ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Mercury264 06-19-2012 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 18943499)
As strange as this might sound, this case actually has more going for it than some of the others I've heard of. My best friend from high school joined a big firm in California specializing in personal injury cases. Some of the suits he was involved in just beggar belief. My first thought when he told me about them was that he was just making stuff up to get a rise out of me. It was much easier to believe that, than to believe that such utterly frivolous claims ever get as far as a courtroom. :cry

Next time you see him....kick him in the nuts :lol3

Really, is there more lowly a profession than 'personal-injury lawyer' ? And yes, I'm being somewhat facetious, but holee hell a lot of them are lower than shark shit.

Aurelius 06-19-2012 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264 (Post 18944027)
Next time you see him....kick him in the nuts :lol3

Really, is there more lowly a profession than 'personal-injury lawyer' ? And yes, I'm being somewhat facetious, but holee hell a lot of them are lower than shark shit.

:nod We had a violent disagreement over it. He and I didn't speak to each other for years after that. I remember him being very idealistic when we were growing up, so I couldn't believe what an unprincipled whore he'd become after he obtained his law degree. Eventually he reached the point where he could no longer look himself in the mirror and left the legal profession - after he made millions of dollars, of course. Now he's part owner of a railroad company. At least it's an honest living. :lol3

Chisenhallw 06-19-2012 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Head (Post 18942087)
Hemmorids kick up my suffer score?

Yes. +500 for getting in the saddle, with another 350 if there's no cutout. If you're actually trailing chewy spaghetti on the pavement behind you, you've just earned enough points to crotchpunt Chuck Norris.

k7 06-19-2012 07:58 AM

The 600 report

The third time was the charm! What's different this time? Well, this was the Salt Lake Randonneurs' Triple Loop 600 - a route that will become known as a beautiful ride in a state where we were treated extremely well.

The weather forecast was spectacular as compare to the AZ Tombstone 600 where we endured continuous rain, freezing temps, hail and wind. In actuality, the temps were well into the 90's and we suffered a little but nothing that a couple of boys from AZ can't handle.

The route was also much, much simpler than the OC 600. I enjoyed the bike paths there and the other riders we encountered were as well-behaved as the traffic. A missed turn put us and five other riders too far off course. It was our mistake and we learned from that lesson too.

I left Phoenix at 10 AM last Wednesday. The plan was to make the drive to Nephi UT in two days and really enjoy the trip. I spent the night in Panguitch where I've been twice before on motorcycle trips. I arrived in Nephi around 1 pm and started prepping my recumbent for the ride.

Part of that prep involved making a new seat pad. When I left the office in Phoenix, I was distracted and forgot to remove my seat pad. I realized what happened way outside of Flagstaff. I didn't panic – instead, I stopped in Parker AZ and purchased a camping foam mat at WalMart along with a utility knife and some velcro strips.

I quickly trimmed out two pieces to lay back-to-back and then used the velcro to keep them in place. I was quite irritated at having lost a seat pad and having to 'make do' for a 600k.

My riding partner showed up late that night and quickly got himself organized. We set our alarm for 3:30 AM to eat and prepare for the 5 AM start on Friday morning.

Richard Stum is the local RBA and one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet. There were only five that signed up for the ride, 4 on the 600k event and one on the 400k event.

The first 60 miles were uneventful - we knew that the biggest climb of 2100 ft started outside of Sigurd and it went on for about 10 miles but we also knew that the reward was a nice long gradual decent - not enough to coast all the way but enough to lighten the load.

The rest of the day was uneventful - just turn the pedals, watch for vehicles and talk to folks at our stops. This is rural Utah and in these small towns, I imagine most of these are LDS - we were treated extremely well. As we progressed towards evening, we found ourselves closing in on Big Rock Candy Mountain which, if you know the song, was named after the song came out. US 89 runs here and the route put us on a 12-mile bicycle path. Riding beside the Sevier River in a late daylight was pretty cool - literally.

On the bike path:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...etta/photo.jpg

The worst part of the ride put us back on US 50 outside of Aurora for another longish climb towards I-15 and Scipio. That road had a bit of truck traffic headed to the interstate and not much of a shoulder to ride on either. Luckily, it was dark and I was comfortable riding the lane and could see well enough behind me to move over for traffic. As typical in Utah, most of the uphills were two lanes up. I only recall a few instances were we were short of traffic lanes - mostly, it was good shoulders and wide lanes plus the scenery was beyond spectacular on Friday.

