huge benefit. And when you're 51 years old, you really come to appreciate the 26er's plush 6" suspension travel when going off drops. Trust me. :D

Gummee! 05-30-2012 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brewer90 (Post 18792883)
And why is this not possible on a 29er?

Never said it wasn't. ...but but its easier on equipment and your wallet if you do.

Take my buddy on the 29er who dinged his rim on a rock but I didn't (on my 26er) its all about picking lines and riding smoothly. :nod Luckily, he got the rim straightened back out for free, if he hadn't Reynolds rims aren't cheap!

M

Aurelius 05-30-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 18797096)
Never said it wasn't. ...but but its easier on equipment and your wallet if you do.

Take my buddy on the 29er who dinged his rim on a rock but I didn't (on my 26er) its all about picking lines and riding smoothly. :nod Luckily, he got the rim straightened back out for free, if he hadn't Reynolds rims aren't cheap!

M

I've been told repeatedly by 'people in the know' that a 26" rim can handle a lot more impact than a 29" rim. From a structural standpoint, it's not hard to see why, but I wonder just how big a difference there is. The dealer had no problem when I suggested I might eventually try the 10' drops at Santos on my 26er, but warned that doing anything like that on the 29er would likely result in structural failure and void the warranty.

Blur 05-30-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 18797124)
I've been told repeatedly by 'people in the know' that a 26" rim can handle a lot more impact than a 29" rim. .

Not the rim, the wheel as a whole.... due to the length of the spokes....

And there is a big hit, DH 29'er.... made by Devin Lenz.... the Lenzsport PBJ
29" wheels, 7 inches of travel..

http://www.lenzsport.com/images/bike...ent500X305.jpg

Offblnz 05-30-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Head (Post 18785524)
Got out for another ride. Hotter than Sunday and windy again.

That left me sore. I used up two bottles of nuun, and four of water. Only ate two Chomps.
Had to stop about a mile from home in some shade for a few minutes.
When I got home I pulled the junk out of my pockets kicked off my shoes and socks re-loaded a bottle with ice and water and hit the pool. That started to get me cooled down. Two bottles of water and two big glasses of water later I am feeling not too bad. :clap
The good news is my back doesn't hurt. Bad news is the damned toilet tank leaks.:baldy

Tale of the tape:

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='http://app.strava.com/runs/9569132/embed/c41ed8aed470939c0ef31cb84f1cfb27e55215e2'></iframe>

Cool maps. How hot does it get out there now?

Most important tip I got from pro racers are "miles not speed, makes you fast!" so be easy on yourself and try to enjoy it without taking the last 10 miles home in an whambalance:lol3

I have just now started up again. I got so tired of the way people were treating bicyclist and how the roads got worse and worse (potholes deep enough for spelunking:lol3) so I stayed with my motorcycle. At least you can accelerate out of trouble on those. But I've been riding since I was a kid and I really miss it when I don't, so I'm back and have found a route that's okay for now. Problem is, it's tourist season here in Maine soon and that means car drivers from other parts of the US whom are not, how should I put it, proficient, yeah, good word, whom are not proficient in controlling a vehicle on narrow roads while looking at our breathtaking scenery.
But, I'm back and I'm taking it easy because I don't want to break something (I'm getting older) and because I would like a full season with lots of miles and smile.:lol3 I would like a new bike though, my Cannondale is 11 years old, looks new, but, you know....:D

Tallbastid 05-30-2012 07:39 PM

Was granny gearing up my favorite trail last week, very steep and rocky. Heard metal break, pedals kept moving but I stopped moving. Ended up blowing out my freewheel hub. Bike is now in the shop... Worth upgrading to a better freewheel for around two hundred bucks?? This is a 2012 giant reign 2, not clear yet if giant will warranty the hub, but my thought is if it has happened once, it will again if I go back to the stock hub.

Favorite thing I've ever bought:
http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/...1/bab39f54.jpg

Extras include shorter stem, wtb seat, wider and higher rise bars, platform pedals, dh inner tubes.

brewer90 05-30-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brton161 (Post 18802327)
Was granny gearing up my favorite trail last week, very steep and rocky. Heard metal break, pedals kept moving but I stopped moving. Ended up blowing out my freewheel hub. Bike is now in the shop... Worth upgrading to a better freewheel for around two hundred bucks?? This is a 2012 giant reign 2, not clear yet if giant will warranty the hub, but my thought is if it has happened once, it will again if I go back to the stock hub.

Nice bike. Looks like it would soak up everything.

I'm a big fan of Chris King hubs but they are spendy. Hope hubs are pretty bombproof but they are the straight pipes of the bike world. Loud hubs saves lives! I have two friends that have been riding them for a couple of years with zero issues. You can get a rear Hope Pro II for $170 delivered from wiggle.com in the uk with free shipping vs mid $200s from US stores. Or you can go with an XT hub which is a step up the food chain from what you have now and I bet your shop has it in stock.

What type of hub are they suggesting? Does the $200 include rebuilding the wheel or is that the hub price?

Aurelius 05-31-2012 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phunkshun (Post 18796341)
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y67...OVE-peeler.jpg

This isn't mine but same spec as this one, weighs a ton, 8ichs travel front and rear and rides smooth as.

haven't read through all these posts but just seeing how many other DH guys are out there

That frame looks like it's built for an elephant. :huh

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:37 AM.