ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Mercury264 07-31-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 19249554)
23c is a really skinny tire, mostly suitable for races... I'd suggest using 25c for street riding. Continental Gatorbacks are a good tire, puncture resistant and pretty hardy. Schwabe makes great tires but you won't find them in most LBS's, so you have to mail order them.

a tire with a high thread-per-inch count will ride and feel better than a cheaper tire with a lower TPI (and coarser threads).

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut (Post 19252782)
Like "pierce", I'm not into the skinniest of tires. A larger tire will ride much better, allow lower pressures, and, generally, last longer. Many road bikes will clear a 28mm. Many shops stock that size, so you can mount one up and see if it clears.

As for a tire recommendation, I've been running Continental Contact, with 1 flat in ~5K miles (nearly shot, now). I put a set of Touring Plus, in 28mm, on my GF's road bike and she's never had a flat, but, doesn't ride the miles I do. They, also, offer a racier tire in the GatorSkin, which is puncture resistant.

I use a needle-oiler filled with "wet" lube to get at the derailluer, brake, and lever pivots. I regularly check my tires for sharp debris. I use diluted Simple Green to regularly wash my bikes. The same product, with a toothbrush, works for cleaning the chain, as well.

I'm in need of new tires also....my current tires are labeled 700*23 so I was wondering if 700*25 is a direct replacement for 23's for all wheels ? My wheels are Mavic Kryshum Elite's if that matters ?

Best price I can get is on Amazon ($40 or so with free shipping) so I just want to be sure they'll fit before I order.

Cheers
:freaky

RxZ 07-31-2012 08:27 AM

More questions, I'm such a noob :D

So, Garmin Connect, RunKeeper, Strava, etc... I have been using RunKeeper for a while now to track activities, and it seems to work well. However, are others better? I am not talking about the premium versions, just the free to use ad supported ones. I know, you get what you pay for, but I am not paying for races, so it all works out.

Basically, something to track what I am doing, and maybe trend it somehow once I am in better shape. Strava's way of showing you local ride segments to compete against others against sounds fun, but is it used that much? Does it work well? RunKeeper I am familiar with, I have a Garmin watch, so I assume that comes with Garmin Connect access. There have to be others besides those three... So, what do you use, and why? Most of y'all are more experienced than I at bicycling, so shoot me some recommendations.

ducnut 07-31-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264 (Post 19252867)
I'm in need of new tires also....my current tires are labeled 700*23 so I was wondering if 700*25 is a direct replacement for 23's for all wheels ? My wheels are Mavic Kryshum Elite's if that matters ?

Best price I can get is on Amazon ($40 or so with free shipping) so I just want to be sure they'll fit before I order.

25mm will fit the rim, with no problem.

pierce 07-31-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264 (Post 19252867)

Cheers
:freaky

the rims will fit most any 700c tire, at least up to 28 or even 32. the question is what will fit in the frame, and most road bike frames have plenty of clearance for 27c. usually the tightest spot is by the bottom bracket, between the chain stays. with a bigger tire, you might have to release your brakes to remove a wheel, while 23c often can squeeze past the shoes without releasing them, BFD.

Mercury264 07-31-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut (Post 19252894)
25mm will fit the rim, with no problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 19252950)
the rims will fit most any 700c tire, at least up to 28 or even 32. the question is what will fit in the frame, and most road bike frames have plenty of clearance for 27c. usually the tightest spot is by the bottom bracket, between the chain stays. with a bigger tire, you might have to release your brakes to remove a wheel, while 23c often can squeeze past the shoes without releasing them, BFD.

Again, thanks :thumb

My assumption is '23' and '25' etc. refers to width in MM ? If my assumption is correct, there should be plenty of room for the 25 - I actually have to release the brakes with my 23's - well OK, maybe not HAVE to but I do, so no biggie.

Aurelius 07-31-2012 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RxZ (Post 19252878)
Strava's way of showing you local ride segments to compete against others against sounds fun, but is it used that much?

Strava seems to be the software of choice on every cycling forum I've visited. There are two local trails where riders constantly post their best lap times using Strava. I've tried installing it on my cell phone, but for some reason it won't download. :cry

pierce 07-31-2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264 (Post 19253093)
My assumption is '23' and '25' etc. refers to width in MM ? .

not 100% sure, but I think it refers to the circumference as measured from bead to bead, like if you wrapped a tape measure around the tire.

to make life more confusing, not all tires of size X are the same size. my hybrid, I had an old 700x40 tire, fit the frame just fine, but when it wore out, I got a new one, different type, and it totally didn't fit, I had to go to a 700x35 (the original tire was no longer made in any 700c size).

ducnut 07-31-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264 (Post 19253093)
My assumption is '23' and '25' etc. refers to width in MM ?

Width.

However, sizing is not always accurate or consistent, even within a manufacturer.

Mr Head 07-31-2012 10:06 AM

I use Strava on my iPhone. IT works pretty well.
But, GPS will eat the battery power in about 4 hours form a full charge. I have disabled all other functions to get the maximum. The best solution for tracking is a regular GPS and upload the datat to Strava or something similar.
One thing that is an irritation is that every ride I have to edit it to select my bike. I guess it is set up for people with a stable of bikes.:evil
Tracking my times on the bike path is silly if I were competing. I use the times and averages to gauge my progression in fitness for myself. I've seen guys that have speed averages over some segments that are 28 mph.:eek1 Seriously stupid on a mixed use path.
I am at present in a battle wih my iPhone and iTunes to get my phone back to where it was before I switched computers.
My fault probably since I did not sync to the cloud prior to ditching the old boat anchor of a computer for the new boat anchor.:lol3
And I know I should really have sold a kidney and got the mac, to be fully absorbed in the cloud.:rofl

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 19253290)
Strava seems to be the software of choice on every cycling forum I've visited. There are two local trails where riders constantly post their best lap times using Strava. I've tried installing it on my cell phone, but for some reason it won't download. :cry

Gummee! 07-31-2012 10:15 AM

My few seconds of 'fame.'
Talking about my workstand and portable compressor

M

Gummee! 07-31-2012 10:45 AM

As Fredly as this is, its pretty cool

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...18994909_n.jpg
M

YakSpout 07-31-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 19253290)

I tried a couple different programs, but I've been very happy with Strava. First on my iPhone, then on my Android Evo and now I upload from my Garmin Edge 500. (Actually went back to the Android version while my Garmin was replaced under warranty a couple weeks ago.)

I don't use it to compete with others (well, maybe against a buddy or two), but using segments to track my own fitness over the same stretch of road has been great. In the last year, I've pulled about 4 minutes off one of my commute climbs and about 3 off the other. Any more will require some decent weight loss. I'm still a big, heavy turd. :rofl

I don't use the Pro/paid version but thought about going that route to support them. I had an error where a ride wouldn't manually upload properly and sent them an email. Within an hour, I had a reply and they fixed the problem, making sure that it posted.

Wired wrote the company up a while ago. The employees are die-hard fitness geeks, too.
http://www.wired.com/playbook/2012/07/strava/

YakSpout 07-31-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 19253852)
As Fredly as this is, its pretty cool

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net...18994909_n.jpg
M

:D

But what if I don't have three friends to ride with?

Gummee! 07-31-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakSpout (Post 19253884)
:D

But what if I don't have three friends to ride with?

You won't go hungry!

AFA Strava: If you're training as opposed to JRA I don't see the need. :nah IF the strava segment happens to line up with an interval or sprint great. Otherwise, its irrelevant. KOMs? again IF that section of road's where I've decided to do a hill repeat, great.

To go hard on a random section of road in what should be an easy spin is the epitome of stupid. Again IF you're training

Now, if you've got a weekly 10mi TT section you ride to see if you're improving, that's another story.

My $.02

M

Weirdo 07-31-2012 11:09 AM

Strava is a good app, but it's pissing me off lately.

Another fella and I have been going back and forth on a couple of climbs trading KOM times. Last night I caved my head in and crushed one climb that I was dethroned from, but Strava didn't pick it up, pissed me right off. It's a fifteen minute pain game and damn did it hurt.

I suppose it's kind of vain to be choked about not being able to rub a guys face in a climb, but it would have been nice.:evil

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:19 PM.