Once we cleared the Scipio control, we headed up the access road beside the interstate and then took a slight turn to the east where we cycled by Yuba State Park. It was getting fairly late so the park was quiet – everyone else was asleep. We headed a bit to the north were we enjoyed a fast ride on I-15 for about 5 miles or so. I was worried about this part but due to the hour, traffic was low and very respectful. I don't recall a single vehicle that failed to move over to the other lane!

The rest of the night was kind of cold – probably in the mid-50's which felt good after the heat of the day. We had picked up another rider who was slowly but surely getting sick. We spent that last 20 miles with her throwing up every few miles. That slowed us down a little but there was no way I was leaving her out there by herself in that condition. We arrived back to the hotel around 2:45 AM which gave us enough time to sleep until 5:45. I fell asleep at 3:30 and got just over two hours of sleep. I had sent my wife an email and told her we'd be up at 5:45 and of course, she called at 5:48 to give us some encouragement! We managed a good breakfast and hit the road by 7 AM. That gave us an hour in the bank for the remaining 200-km which was reported to be flat. The plan was simple - enjoy the last 200 k and be safe.

As we headed out of Nehpi towards Mona, we turned a little west and enjoyed a little canyon riding towards Goshen. As I made the turn into Elberta, my front wheel washed out in gravel and I went down hard. There were some Jeepers waiting on their friends and they asked if I was ok. I laid there for a few seconds to do a quick inventory of my feelings and pain. Nothing felt broken and as I got up, I didn't seem any worse for wear. Nothing on the bike was broken – I adjusted the handlebars a bit and got ready to go.

Then, I noticed something was wrong with my left shoe – the quick-release buckle was broken. OK – not a big deal. I fished out some duct tape and did three wraps around my shoe. Not quite “Breaking Away” but it enabled me to continue the ride!

Our goal today was essentially to cycle around Utah Lake. The west side isn't really developed until you get up to the northwest corner of the lake. David and I rode together a lot but for the most part, I ended up well in front of him and would wait at major turns until he caught up. Our route took us through a housing development so I waited at this turn for him. In fact, I found a nice, shaded sidewalk, parked my bike so he could see it and laid down to rest.

An older lady walked by and asked if I was ok – I confirmed that I was and she went on her way. 15 minutes later, she was back and asked me again. I guess I looked more “homeless” than “cyclist” and she was truly concerned. David rode up literally seconds later and the lady relaxed knowing that we were on a event together. I was touched and grateful for her concern though!

One thing that struck me about Utah was the economy – it really seems to be booming. Every other vehicle was a huge 4X4 puling a ski boat. Unbelievable. For the most part, we didn't have any issues – it was just a typical summer Saturday near a major lake!

Richard Stum was all over the place. We couldn't ride 50 miles without seeing him on the route. And seeing Richard meant access to a cooler full of drinks, fruit and snacks. Man – you couldn't have asked for more from an RBA.

When we were cycling in Provo, someone stopped us for directions – I didn't stop but David went to school there and clearly knows his way around. When he caught up with me, I asked him about the stop. “She wanted to know how to get to BYU.” His response? “Study hard and get a good SAT score.” And then, he laughed and gave her directions.

We were stopped by Richard again a bit north of Payson and had yet another drink and snack. Richard gave a heads-up about the next climb and of course, we missed our turn, went up the hill for about a mile before I realized we were off the course. We talked about it and decided to go back to the wrong turn per the rules and to insure we didn't mess up completely. Now, I hate getting off course but I'd rather ride downhill to get back on track than have to go uphill! Unfortunately, we went down the hill just to discover we had to go back uphill only a block over! Oh well, we were within the rules and this second hill wasn't quite as steep.

By this time, we were both ready to finish - I did my typical ride-ahead of David and flew back through Mona at close to 20 mph. When I reached the final turn 5 miles from Nephi, I waited on David. He came along shortly and we rolled into Nephi at 7:15 pm. That put us at 38:15 total – not a fast time but that wasn't our objective – we only wanted to finish and we accomplished that.

I drove back to Phoenix on Sunday- fairly sore but nothing major. My wife scheduled a massage for me yesterday so I went to a local spa and used their jacuzzi and pool before the massage. I'm a little sore but nothing major.

