ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

LoJack 08-05-2012 03:46 PM

I think that all depends on the brake and rotor combo. I've used the Avid Mech's and they aren't too loud, and hydraulic's can be nice and quiet. On my commuter, though, I have Avid Mech's with low end Shimano center lock rotors. Had to used those rotors for caliper clearance and they sound (and feel) like a bag of rocks... Maybe they just need to break in better. There's only a couple hundred miles on them.

Are the drop bar lever disk brakes getting any better? I always heard the leverage kinda sucked.

Mercury264 08-05-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbrsddn (Post 19284320)
Just got home from the final ride before the VT trip Tuesday. Man, was it nasty!!! 74% humidity... 56 miles, 3:27, 3030 FT of climbing... Gotta go wash the sweat off the bike, and clean it up for the trip. Anyone who rode today deserves at least one beer!!!:1drink

:clap

I thought about it...for about a second :D

rbrsddn 08-05-2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264 (Post 19292302)
:clap

I thought about it...for about a second :D

It was fawkin' hot!, but I had to do it! My 60 Yr old riding buddy is a climbing fool, and it's hard enough to even stay close! Gotta keep riding them hills!:deal The Speed Trip has been spending a lot of time in the barn... I've got close to 1600 miles on the Rhygin.:D

RxZ 08-05-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RxZ (Post 19290678)
Our local MTB trail has a nature trail that runs around it. This afternoon I am going to take my 6 year old on it to see how she likes riding on gravel. She is very excited, and keeps try to get mom and her sister out of the house so we can go! Its not much, and its going to be very hot so I don't know how she will like it, but I bet she will. She always watches when I leave to ride the actual trail, so I think that is her way of showing she wants to join in. We shall see...

And she liked it! Says she wants to go back, just not tomorrow :deal

She only crashed once, while turning in a rather sandy area (her dad crashes like that too). Other than that, she went just shy of two miles, and had a smile most of the time.

Gummee! 08-06-2012 06:36 AM

Least its truth in advertising
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...d/IMGP3418.jpg

RxZ 08-06-2012 06:56 AM

The girl actually working on the bike however :evil

ducnut 08-06-2012 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RxZ (Post 19295546)
The girl actually working on the bike however :evil

I was thinking the same thing! :lol3

ducnut 08-06-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop (Post 19291494)
One thing I don't care for on my Vaya is the disc brakes. They're powerful, but noisy as hell. It sounds like a garbage truck hauling itself up to a stop. People turn to look to see what all the racket is about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoJack (Post 19291666)
I think that all depends on the brake and rotor combo. I've used the Avid Mech's and they aren't too loud, and hydraulic's can be nice and quiet. On my commuter, though, I have Avid Mech's with low end Shimano center lock rotors. Had to used those rotors for caliper clearance and they sound (and feel) like a bag of rocks... Maybe they just need to break in better. There's only a couple hundred miles on them.

MY MTB brakes (Avid Elixer CR) are noisy, too. Yet, my GF's MTB (Avid Elixer), with the same pad/rotor combo is whisper quiet. I've cleaned my rotors and sanded the pads. It starts out quiet, but, ends up back to the same noise. I'm just running it, the way it is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoJack (Post 19291666)
Are the drop bar lever disk brakes getting any better? I always heard the leverage kinda sucked.

A local LBS told me the same thing, but, has proven unfounded. They just feel different than rim brakes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop (Post 19291494)
And they make sense on the Vaya as it's a more touring oriented bike, but I think they're probably overkill on a roadbike

Not at all. In the mountains, loaded up, or in crappy weather, they're the only way to go. Much more consistent, less maintenance, and never have to worry about fade.

LoJack 08-06-2012 09:38 AM

"MY MTB brakes (Avid Elixer CR) are noisy, too. Yet, my GF's MTB (Avid Elixer), with the same pad/rotor combo is whisper quiet. I've cleaned my rotors and sanded the pads. It starts out quiet, but, ends up back to the same noise. I'm just running it, the way it is."

Could be an alignment issue. I know most calipers have those dished washer to allow them to be aligned properly. Maybe try setting adjusting them, or take is a step further and have the mounts faced at you local bike shop. If it's the rear brake specifically, maybe it's some harmonic frequency the frame helps produce. I think that's more likely with a steel frame, though.

Of course, a little grease on the rotors will quiet those brakes right down:eek1:lol3

2whl-hoop 08-06-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoJack (Post 19296791)

Of course, a little grease on the rotors will quiet those brakes right down:eek1:lol3

I knew a guy when I was in high school who wd40'd the rims of his Trek road bike to quiet them down. :lol3
When he realized his mistake, as he was riding the bike, he wound up sticking his finger into the spokes and breaking it trying to wipe the rims off.:eek1

ImaPoser 08-06-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop (Post 19297169)
When he realized his mistake, as he was riding the bike, he wound up sticking his finger into the spokes and breaking it trying to wipe the rims off.:eek1

Did he ride in the tour de france this year?

pierce 08-06-2012 04:57 PM

re discs on road bikes, years ago I toured 1000s of miles on a heavily loaded road/touring bike with conventional campagnolo sidepulls and never had any problems stopping, even coming down long mountain grades. emergency braking at high speeds, etc. tire traction was a bigger problem. using the right brake pads, keeping them properly adjusted, and keeping the rims clean from rubber build up was the most important factor.

disks rock on a mountain bike when you're in the mud and stuff, no question. anywhere else I think they are pretty silly... ok, on a touring tandem where you're north of 300 lbs (2 riders + bike), yeah discs would rock (old school tandems would sometimes run dual braking systems, with a drum hub brake for slowing, and cantilever rim brakes for stopping).

k7 08-06-2012 06:33 PM

Prayers...friend down in Portland.

A friend of mine was severely injured in Portland today.

http://bikeportland.org/2012/08/06/c...ollision-75572

This is terrible news. Marilyn is a skilled rider, dedicated racer, experienced commuter and bike shop owner. She is very safety conscious and rides with lights and color day and night. She is tough as nails, and if anyone can recover from this, she will. She's already beaten cancer....she'll beat this also.

rbrsddn 08-06-2012 06:43 PM

I hope She has a swift recovery, and is back on her bike asap! I'll send positive thoughts from VT!

k7 08-06-2012 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbrsddn (Post 19300940)
I hope She has a swift recovery, and is back on her bike asap! I'll send positive thoughts from VT!

Thanks man....

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:15 AM.