ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

kannonbal 07-16-2012 07:28 AM

Finally got the chance to put myself up against the clock for the first time ever. On a team for a multi-sport relay race; I was the road biker.

Stage 3 was a 13 mile TT; plenty of undulations and some cross winds to boot. 91 teams and I was 4th fastest! did it in 34.46, including transfer times. Worked out to a 25 mph average. First place was at 31:20 and I was the fastest person with hairy legs, no aero bars, no skin suit, and no aero helmet. Completely shocked by my result and feeling really pleased with myself.

Stage 5 was a 9.8 mile TT and this one had more up than down and also had a 2.5 dead flat stretch with a nice 10-12 mph headwind. I did that one in 26.42, or 24.6 mph and I was 5th overall and missed 4th by 9 sec.

Starting to think I might have to race a bit more! And some clamp on aero bars and a slippery helmet may be in my future. Or maybe a TT bike.....hmmm......:D

Uncle Pollo 07-16-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kannonbal (Post 19139944)
Finally got the chance to put myself up against the clock for the first time ever. On a team for a multi-sport relay race; I was the road biker.

Stage 3 was a 13 mile TT; plenty of undulations and some cross winds to boot. 91 teams and I was 4th fastest! did it in 34.46, including transfer times. Worked out to a 25 mph average. First place was at 31:20 and I was the fastest person with hairy legs, no aero bars, no skin suit, and no aero helmet. Completely shocked by my result and feeling really pleased with myself.

Stage 5 was a 9.8 mile TT and this one had more up than down and also had a 2.5 dead flat stretch with a nice 10-12 mph headwind. I did that one in 26.42, or 24.6 mph and I was 5th overall and missed 4th by 9 sec.

Starting to think I might have to race a bit more! And some clamp on aero bars and a slippery helmet may be in my future. Or maybe a TT bike.....hmmm......:D

TT bike and helmet and own that bitch.

Uncle Pollo 07-16-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 19139727)
Like I said earlier: row your bike back and down into the hill when it gets steep.

Works standing too.

Managed to fall down a rocky hill yesterday out laying trail. I've got bruises that have bruises today.

M

Sit there, soft hands, and spin.

Oznerol 07-16-2012 11:48 AM

Not a lot of long rides for me, lately; If I've got more than a couple of consecutive hours free for 2-wheeled fun, I'm usually on the motorcycle. And in the 4 months since I got to Cali, I've been on a mountain bike twice.

But I have been getting out for shorter rides on the road bike two or three times a week. It's pretty cool being able to step out my front door and do a 22 mile ride that includes 2000 feet of climbing and fairly varied scenery. I recently replaced the triple crank on my road bike with a compact double -- shaved a bit of weight, but more importantly raised my lowest gear, forcing me to work a bit harder but getting me up the climbs a bit faster.

Gummee! 07-16-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo (Post 19141690)
Sit there, soft hands, and spin.

Not when it gets real steep. :nah Otherwise, yeah.

Evidently Dr Stephen Covey was one of us. RIP Wonder exactly why he went down?

M

k7 07-16-2012 02:25 PM

"Sagers said her father, an avid cyclist, was cycling with a friend Thursday in Rock Canyon Park when the accident occurred.

Covey went down a hill too fast and flipped forward on the bicycle, Sagers said. She said her father was wearing a helmet but it appears to have slipped backward as Covey was falling. Covey’s head hit the pavement, Sagers said."

Maybe he should have developed one more habit - tightening up his helmet strap?

Gummee! 07-16-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k7 (Post 19143164)
"Sagers said her father, an avid cyclist, was cycling with a friend Thursday in Rock Canyon Park when the accident occurred.

Covey went down a hill too fast and flipped forward on the bicycle, Sagers said. She said her father was wearing a helmet but it appears to have slipped backward as Covey was falling. Covey’s head hit the pavement, Sagers said."

Maybe he should have developed one more habit - tightening up his helmet strap?

I absolutely HATE the sound a head makes hitting the pavement. I've heard it before. (and done it before)

:puke1

M

Uncle Pollo 07-16-2012 04:06 PM

http://goo.gl/maps/bIq9

Let's see if this work ... that is my 15 mile sprint in 55 minutes ... eheheheh

Gummee! 07-16-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo (Post 19144016)
http://goo.gl/maps/bIq9

Let's see if this work ... that is my 15 mile sprint in 55 minutes ... eheheheh

Going from where to where? Home to work? :ear

M

TooTallRacing 07-16-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridge (Post 19139510)
Riding with my local club/team. We're going as team trunk monkey this year. :lol3 We'll be in a white 15 passenger van towing a red trailer with Cycles de Oro plastered all over it. We should be arriving early Saturday morning. Will try and ping you then. Mine is 919.328.0265 James

Quote:

Originally Posted by neanderthal (Post 19136481)
To multiquote just hit the little speech bubbles (right next to "quote") in the first (few) posts you want to quote, then hit "quote" on the final post you'll be quoting.

Hey it works, thanks neanderthal!

We are leaving St. Louis Saturday morning so we won't get up there until 8ish, I'll give you a shout.

Mr Head 07-16-2012 05:20 PM

My brother is riding again towing a small trailer with his gear in it. Might be wearing an Arrogant Bastard Ale Jersey I gave him. I'm still not retired so won't make it yet.
I think he will be on some sort of old pseudo mountain bike with a big puffy seat.:lol3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ridge (Post 19133474)
I'll be riding in RAGBRAI again this year. Anyone else going that I can catch a beer with one day? :ear

HOT DAMN! 07-16-2012 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 19139818)
I finally figured out how to pop a wheelie yesterday and fell off the back.

Cover the back brake with your index finger while riding a wheelie and tap it gently if you start to loop, this will bring the front end down.

Aurelius 07-16-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOT DAMN! (Post 19144992)
Cover the back brake with your index finger while riding a wheelie and tap it gently if you start to loop, this will bring the front end down.

Oh yeah, I did that alright. But of course I forgot all about it at the crucial moment. :lol3

k7 07-16-2012 08:50 PM

Super......

..........randonneur! It may be my only one ever.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...vets/photo.jpg

Here's the explanation:
In 1952, the Audax Club Parisien created an honorific recognizing randonneurs who had completed, the ACP 200k, 300k, 400k and 600k brevets within a single calendar year. This honorific is called the Super Randonneur Award. RUSA members may request a medal commemorating this accomplishment by submitting an application. RUSA collects these applications and forwards them to the ACP person responsible for Brevets de Randonneurs Mondiaux.

Brek81 07-16-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k7 (Post 19146262)
..........randonneur! It may be my only one ever.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...vets/photo.jpg

Here's the explanation:
In 1952, the Audax Club Parisien created an honorific recognizing randonneurs who had completed, the ACP 200k, 300k, 400k and 600k brevets within a single calendar year. This honorific is called the Super Randonneur Award. RUSA members may request a medal commemorating this accomplishment by submitting an application. RUSA collects these applications and forwards them to the ACP person responsible for Brevets de Randonneurs Mondiaux.

Congrats, that is quite an acheavement! Hoping to get there in the next couple years.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:02 PM.