ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

zippy 08-10-2012 09:16 AM

if you don't mind me asking what salsa model was that ?

scorpion 08-10-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy (Post 19328261)
if you don't mind me asking what salsa model was that ?

Salsa Casserolle

Ironic, they had a recall on the matching stem a few years ago.
Beautiful stem that they said may crack.

Uncle Pollo 08-10-2012 10:39 AM

If it is THAT potholed you could get a front suspension.

Just saying.

PMC 08-10-2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpion (Post 19328284)
Salsa Casserolle

Ironic, they had a recall on the matching stem a few years ago.
Beautiful stem that they said may crack.


WOW on that fork. I know they built the casserolle fork to be road only but come on! It also doesn't look like you were trying to moto that thing either. I am not suprised they quietly took care of you but that shouldn't ever happen.

Saying that
I do like the Salsa guys and even work with the wife of one of them. It's cool seeing them 'testing' new stuff on the trails out my back door as I've seen some of the new stuff before it was anywhere near production.

Aurelius 08-10-2012 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264 (Post 19326982)
Aurelius is not here to be educated. He's made his mind up already....

It's beyond belief someone who actively rides a bicycle would suggest hitting/nudging/whatever them with their bumpers. I'm sure he's joking but really, it was in very poor taste.

:scratch I suggested nothing of the sort. Read the post(s) above mine: I was referring to the damage done to the bumper of a Prius in a link someone posted.

YakSpout 08-10-2012 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpion (Post 19328141)
Thanks, