ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Uncle Pollo 08-13-2012 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy (Post 19351065)
thanks all. Will forward info.

He also looked at Trek (madonne) and Specialized (Roubaix) .


zinncycles.com is still up and operational


yeah many many articles on crank arm length.

thanks again.

i got the roubaix at 210 pouns and 6'1. it does the job but o recommen 28 mm tires if jw a big boy

Uncle Pollo 08-13-2012 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 19352473)
errr, loving WHAT bike ?!?

he is doing great on that thing ... the ergos suck and i would be hurting big time on it ... motor or no motor.

what i am trying to teach him is how to be more efficient ... and that takes time.

his cardio can do but his skeleton is just about to catch up ... i predict that by wintertime he will be able to go on regular bike

zippy 08-14-2012 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 19354234)
i've been curious if the Keen SPD sandals are any good. probably more suited to casual hybrid bike riding than proper road biking but ya never know.


they are great ! I have indeed used then on my "fast" road bike and no problems. Comfortable to walk in as well.

zippy 08-14-2012 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo (Post 19354244)
i got the roubaix at 210 pouns and 6'1. it does the job but o recommen 28 mm tires if jw a big boy

he's about 180lbs . Tall thin guy.

zippy 08-14-2012 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakSpout (Post 19351919)
I'm 6'4", 226lb and I'm on a Specialized Roubaix in XXL. That's roughly a 61cm frame. It fits like a glove, but I'm slightly long in the legs compared to some folks my height. I can't imagine riding a 65cm frame. That seems huge, but I guess I'd have to throw a leg over it. :dunno


will let him know. He is mostly legs as well.

ducnut 08-14-2012 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougfromindy (Post 19353888)
I have a 48 euro foot , wide in width.
I am having some trouble finding an SPD shimano shoe with a wider width and a wider toe box. Its for a road bike but just after something comfy , could be a MTB shoe as well, decent price, don't need anything high end at all.
Can any of you nerds recommend something? Thanks

Try looking at the more casual shoes, as opposed to the racier types. The racier shoes, with stiff soles, seem to have a narrower fit. I don't have duck feet, but, definitely need a wider shoe. I'm currently wearing Specialized Tahoe MTB shoes, both on- and off-road. They're very comfortable to walk in. The newer model isn't quite as casual looking, though. The Keen Austin is, also, a wide shoe.

ducnut 08-14-2012 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy (Post 19355863)
he's about 180lbs . Tall thin guy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy (Post 19355868)
will let him know. He is mostly legs as well.

If that's the case, he definitely needs to ride whatever he's interested in.

My guess is that the KHS you posted is going to be way too long in cockpit dimension.

Uncle Pollo 08-14-2012 07:59 AM

Dear asshole neighbor who allows the dog to be out on the street.

If your dog bites me i am going to fucking shoot it with my .357.

I am not fucking around ... leave your fucking dog inside your fucking yard.

So far I have kept the pitberman whatever teh fuck it is at bay by charging at it.

Meanwhile all the other dogs in the alley are behaving thanks to the "dog whistler" app I blast through my smartphone.

ducnut 08-14-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo (Post 19357091)
Dear asshole neighbor who allows the dog to be out on the street.

If your dog bites me i am going to fucking shoot it with my .357.

I am not fucking around ... leave your fucking dog inside your fucking yard.

So far I have kept the pitberman whatever teh fuck it is at bay by charging at it.

Meanwhile all the other dogs in the alley are behaving thanks to the "dog whistler" app I blast through my smartphone.

Pepper spray, FTW! :evil

Uncle Pollo 08-14-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducnut (Post 19357137)
Pepper spray, FTW! :evil

What brand and size works better on a charging dog?

I could outsprint the mutt all day every day but there is a "z" on the road and I have no room to accelerate.

LoJack 08-14-2012 09:26 AM

anything that can shoot a solid stream 20ft should work. Sometimes it's nice to give the neighbor a warning that if the dog charges you again it'll get sprayed. They don't always get it, though. You do have the right to defend yourself with pepper spray. If the dog bites you, you can have it destroyed, though I think that's a little extreme. I love dogs. Have a bulldog, myself, and grew up with a kennel of sled dogs. Owners tend to be idiots. It's their fault for not training themselves or their dogs. Sometimes I think the owners should be peppersprayed...

NikonsAndVStroms 08-14-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoJack (Post 19357693)
anything that can shoot a solid stream 20ft should work. Sometimes it's nice to give the neighbor a warning that if the dog charges you again it'll get sprayed. They don't always get it, though. You do have the right to defend yourself with pepper spray. If the dog bites you, you can have it destroyed, though I think that's a little extreme. I love dogs. Have a bulldog, myself, and grew up with a kennel of sled dogs. Owners tend to be idiots. It's their fault for not training themselves or their dogs. Sometimes I think the owners should be peppersprayed...

Do they make anything like a small version of bear spray where it's more of a spray so you don't need the pinpoint accuracy?

LoJack 08-14-2012 01:49 PM

If it's a wide spray there is less velocity and more chance you'll get yourself. Even with bear spray, you don't want to be directly down wind. I know a guy who tried spraying a mama bear and just got himself. I'm amazed he's still alive, honestly..

I picked some up a while ago for my girlfriend that was for sale at a bike shop. She has a lab pup she is doing the basic training for guide service, so takes it where ever she goes (lucky). Needless to say she gets assaulted by off leash dogs all the time, or those on the super duper extendo leashes (..oh he's harmless..), or people that are ignorant enough to just start petting her dog without asking (.. I have a dog, where can I get one of those vests.., umm, no! this is serious what she does, it's not a pet!)

Sorry, anyway, it's called "Halt!" No idea if it's still available. The packaging looked like it could have been twenty years old.

pierce 08-14-2012 02:08 PM

indeed, heading straight at the dog has always worked pretty well for me. it freaks them out. trying to avoid the dog by going wide guarantees an intercept attempt, its in their genes as a pack hunter. I bent a few Silca Imperial pumps whacking this one idiot dog on the bottom of the hill I lived on back in the early 70s.

Eyes Shut 08-14-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 19354234)
i've been curious if the Keen SPD sandals are any good. probably more suited to casual hybrid bike riding than proper road biking but ya never know.

I LOVE my Keen SPD sandals but I ride a recumbent, so the biomechanics are not the same as with a road bike.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:44 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015