ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

TheYeti 07-11-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k7 (Post 19106687)
<EMBED height=360 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=640 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/WKAMus3oSdw?version=3&feature=player_detailpage allowScriptAccess="always" allowfullscreen="true">

DAMN!!!! that's a go cart with three wheels.

k7 07-11-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheYeti (Post 19107253)
DAMN!!!! that's a go cart with three wheels.

Do you remember how many people were injured with Honda brought out their early Honda ATC's? I'm afraid I'd kill myself with one of these. I've rolled one trike before - the only motor was me. :lol3

k7 07-11-2012 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat0020 (Post 19107172)
Should be in The Thread of Awesome!! :clap

Done - thanks!

29andSingle 07-11-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lubes17319 (Post 19097135)
Hydrate constantly (beer has water in it) during your stay, & in advance as well, it's stinkin' arid out here.
Your body will thank you.

Is this the lubes over on MTBR by chance?

Chisenhallw 07-11-2012 03:30 PM

Well now I know what I can do with this tadpole trike I got laying around.

ducnut 07-12-2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k7 (Post 19106687)
<EMBED height=360 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=640 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/WKAMus3oSdw?version=3&feature=player_detailpage allowScriptAccess="always" allowfullscreen="true">

Sign me up for one, too. WOW!!!!!!!

ducnut 07-12-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 19104869)
I noticed last week that my 26er's front wheel comes up too easily on hill climbs, no matter how I positioned myself. On very steep hills, it proved to be impossible to keep the front end down, even with my chest as far over the handlebars as possible. A more experienced riders tells me that instead of using the large gear in front and the largest gear in back, I should have used the small gear in front and the third or even fourth largest gear in back. He claimed this would even out the torque spikes going to the back wheel and prevent the front end from coming up with every pedal stroke. I haven't had the chance to try his advice due to rain, but I can't see why this would make a difference. Won't the amount of torque be approximately the same in both cases?

:scratch

Basically, the guy is telling you to spin (high cadence equals smoother pedal input) up the hills instead of mashing it. Also, that bike is designed to be an excellent downhiller that can be OK at going up hill. The geometry is laid back on it, for the purpose of keeping your weight to the rear, so it's going to wheelie on every uphill. Your 29er is a much better climber.

Gummee! 07-12-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo (Post 19105328)
I was 200 when we met in west fest. :dunno

Remember that I am 6'1

humph

Ride more. Eat less.

AFA the mechanic's gig: the guy didn't call. I didn't think I had the job, but this pretty well seals it. If you say you're going to call, call. Even if its to say 'I don't think this'll work.'

M

Aurelius 07-12-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut (Post 19112170)
Basically, the guy is telling you to spin (high cadence equals smoother pedal input) up the hills instead of mashing it. Also, that bike is designed to be an excellent downhiller that can be OK at going up hill. The geometry is laid back on it, for the purpose of keeping your weight to the rear, so it's going to wheelie on every uphill. Your 29er is a much better climber.

It wasn't long ago that I was extolling the quicker handling of my 26er, but it does appear that on trails which don't call for a quick handling bike, the 29er has served me better. It was only on the 29er, for instance, that I managed to make it through the uphill rock gardens and heavily rooted sections of the Sink Hole trail without having to put a foot down. Four times I attempted it on the 26er, and four times I got stuck. :dunno

TheYeti 07-12-2012 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 19112187)
humph

Ride more. Eat less.

AFA the mechanic's gig: the guy didn't call. I didn't think I had the job, but this pretty well seals it. If you say you're going to call, call. Even if its to say 'I don't think this'll work.'

M

That's only good manners. I think they don't want to" man up" and deal with the call, but damnit if you're doing the hiring that's part of the job.

JG

Gummee! 07-12-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheYeti (Post 19113922)
That's only good manners. I think they don't want to" man up" and deal with the call, but damnit if you're doing the hiring that's part of the job.

JG

Yup.

I'm a big boy. I can handle you saying 'I don't think its going to work' or 'we've found another candidate.' :nod

What I can't stand is not following thru on your commitments.

M

Aurelius 07-12-2012 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 19114044)
Yup.

I'm a big boy. I can handle you saying 'I don't think its going to work' or 'we've found another candidate.' :nod

What I can't stand is not following thru on your commitments.

M

One of my riding buddies who had interviewed for a job recently had an even worse experience. When more than a week had gone by with no word, he finally called the company back and was told that they have a policy against hiring ex-convicts. :huh He told the woman on the other end that he'd never even been arrested. He tried to determine whether they might have confused him with someone else by the same name, but the woman said that they could not give out any personal information and hung up. WTF? :scratch

Gummee! 07-12-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 19114170)
One of my riding buddies who had interviewed for a job recently had an even worse experience. When more than a week had gone by with no word, he finally called the company back and was told that they have a policy against hiring ex-convicts. :huh He told the woman on the other end that he'd never even been arrested. He tried to determine whether they might have confused him with someone else by the same name, but the woman said that they could not give out any personal information and hung up. WTF? :scratch

Nice

Course, that's one way to give people the brush-off without having to answer a question they probably don't have the answer to.

:dunno

Just got back from my 'round the block' hour-long loop. Tossed in a lap of my cross course to work on my mounts. Anything faster'n a walk and I've got a stutter step. :bluduh Gotta get rid of that. The 10' it costs me every time is 10 more feet I gotta make up.

M

Aurelius 07-12-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 19114181)
Nice

Course, that's one way to give people the brush-off without having to answer a question they probably don't have the answer to.

:dunno

If that's what she was doing, it's a pretty reprehensible way to go about it. Now Dave is worried that there might actually be someone in the area with his name and a criminal record for prospective employers to find when doing a routine background check. If there is, he might be instantly disqualified as an applicant for any number of jobs without ever being told the reason.

Gummee! 07-12-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 19114289)
If that's what she was doing, it's a pretty reprehensible way to go about it. Now Dave is worried that there might actually be someone in the area with his name and a criminal record for prospective employers to find when doing a routine background check. If there is, he might be instantly disqualified as an applicant for any number of jobs without ever being told the reason.

If he's got a fairly common name, it may be. Transpose his middle initial and presto! instant bad background

M

Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:43 AM.