ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

ducnut 07-09-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridge (Post 19089905)
My race team is sponsored by these guys. I don't have any personal experience with them, but the other guys on the team have been pleased with their products.

http://www.vcrcbike.com/

They don't have anything listed for my sizing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut (Post 19089329)
Anybody know of a reasonably priced source for bearings?

I've called around, searched the internet, and ended up ordering Enduro Max bearings at ~$5.50 each, shipped. I should have them by the weekend. :clap

Dranrab Luap 07-09-2012 12:23 PM

I am headed to Colorado Wednesday morning. I am taking a road bike and a mountain bike. Should be fun! I am going to try to tackle Independence Pass. I have ridden all of maybe 100 miles in the mountains in my lifetime. Good times.

Uncle Pollo 07-09-2012 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap (Post 19091186)
I am headed to Colorado Wednesday morning. I am taking a road bike and a mountain bike. Should be fun! I am going to try to tackle Independence Pass. I have ridden all of maybe 100 miles in the mountains in my lifetime. Good times.

A bit of advice .... eat as much as you can the day before and at the evening of the climb.

I went up and climbed from 7 to 10.5k in 11 miles on friday ... took me two hours ... and still did not recover yet.

Dranrab Luap 07-09-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo (Post 19091484)
A bit of advice .... eat as much as you can the day before and at the evening of the climb.

I went up and climbed from 7 to 10.5k in 11 miles on friday ... took me two hours ... and still did not recover yet.

Where did you do that?

Uncle Pollo 07-09-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap (Post 19091497)
Where did you do that?

Here in town.

We have that Sandia Mountain with a paved road that goes all the way to the top.

I mean ... I am looking at it from my window.

Next time you are around here mail your bike stuff and rent a bike ... we will go up there.

Dranrab Luap 07-09-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo (Post 19091568)
Here in town.

We have that Sandia Mountain with a paved road that goes all the way to the top.

I mean ... I am looking at it from my window.

Next time you are around here mail your bike stuff and rent a bike ... we will go up there.

I am going to be there with my bikes at the end of July.:evil Did you ride on hwy 333 to hwy 14 to hwy 536?

Uncle Pollo 07-09-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap (Post 19092071)
I am going to be there with my bikes at the end of July.:evil Did you ride on hwy 333 to hwy 14 to hwy 536?

i just park at the bottom of the hill 2 miles east of 14 the sandia road and start suffering.

You looked at google earth, eh?

5% grade but the switchbacks are anywhere from 10 to 14%.

You'll do it faster than me.

Dranrab Luap 07-09-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo (Post 19092325)
i just park at the bottom of the hill 2 miles east of 14 the sandia road and start suffering.

You looked at google earth, eh?

5% grade but the switchbacks are anywhere from 10 to 14%.

You'll do it faster than me.

Wanna bet? I ride on perfectly flat terrain. 20 miles is my normal ride with an occasional 30-40. My pace is 17ish.

Yes I looked at Google earth! The nice thing about a road like that is that you don't have to leave anything in the tank for the return trip.

lubes17319 07-10-2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap (Post 19091186)

Hydrate constantly (beer has water in it) during your stay, & in advance as well, it's stinkin' arid out here.
Your body will thank you.

Mr Head 07-10-2012 11:09 AM

Friday evening I stopped by the LBS and picked up my wheel, the spoke had only just arrived, so I got to wait for them to be assembled. Then I went home and put the bike back together and readied for a ride come Saturday.

It was a short, hot ride. I went down the path into a good headwind and at about a half hour decided to just get myself past the freeway and turn around and head back tot he house, and maybe see how I felt about climbing the hill when I got to the turn off.

I took the hill. It was not pretty, but it wasn't likely to be either. As you climb the lower part the wind begins to blast your face, just as you begin the steepest part of the lower section. :huh

At the turn off to my house, I continued on up the longer, and in places steep part. Here the wind dies as it is being shielded by the looming McMansions. :lol3

At one Point I pulled over into the shade of a large tree on a side street to see an LA county Sheriffs cruiser parked there with no plate. :confused

After a bit of cooling down in the shade, I was back at it, up and over the top. My speed on the descent was hampered by that headwind, but it felt great to have a lot of air moving past. Only 20 miles or so, but for that first hour I'd averaged 17 mph. Not bad for me on the flat. And I still had the legs to get up the hill.

Next on the plate will be no stops and then laps and finally some road hill routes. There are some big hills around here. I'm looking forward to some good hard training.

YakSpout 07-10-2012 12:41 PM

In honor of the Tour's move to the Alps this week, I rode the steepest incline I could find over the hill to work this morning. (Kicks up to 18% in some spots. :eek1) Ugh. Short, but brutal. All the way down to granny gear in my compact and a big backpack full of work clothes makes for wheelie-time. :rofl Did as much as I could out of the saddle just to keep the front end on the ground.

Naturally, the Garmin Edge 500 took a dump just after the crest and refused to lock onto GPS the rest of the way into work. Worked through some Internet troubleshooting, then called their support line. After about 10 minutes of further effort, they decided to cross-ship a replacement. Overall, not bad customer service.

Guess I'll have to mount up my old VDO in the meantime.

Uncle Pollo 07-10-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap (Post 19093649)
Wanna bet? I ride on perfectly flat terrain. 20 miles is my normal ride with an occasional 30-40. My pace is 17ish.

Yes I looked at Google earth! The nice thing about a road like that is that you don't have to leave anything in the tank for the return trip.

i will be faster downhill since i am 215 pounds now

but uphill you will spend less energy

Gummee! 07-10-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo (Post 19100453)
i will be faster downhill since i am 215 pounds now

but uphill you will spend less energy

215?! HowTF did you manage that?! Last time I saw you, you were skinnier than I was!

Geez dood! Get back on the bike!

Interview at a bike shop for a FT mechanic's gig. We'll see. Shop manager is a grumpy old git...

M

Ridge 07-10-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 19101785)
Interview at a bike shop for a FT mechanic's gig. We'll see. Shop manager is a grumpy old git...

M

:clap Good Luck!

Aurelius 07-11-2012 07:47 AM

Gearing for steep hill climbs?

I noticed last week that my 26er's front wheel comes up too easily on hill climbs, no matter how I positioned myself. On very steep hills, it proved to be impossible to keep the front end down, even with my chest as far over the handlebars as possible. A more experienced riders tells me that instead of using the large gear in front and the largest gear in back, I should have used the small gear in front and the third or even fourth largest gear in back. He claimed this would even out the torque spikes going to the back wheel and prevent the front end from coming up with every pedal stroke. I haven't had the chance to try his advice due to rain, but I can't see why this would make a difference. Won't the amount of torque be approximately the same in both cases?

:scratch

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:58 AM.