ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

PMC 08-09-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brewer90 (Post 19316577)

^^^THIS^^^ is 100% correct

As someone who has been run down while on a bicycle (and not breaking the law in any state as it is written) the bumper comment isn't funny.

Gummee! 08-09-2012 08:03 AM

Cross remounts suck. Mostly because I can't get rid of that damn hop.

:bluduh

M

frazman 08-09-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmc (Post 19319093)
^^^this^^^ is 100% correct

as someone who has been run down while on a bicycle (and not breaking the law in any state as it is written) the bumper comment isn't funny.

+1

Offblnz 08-09-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 19319712)
Cross remounts suck. Mostly because I can't get rid of that damn hop.

M

Look up how to do it in "Why Your Bicycle Mechanic Drinks":lol3

Aurelius 08-09-2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMC (Post 19319093)
^^^THIS^^^ is 100% correct

As someone who has been run down while on a bicycle (and not breaking the law in any state as it is written) the bumper comment isn't funny.

Some of you are working much to hard to miss the point. The state of Florida, I'm told, boasts one of the largest number of bicyclists per capita in the country. Yet bicyclists are universally despised in this state. When a bicyclist is run over there's no expression of sympathy as there is for other types of traffic accidents. The presumption always is that the bicyclist was at fault. Why? Because of the reputation bicyclists have created for themselves. It's not just that they routinely ignore traffic laws that makes them both a hazard and a nuisance to other road users, it's also their behavior even when they're not breaking the law. It's revealing to see riders who think claiming that they're not doing anything illegal is a defense for how they ride. Common courtesy is not something road users are required by law to practice, but we do it regardless, and we rightly criticize those who don't. But for some reason the rules of civil behavior go out the window where roadies are concerned. Florida is not New England; we don't have narrow roads barely wide enough for a single vehicle to contend with, yet cyclists see nothing wrong with riding in the middle of the lane when there is ample room to allow traffic to get by them. When riding in a group, they feel even more entitled, often riding two or even three abreast so that no one can get by. This happened again last weekend. Despite the fact that our motorcycles are barely wider than a bicycle, the group of roadies we encountered refused to move over to allow us to pass. We were left with the option of either putting along behind them at 15 mph in a 50, or swerving into the oncoming lane to find a way through -- a task made difficult by the fact that there was a stream of bicycles ahead of them who were also perfectly content to act as a rolling road block. :huh When I rode a bicycle on the street years ago, it would never enter my mind to behave in such a despicable manner. It's one reason I only ride my road bike on paved paths nowadays: because I don't want any association with those fucktards who give cyclists a bad name. As for those here who think hybrids are to blame for your accidents, if you stray into the path of a Prius, it's not the fact that it's a hybrid that caused the accident; it's that you were too absent minded, arrogant, or just plain stupid not to look where you were going.

YakSpout 08-09-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 19319868)
Some of you are working much to hard to miss the point. The state of Florida, I'm told, boasts one of the largest number of bicyclists per capita in the country. Yet bicyclists are universally despised in this state. When a bicyclist is run over there's no expression of sympathy as there is for other types of traffic accidents. The presumption always is that the bicyclist was at fault. Why? Because of the reputation bicyclists have created for themselves. It's not just that they routinely ignore traffic laws that makes them both a hazard and a nuisance to other road users, it's also their behavior even when they're not breaking the law. It's revealing to see riders who think claiming that they're not doing anything illegal is a defense for how they ride. Common courtesy is not something road users are required by law to practice, but we do it regardless, and we rightly criticize those who don't. But for some reason the rules of civil behavior go out the window where roadies are concerned. Florida is not New England; we don't have narrow roads barely wide enough for a single vehicle to contend with, yet cyclists see nothing wrong with riding in the middle of the lane when there is ample room to allow traffic to get by them. When riding in a group, they feel even more entitled, often riding two or even three abreast so that no one can get by. This happened again last weekend. Despite the fact that our motorcycles are barely wider than a bicycle, the group of roadies we encountered refused to move over to allow us to pass. We were left with the option of either putting along behind them at 15 mph in a 50, or swerving into the oncoming lane to find a way through -- a task made difficult by the fact that there was a stream of bicycles ahead of them who were also perfectly content to act as a rolling road block. :huh When I rode a bicycle on the street years ago, it would never enter my mind to behave in such a despicable manner. It's one reason I only ride my road bike on paved paths nowadays: because I don't want any association with those fucktards who give cyclists a bad name. As for those here who think hybrids are to blame for your accidents, if you stray into the path of a Prius, it's not the fact that it's a hybrid that caused the accident; it's that you were too absent minded, arrogant, or just plain stupid not to look where you were going.

There are three other threads for this discussion and NONE of them are in Sports.

Gummee! 08-09-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balanzed (Post 19319779)
Look up how to do it in "Why Your Bicycle Mechanic Drinks":lol3

Oh I *know* how to do it. The brain does anyway. I've done it before. Then I caught my leg on the back of the saddle and the body sez 'eff you buddy! I ain't doin THAT again!' and I get that little hop.

M

PMC 08-09-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

not worth reading... go ride your bike path and keep your Prius in FL

As mentioned already there are plenty of anti bicycles on the road threads where like minded folks like you can rant all you want. Just because you own bicycles doesn't make you a cyclist, don't forget that.

Gummee! 08-09-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakSpout (Post 19320697)
There are three other threads for this discussion and NONE of them are in Sports.

Where better to discuss it? After all, if he ain't gonna learn from us, he's certainly not gonna learn from the mouth breathing idiots in the threads in JM and the Perfect Line (the 2 big ones right now)

@Aurelius: go scan the threads in JM (1st) and the Perfect Line (2nd) and then come back and we'll discuss 'why 'we' do what we do.'

M

Aurelius 08-09-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMC (Post 19320729)
not worth reading... go ride your bike path and keep your Prius in FL

As mentioned already there are plenty of anti bicycles on the road threads where like minded folks like you can rant all you want. Just because you own bicycles doesn't make you a cyclist, don't forget that.

In other words, you can't dispute a single word I've written.

Gummee! 08-09-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 19320811)
In other words, you can't dispute a single word I've written.

You haven't read the JM thread at all, have you? I know *I've* disputed most of what you've written in there at least once.

M

Schnickelfritz 08-09-2012 11:02 AM

Quote:

Half the story

Take it somewhere else, please.

k7 08-09-2012 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schnickelfritz (Post 19321071)
Take it somewhere else, please.

+ 1.

Do you need links to the other threads? This ain't jo momma and the vast majority of us do not want this thread mucked up. Here - go to this thread.

pierce 08-09-2012 11:39 AM

bicyclists will stop sliding through empty stop signs when cars stop (long list of daily infractions, including running stop lights, no stop right turns, no stop left turns, lane incursions, general inattention, cellphone use, speeding, road rage, etc etc). :deal

HOT DAMN! 08-09-2012 01:42 PM

http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images...op_340x234.jpg

Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:24 PM.