ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Mr Head 08-02-2012 09:47 AM

The most accurate recording I think can ONLY be made using a dedicated GPS device such as Garmin have. Smartphones will chew up their batteries in a few hours of big riding, I've experienced this over the course of a 5+ hour ride.
I initially tried to start the Strava clock at the same time I started the ride, but gave up. I have a set routine to startign and stopping my rides. So they all get similar offsets from exact. I don't try to compensate for these little bits of tiem, or the time I stop at intervals to re-fuel,water or pee, (Old guy + lots of water, do the math. :lol3),
I now just look a the overall of what I'm doing and have done and complare only myself in segments. Trying to win any segment "race" is silly for me. And dangerous on my patch of trail.
The segment and ride can be edited but I leave that to peopel with more time. I just add my bike to keep track and move along.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 19269405)
:nono This is serious business, matey.

Aurelius 08-02-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264 (Post 19269509)
:lol3

I guess so. I don't have a competitive bone in my body so I wouldn't know :D

:lol3 There are a couple of wankers in my area who are always vying for KOM on a particular hill climb. Only seconds separate them. I think I'm going to rig up something so I can haul my cell phone up that hill faster than anyone can ride it, just to ruin their records. :poser

RxZ 08-02-2012 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 19268994)
Does Strava allow you to delete runs that you don't want saved? I'm going to do some experimental ones just to see how it works, but I don't want these to be saved. I also just realized that I'm going to be at a competitive disadvantage because I have to put away the cell phone once I start the run and then take it out again to stop it. That's going to add precious seconds to my times! :splat

Yes, after they are uploaded you can go back to the run/ride details page and delete it from there. When I first uploaded the contents of my Garmin watch it picked up a bunch of runs as well as the bike rides. I did not delete them, but rather I locked them so that I am the only one that can view them. All my MTB rides are public though :deal

Mercury264 08-02-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 19269609)
:lol3 There are a couple of wankers in my area who are always vying for KOM on a particular hill climb. Only seconds separate them. I think I'm going to rig up something so I can haul my cell phone up that hill faster than anyone can ride it, just to ruin their records. :poser

One of those potato guns perhaps....:lol3

YakSpout 08-02-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RxZ (Post 19268909)
I've a Strava question as well. The entire length of our local MTB trail is a segment. Not a problem really, except that when I only complete a part of it and pull off early, it still counts the time as the whole segment. For example, my personal best according to Strava is a 5.1 mile ride, when the total length is somewhat over 6 miles. So of course the shorter ride didn't take as long.

Granted, in a few weeks I hope that the entire route is faster than what the partial was, but then what if I only do part of it in the future? Anyway, seems like an odd quirk :dunno

That's a phone-based GPS issue. Quite a few posts about it on various tracking software forums. Phone GPS antennae and software aren't at the same level as a dedicated GPS unit's. (Comparing two rides/runs taken with a phone and a Garmin running at the same time will show pretty different tracks. The phone will be a smoother line, but, in general, the GPS will have a more accurate display due to better reception, higher sampling and better algorithmic accuracy.)

YakSpout 08-02-2012 10:16 AM

Anybody seen this?

http://www.cerevellum.com/hindsight.aspx

I really don't need another gadget and it's too bad that there's so much stuff going on inside that thing. A tiny cam, built into the tail flasher with a shock sensor and a 5min loop recording would be enough. Have it turn on/off when you activate the flasher, then turn off and preserve the footage if the shock sensor detects a hit. No need for all the frippery. (ANT+ compatibility, video display, etc.)

Aurelius 08-02-2012 10:28 AM

Did it!

Woohooo! Just uploaded my first Strava run. I walked across the office parking lot at an average speed of 3.4 mph, achieving a top speed of 3.7 mph. :clap

http://app.strava.com/rides/16098335

Beat that, you fuckers! :ken

RxZ 08-02-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakSpout (Post 19269772)
That's a phone-based GPS issue. Quite a few posts about it on various tracking software forums. Phone GPS antennae and software aren't at the same level as a dedicated GPS unit's. (Comparing two rides/runs taken with a phone and a Garmin running at the same time will show pretty different tracks. The phone will be a smoother line, but, in general, the GPS will have a more accurate display due to better reception, higher sampling and better algorithmic accuracy.)

That was with a Garmin :deal The problem is, one day I only did part of the trail, the next ride I did the whole trail. The Strava segment is the whole trail. Strava says my partial lap is the fastest full lap that I have ridden. For some reason, I guess since I rode most of the trail on the partial day, Strava is thinking I rode the entire trail. Even though the partial ride was 5.1 miles, and the full was 6.2 miles. The data from Garmin is correct, the interpretation by Strava is not in this case.

