ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Signal 07-29-2012 10:53 AM

SOme excellent recent events- :D

My 13 year old boy has started seeing the light- We built him up a bike (the bugger stole my old school helium wheels)- has ridden approx 170 miles with me over the last several weeks :clap.

My wife has also been riding (has previous health/neruological issues, so this is huge)- went 20 miles with me yesterday at 15mph :bow - and as a huge victory for her has been able to drink/eat while on the move.

AND the lime/cucumber gatorade is excellent :deal

pierce 07-29-2012 02:43 PM

so in addition to my bike being crushed, my wife lost her beloved 'step through'... I found this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150864178654

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Specialized-W..._id=880000500F

and am thinking of bidding $175 on it (combined with the outrageous $125 shipping, thats $300, which seems fair). best I can tell, its a 2009 Globe Carmel 1 26" Womens in "S" (Small), like http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bik...globecarmel126

and I think these were $400-ish new.

Oznerol 07-29-2012 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 19236436)
we were driving home from a 5 day, 4 night campout astronomy star party in far northern California, the Golden State Star Party, http://goldenstatestarparty.org

I was probably up til 3am shooting pictures of Andromeda

Nice. One of my good friends, a guy I met in college but have kept in touch with, is a pretty avid astrophotographer; Watching the evolution of his images over the years has been pretty neat.

I went mountain biking in El Corte de Madera today. Only my third time on a mountain bike since moving out here from the east coast. Good times, really nice singletrack. But I'm still not as adjusted to the extended climbing as I'd like to be.

pierce 07-29-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oznerol (Post 19241360)
Nice. One of my good friends, a guy I met in college but have kept in touch with, is a pretty avid astrophotographer; Watching the evolution of his images over the years has been pretty neat.

yeah, its a steep and long learning curve. I just started fooling around this March.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oznerol (Post 19241360)
I went mountain biking in El Corte de Madera today. Only my third time on a mountain bike since moving out here from the east coast. Good times, really nice singletrack. But I'm still not as adjusted to the extended climbing as I'd like to be.

We do have just a few of them hills around here, no doubt. when I was mountain biking, I liked to find routes where it was fire road on the climbs, and the singletrack was mostly traversal and downhill. Wilder Ranch in Santa Cruz County is pretty good that way.

Chisenhallw 07-30-2012 08:19 AM

Hey fellers,

I'm working on building a road bike for someone who's trying to get into cycling. Trouble is, she's dirt poor. Gonna cobble together something out of spare parts for her. I'm on the hunt for a road-style drive train with brifters. Beggars can't be choosers, so pretty much any make/model is ok.

Thanks for your time, y'all.

Jim Moore 07-30-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Moore (Post 19031601)
4038 as of yesterday's ride. 301 miles. Not great, but not bad. Lowlights of the month were a minor knee isue and a goddam week-long hurricane. And two flat tires. I'm at 1688. I should be at 1750.

4376 as of today. 338 miles in July. It should have been more, but I had a few little issues along the way. I'm leaning I can't ride two days in a row, no matter how easy I take it. Weird. I'm at 2026. I should be at 2042.

Uncle Pollo 07-30-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chisenhallw (Post 19245059)
Hey fellers,

I'm working on building a road bike for someone who's trying to get into cycling. Trouble is, she's dirt poor. Gonna cobble together something out of spare parts for her. I'm on the hunt for a road-style drive train with brifters. Beggars can't be choosers, so pretty much any make/model is ok.

Thanks for your time, y'all.

Pics of her will help.

Aurelius 07-30-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo (Post 19245819)
Topless pics of her will help.

What you really meant to say. :evil

Chisenhallw 07-30-2012 11:14 AM

:lol3

Probably not, actually. Not toxic at all (I wish).

RxZ 07-30-2012 01:03 PM

So, on the MTB what is the best way to get through a sandy turn? The trail I have started riding is pretty much packed earth, except in some turns where plain ol dirt and sand has been spread out to keep the erosion at bay. Problem is, when I hit this stuff at any speed it is very hard to turn. The front just kinda digs in. I have only been riding a couple of weeks, so inexperience is one factor. But surely there is some technique to make this easier. I was passed the other day in a particularly sandy area by a guy just flying through the trail. He can go fast through this stuff, so what's my problem?

I still think more practice is the key, but how should I practice?