Next up is the CO Last Chance. I have a lot of work to do between now and then and I'll likely stay on South Mt every Sunday until then. It'll do me good and this kind of training help me on this 600 also. I never rode more than 50 miles since the last 600 attempt and I was fine – not the fastest but plenty of strength. Right now, I can't quite wrap my head around a 1200 – but, I'll figure it out with the advice here and on other sites!

k7 06-19-2012 08:09 AM

From fat to fit

...by the way, here's what I looked like a decade ago:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...02002-3/GS.jpg

Between the adkins diet, then the gym and then cycling, I've lost about 50 pounds.

Mercury264 06-19-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k7 (Post 18944833)

Between the adkins diet, then the gym and then cycling, I've lost about 50 pounds.

That is freakin' awesome :clap

Gives me some hope :lol3

Chisenhallw 06-19-2012 08:38 AM

Go, man, go!

Mr Head 06-19-2012 09:53 AM

Great job on the 600 riding. That is cool. Quite a bit more than I can chew right now, and 1200!? Wow.:eek1

Cool report too. :thumb

Thanks for taking us along, and not making us climb the hills.:lol3

Mr Head 06-19-2012 12:18 PM

Awesome!:thumb

I'm working on another 10 or 15 myself. I was closer in January and now am back at it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by k7 (Post 18944833)

Gummee! 06-19-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Head (Post 18946520)
Awesome!:thumb

I'm working on another 10 or 15 myself. I was closer in January and now am back at it.

2-a-days are what's doing it for me. Keep the rpm up and watch it melt off.

M

Oznerol 06-19-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 18936565)
No doubt there are worse trails (Sinkhole is the easiest of the Red trails out there), but I have to wonder why anyone would want to ride trails like that. I only do it to increase my skill level, but once having acquired those skills, I can't envision a time when I'll actually look forward to riding them. :dunno

People enjoy trials riding. Do you think that's weird?

Mr Head 06-20-2012 10:14 AM

I sure wish I could manage two a day workouts on the bike. I'm also working ten hour days with an hour commute tacked on either end. I got 25 in last night. Lots of spinning.
I walk during lunch too. Hoping to get that up to 3 miles.
And on days like today where I won't get home until late, I'll run.
Oh, and getting my diet in order. Not a diet plan/special food, rather cutting the junk and portion control. That was working well in January.
@172 last night post ride. I had to grab a gel at the turn around to relax my cramping shins and calf muscles. It seems if I spin lightly I get cramps, so upping the pressure by a gear and getting that gel and more water in me makes it all go away. At the end of January I'd hit a low of 158.

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='http://app.strava.com/runs/11250030/embed/ae0743ed860ad74f7943f05ffb05af65ebea0db8'></iframe>

The headwind on the way out was pretty heavy I was only able to manage low speed with a lot of spinning in low gears. I have yet to spend any time in that big ring on even flat ground. Heck, I haven't even gotten to the outside of the cogs in the 39 yet. I have a ways to go. But, then I'm not racing I'm wearing the fat off.
When I turned for home as I figured out the sun goes down sometime after 7 so I'd better get my lightless butt back up the hill before then. The headwind became a nice tailwind that for a bit pushed me pretty good and at least was not holding me back in some other places.
Still just spinning on the flats. Legs felt better so maybe in a couple of weeks I can get all the way down to Newport COast and ride that again, and begin to get climbing and longer miles in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 18948020)
2-a-days are what's doing it for me. Keep the rpm up and watch it melt off.

M

Gummee! 06-20-2012 10:17 AM

Can ya commute by bike? That helped me get in 2-a-days.

I just got done with a couple of hours of isometrics. aka mowing the lawn. :bluduh We have a Scag stand-behind mower. Hafta keep the knees unlocked to absorb the shocks.

M

Scurley 06-20-2012 10:34 AM

If my commute is only 12 or 13 miles each way, would that count as a two-a-day, or just a onesie with a fat break in the middle? It doesn't help that the only hill is a bridge that crosses a small canal.

Gummee! 06-20-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scurley (Post 18953864)
If my commute is only 12 or 13 miles each way, would that count as a two-a-day, or just a onesie with a fat break in the middle? It doesn't help that the only hill is a bridge that crosses a small canal.

Depends on what you're doing... intervals/sprints? Sure its a 2-a-day. JRA? well... sorta

M

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:18 PM.