ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

mud 07-03-2012 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 19046521)
OMFG. :eek1

Yes, but there are some really good techniques to learn from those videos.... They do pretty good job with the camera work so you can see how they are doing it.

Aurelius 07-03-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 19046514)
Nice to see people pulling off the trails to let people thru.

:thumb

One of my biggest pet peeves is people getting in the way. :nod Momentum is so key off-road... If you've screwed up, don't screw me up too! In return, if I screw up, I'm going to pull off the trail till you (if you're the last guy in the line) goes thru.

M

I always pull off the trail for better/faster riders. They're easy to spot at Santos: they always ride very close together in groups of four or five, and they'll be wearing 'Team USA' shirts. I'm sure I'd be a faster rider too if I wore one of those. :lol3

Aurelius 07-03-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud (Post 19046539)
Yes, but there are some really good techniques to learn from those videos.... They do pretty good job with the camera work so you can see how they are doing it.

I kept looking for the wires, but didn't see any. :lol3

Aurelius 07-03-2012 07:35 AM

Another video starring Anthony LaRocca

Maybe the Vortex is easy compared to this. :dunno

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sMCJ0U1nwuI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gummee! 07-04-2012 09:21 AM

Got talked into going riding (pushie) this AM. Start time 0700. Ugh. I AM NOT a morning person. :nono

3:25 moving time. 4:00 overall

I'm tired. :nod ..and I think I'm supposed to do another ride very similar tomorrow too!

Happy 4th of July folks. May your BBQs be fun and booze-filled!

M

Ridge 07-04-2012 11:44 AM

Ouch... nap time; then fireworks. Hope you guys got in a ride today.

<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='http://app.strava.com/runs/12452853/embed/a3e1d4071711178e7054a43ca5d054534dc9733e'></iframe>

pierce 07-04-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 19039717)
It was very bitter, and the taste was overpowering. 'Skunky' is a good way to describe it; if you could convert the noxious odor of a skunk into a flavor, that's what it would be like. :puke2

IPA's (India Pale Ale) are supposed to be rather bitter and strong. I suppose its an acquired taste, like single malt whisky.

Mr Head 07-04-2012 01:35 PM

Broken spoke on the fancy Roubiax rear wheel has that part at the shop. The LBS had to order a spoke, (Specialized shop)... So much for that.:huh

So, instead I'm at work, riding my ergo-chair and waiting on software... Server disconnects... And so it goes.

The hope remains the wheel being ready Friday, then I can ride Saturday and Sunday.
Last night my lower back flared up into spasms. It wasn't a fun night.

I should get out of here before dark so I can beat the crowds away from the beach and get home to the hot tub and a nap.

Ridge 07-04-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 19056624)
IPA's (India Pale Ale) are supposed to be rather bitter and strong. I suppose its an acquired taste, like single malt whisky.

Double IPA's are my achilles. I will do stupid human tricks for those and some of the Belgian Tripples... :freaky

TheNedster 07-04-2012 02:50 PM

Good ride on the MTB this morning. Saw lots of critters; what was either a bobcat or young bear hauling ass up a hillside, chased a buck deer for a bit, saw some very recent tracks from a good-sized mountain lion and ran across (almost literally) a particularly grouchy rattlesnake. Also saw a fair number of riders, all of which were minding their P's and Q's, which is heartening.

<IFRAME height=405 src="http://app.strava.com/runs/12502510/embed/73cc7d339e398b1c516485729c72cc3b0b88f580" frameBorder=0 width=590 allowTransparency scrolling=no></IFRAME>

blackfriar 07-04-2012 06:04 PM

Got in 22 miles this morning...87 degrees at 0930. Will get out a little earlier tomorrow as it is supposed to be hotter. Fireworks in downtown GB tonight.

Aurelius 07-04-2012 08:26 PM

On this day last year I was lying in a hospital bed, awaiting the operation to repair my femur which I'd broken in a bicycle accident hours earlier. In memory of that occasion, I decided this morning to take another shot at a challenging technical trail which I'd yet to do a perfect run through. Fortunately I recorded the whole thing on video, because today I made it all the way without incident in 9 minutes flat. :clap A video made in 2010 shows racers doing it in 7 minutes, so matching that time will be my long term goal. I can see right away that my biggest impediment is weak legs. Pedaling uphill through the toughest rock gardens had to be done while standing on the pedals, which wore me out in no time at all. Prior to my accident last year, I was doing three sets of ten reps on the leg press, using the entire 620 lb weight stack, so my year long absence from the gym has obviously had disastrous results. Luckily the solution is just a matter of resuming my weight training. :gdog

Ridge 07-05-2012 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 19059189)
On this day last year I was lying in a hospital bed, awaiting the operation to repair my femur which I'd broken in a bicycle accident hours earlier. In memory of that occasion, I decided this morning to take another shot at a challenging technical trail which I'd yet to do a perfect run through. Fortunately I recorded the whole thing on video, because today I made it all the way without incident in 9 minutes flat. :clap A video made in 2010 shows racers doing it in 7 minutes, so matching that time will be my long term goal. I can see right away that my biggest impediment is weak legs. Pedaling uphill through the toughest rock gardens had to be done while standing on the pedals, which wore me out in no time at all. Prior to my accident last year, I was doing three sets of ten reps on the leg press, using the entire 620 lb weight stack, so my year long absence from the gym has obviously had disastrous results. Luckily the solution is just a matter of resuming my weight training. :gdog

Good deal and congratulations. Keep up the riding and you'll be hitting that 7 minutes in no time.

YakSpout 07-05-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Head (Post 19057056)
Broken spoke on the fancy Roubiax rear wheel has that part at the shop. The LBS had to order a spoke, (Specialized shop)... So much for that.:huh

So, instead I'm at work, riding my ergo-chair and waiting on software... Server disconnects... And so it goes.

The hope remains the wheel being ready Friday, then I can ride Saturday and Sunday.
Last night my lower back flared up into spasms. It wasn't a fun night.

I should get out of here before dark so I can beat the crowds away from the beach and get home to the hot tub and a nap.

Hope it works out.

I popped an impossible-to-find Ultegra spoke (my own fault, something fell out of my bento box and into the rear wheel) about two months ago. Really difficult to find a shop with one in stock, but after about 45min of calling around, I found one. Big shout out to Velo Pasadena for the amazing 15minute turn-around in a busy shop on a big sale day to get me sorted. Good crew over there. Even if the owner's son was selling a $$$$ TT bike to a fat dude being egged on by a buddy.

"So I can just wear normal shoes on these pedals, right?"

"Umm. We have flat pedals, but on a bike like this, you'll probably want to wear cleats."

I hope it doesn't become a shirt rack. It was a nice bike.

k7 07-05-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakSpout (Post 19062253)
..... Even if the owner's son was selling a $$$$ TT bike to a fat dude being egged on by a buddy.

"So I can just wear normal shoes on these pedals, right?"

"Umm. We have flat pedals, but on a bike like this, you'll probably want to wear cleats."

I hope it doesn't become a shirt rack. It was a nice bike.

Coming soon to a Craigslist listing near you....

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:00 PM.