ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

pierce 08-14-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eyes Shut (Post 19359846)
I LOVE my Keen SPD sandals but I ride a recumbent, so the biomechanics are not the same as with a road bike.

how is their sizing? I have a several year old pair of Keen Newport sandals, size 12 fit me perfectly, just nice and loose without being sloppy. when I recently got a pair of Keen brand casual shoes ('Bidwell Lace' in black), I had to go up to size 13, the 12's were really tight, which surprised me.

NikonsAndVStroms 08-14-2012 02:40 PM

Anyone have an idea how much it would cost to ship a bike from MA to NM? Thinking about bringing my mountain bike here sometime in the near future if it's cheap to try some unassisted riding.

pierce 08-14-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms (Post 19359939)
Anyone have an idea how much it would cost to ship a bike from MA to NM? Thinking about bringing my mountain bike here sometime in the near future if it's cheap to try some unassisted riding.

ebay vendor charged me $65 to ship a bike fedex ground from coast to coast, so I imagine its somewhat cheaper than that. it was boxed in a bicycle box, front wheel, handlebars, pedals, and seat removed, a plastic protector was on the fork tips, the front wheel had the skewer removed and plastic protector caps over the axles, the frame, forks, and cranks were wrapped with thin foam held in place with blue masking tape, the loose parts also wrapped in foam, and masking taped to the frame so they wouldn't shift. there was some crumpled butcher paper on top to take up the slack. it arrived in perfect condition.

you can probably get a bike box and those plastic protector bits for free from an LBS when they are unboxing new bikes, call around.

mud 08-14-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms (Post 19359939)

Shop around. Shipping large items is getting pretty expensive.

In my experience, avoid UPS for the shipping of a complete bike.

Try to ship it to a business if you can. It makes it cheaper.

ducnut 08-14-2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Pollo (Post 19357233)
What brand and size works better on a charging dog?.

I have "Muzzle" brand. But, I think most all of them spray a stream. I've stopped a German Shepherd and 2 out of 3 Great Pyrenees (the 3rd got the message, when it saw the other 2 get sprayed). These dogs all stay well away from me, now.

ducnut 08-14-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 19360055)
ebay vendor charged me $65 to ship a bike fedex ground from coast to coast, so I imagine its somewhat cheaper than that.

Nope. Businesses get reduced rates, depending on how much they ship through FedEx.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud (Post 19360257)

Yep. UPS, using a standard bicycle box, will be over $100. I shipped a CF TT bike from IL to MN and it was just under $100, even after reducing the box size. UPS is expensive!

k7 08-14-2012 08:37 PM

Grayhound has been suggested on other bicycle forums as an inexpensive shipper. You might simply ask a bike shop - most appear to get volumn discounts. If you have a buddy who has a fed ex account from his job, you might be able to use his account number and reimburse him.

Gummee! 08-15-2012 06:00 AM

Read the 'drivetrain efficiency' section

Interesting stuff

(for us geeks)

M

ducnut 08-15-2012 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 19364429)
Read the 'drivetrain efficiency' section

Interesting stuff

(for us geeks)

I knew about the sprocket sizes. That's one of the reasons many of the pro tour teams run larger-than-normal idler pulleys. However, I figured cross-chaining would've had more impact.

I read an article, a while back, where one of Cancellara's mechanics said he actually bends normal chainrings. I can't imagine having that much power.

ducnut 08-15-2012 06:23 AM

Great deal!

zippy 08-15-2012 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 19359902)
how is their sizing? I have a several year old pair of Keen Newport sandals, size 12 fit me perfectly, just nice and loose without being sloppy. when I recently got a pair of Keen brand casual shoes ('Bidwell Lace' in black), I had to go up to size 13, the 12's were really tight, which surprised me.

not directed at me but

I have a pair of their coronado sandals in size 9 that fit snugly. When I got the spd sandals I went up 1/2 size so I could wear goretex socks when commuting in the winter. I can wear the spd sandals comfortably with or without socks as they are very adjustable. So as far as I can tell the two different sandals run the same in size.

NikonsAndVStroms 08-15-2012 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mud (Post 19360257)
Shop around. Shipping large items is getting pretty expensive.

Try to ship it to a business if you can. It makes it cheaper.

I'll look into this....I know locally owned shops on both ends so maybe it can work out.

surly357 08-15-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms (Post 19365188)
I'll look into this....I know locally owned shops on both ends so maybe it can work out.

no need to guess.

go to www.ups.com and click on 'calculate time and cost'. ;-)

Oznerol 08-15-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms (Post 19365188)

I had many good experiences with Ace/Belmont Wheelworks when I lived in the Boston area. If I wanted to ship a bike cross-country, I'd go ask them, first.

Mercury264 08-15-2012 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oznerol (Post 19365940)
I had many good experiences with Ace/Belmont Wheelworks when I lived in the Boston area. If I wanted to ship a bike cross-country, I'd go ask them, first.

They were on the local news last week (IIRC). Some guy walked and brazenly walked out with a Mtn bike. Even more brazenly, he then walked BACK in to the store 2 hours later (he'd changed) to buy a lock :lol3

Not sure they apprehended him - the found all this out later when they looked at the 'tape'

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:24 PM.