ImaPoser 07-30-2012 06:53 PM

Ok, I guess I've been an irresponsible bike owner. :hide

A few weeks ago, I noticed if I was in a certain gear, the chain would sorta skip jump every eighth pedal rotation or so. I said something to a guy at work about it and he asked what kind of chain lube I had been using. :doh

So, a trip to performance bike, picked up a stupid expensive little bottle of lube, and who woulda thought, the chain quit doing that skip jump thing.

So today, I figure I'd be proactive and actually lube the chain again, and possibly wipe some of the grim off the bike. While going over it, I noticed that the back tire is toast. Like, cords showing in spots. :baldy Damn, I woulda never thought these tires would only last 1500 miles, but that's what they have on them. :dunno 700x23c is what they say. I saw some discussion on tires a few pages back and will do some reading there, but if anyone wants to throw out a suggestion to save my lazy ass from clicking those few pages, I'll take it.

What else am I neglecting? When I bought the bike, I had a LBS do all the setup for me (mail ordered the bike as there are no Look dealers locally), which promptly jammed the chain and nicked the carbon first ride out. :baldy I bothered to read online how to adjust the shifters and redid them myself and haven't had an issue since.
Of course since then, it has sat more than been ridden and hasn't had a bit of maintenance done to it. I'll bet there's other things I should be lubing or checking...:ear
This year, I started to ride a bit more, but in the last few weeks I started using the Strava app and found a handful of achievement challenges on my typical ride route. Now I have some motivation to get back at it. :clap

My typical route-
<iframe height='405' width='590' frameborder='0' allowtransparency='true' scrolling='no' src='http://app.strava.com/runs/14386093/embed/8ece82f269613a761fe80730af9ed99656f591d6'></iframe>

http://holton.smugmug.com/photos/i-c...-c4hzTDn-L.jpg

pierce 07-30-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImaPoser (Post 19249489)
So today, I figure I'd be proactive and actually lube the chain again, and possibly wipe some of the grim off the bike. While going over it, I noticed that the back tire is toast. Like, cords showing in spots. :baldy Damn, I woulda never thought these tires would only last 1500 miles, but that's what they have on them. :dunno 700x23c is what they say. I saw some discussion on tires a few pages back and will do some reading there, but if anyone wants to throw out a suggestion to save my lazy ass from clicking those few pages, I'll take it.

23c is a really skinny tire, mostly suitable for races... I'd suggest using 25c for street riding. Continental Gatorbacks are a good tire, puncture resistant and pretty hardy. Schwabe makes great tires but you won't find them in most LBS's, so you have to mail order them.

a tire with a high thread-per-inch count will ride and feel better than a cheaper tire with a lower TPI (and coarser threads).

ducnut 07-31-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

700x23c is what they say. I saw some discussion on tires a few pages back and will do some reading there, but if anyone wants to throw out a suggestion to save my lazy ass from clicking those few pages, I'll take it.

Like "pierce", I'm not into the skinniest of tires. A larger tire will ride much better, allow lower pressures, and, generally, last longer. Many road bikes will clear a 28mm. Many shops stock that size, so you can mount one up and see if it clears.

As for a tire recommendation, I've been running Continental Contact, with 1 flat in ~5K miles (nearly shot, now). I put a set of Touring Plus, in 28mm, on my GF's road bike and she's never had a flat, but, doesn't ride the miles I do. They, also, offer a racier tire in the GatorSkin, which is puncture resistant.

Quote:

What else am I neglecting? I'll bet there's other things I should be lubing or checking

I use a needle-oiler filled with "wet" lube to get at the derailluer, brake, and lever pivots. I regularly check my tires for sharp debris. I use diluted Simple Green to regularly wash my bikes. The same product, with a toothbrush, works for cleaning the chain, as well.

pierce 07-31-2012 08:19 AM

i'm old school re chains, and clean mine with wd40 (or kerosene), blow it dry with the compressor, then lightly oil it with triflow.

ducnut 07-31-2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 19252826)
i'm old school re chains, and clean mine with wd40 (or kerosene), blow it dry with the compressor, then lightly oil it with triflow.

Dude, get yourself some Finish Line dry lube. Triflow makes a mess of drivetrains. No wonder you're using WD40 or kerosene for cleaning.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:39 AM.