ImaPoser 08-02-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 19268994)
Does Strava allow you to delete runs that you don't want saved? I'm going to do some experimental ones just to see how it works, but I don't want these to be saved. I also just realized that I'm going to be at a competitive disadvantage because I have to put away the cell phone once I start the run and then take it out again to stop it. That's going to add precious seconds to my times! :splat

No worries, the app is pretty intelligent. It tracks moving time and stopped time, and uses some kind of magic to figure out average speed. I have forgot to sip the app when i got hone before, and it showed the ride time a very close to a typical ride once i finally hit the finish button.
I have noticed it on my phone immediately after a ride that some of the data is way off, even when initially uploaded it may show errors, like i managed to drop to sea level and then back up to the real elevation within a quarter mile giving my total elevation gain an extra 1000 feet. But within a few hours, it is showing a corrected, believable figure.
Now last nights ride, it managed to cut me off right in the middle of one achievement, and show i rode cross country and reconnected my course right after the start of the next, not giving me any data for either one. :bluduh

YakSpout 08-02-2012 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RxZ (Post 19269935)
That was with a Garmin :deal The problem is, one day I only did part of the trail, the next ride I did the whole trail. The Strava segment is the whole trail. Strava says my partial lap is the fastest full lap that I have ridden. For some reason, I guess since I rode most of the trail on the partial day, Strava is thinking I rode the entire trail. Even though the partial ride was 5.1 miles, and the full was 6.2 miles. The data from Garmin is correct, the interpretation by Strava is not in this case.

Ah, I misunderstood. Yep, the partial segment thing is also a glitch. I've seen that on some of my rides as well. (I'll get a time for an entire lap of a nearby park when I know that I only rode about 1/3 of the way. It doesn't seem to just hand out a KOM for that partial, though. :rofl)

ImaPoser 08-02-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut (Post 19269151)
What size did you end up with?

I went with the 23. I like the way they look.:D

rbrsddn 08-02-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImaPoser (Post 19270721)
I went with the 23. I like the way they look.:D

That's what I run. I used to ride the 20's, before I knew better...

pierce 08-02-2012 02:23 PM

i was reading a year or two back, the LD racers, like the grand tours, are running larger tires now, as big as 27s/28s, because the new tires are just as light, and have excellent rolling resistance and a smoother ride.

when I rode road bikes 30+ years ago, I used to run a skinnier tire in the front and a fatter one in the back, but these were Clement silk tubulars (we called them sew-ups back then), so I don't know the exact sizes. IIRC, I ran a Campianto(sp?) Del Mundo in the rear which was probably about a 28, and a Criterium or ?? in front which was a 21 or so or a paris-roubaix which was a little bigger and tougher, maybe a 23 (just guessing on the sizes). I think sometimes I ran p-r in rear and crit in front, heh, especially when I was running lighter 'blue label' rims instead of the sturdier 'red' rims. for touring with front/rear panniers, I'd run the del mundos on both rims.

I was even pretty good on roadside sewup repairs, when you get that 3rd flat on a trip. hah.

[typed while sitting on my ass feeling like crap, broken right foot (car accident) elevated on ice because I had surgery yesterday]

when I get my foot back, I *AM* going to beat myself up into shape, I have to lose like 50 lbs, being fat (230 lbs) sucks. my new ebay 700c hybrid is fedexing its way to me now. what really sucks is, the ER and the doc showed me as having high blood pressure... damn, I used to have LOW blood pressure.

Gummee! 08-03-2012 09:23 AM

Just got back from 2hrs on the bike with 2 x 20min over/unders. 2min over LT with 2min just under (sorta) repeat for 20min.

Lemme tell ya, them last few are TOUGH!

...Especially when yer doing em into a headwind.

M

2whl-hoop 08-03-2012 09:51 AM

This is my primary ride of late, an Electra Verse...

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...4010776198.jpg

We take it 6.2 miles to the Y, then I do a 45 min spin class, then we ride home. Usually we're able to do it 2-4 times a week. The last 1/2 mile is uphill, spiking to 10% near the end. If I figure the spin class at 12 miles, I'm usually getting over 100 miles a week in, but only about 30 of it is recorded with my gps, and that's only if I take my "real" bike out on the weekends... I may have to look into the Strava app for my phone...

I don't know what the whole rig weighs with the boy on board, but it's gotta be around 50 pounds. It rides nice though and the long top tube gives plenty of room so the seat doesn't hit my knees.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:26 AM.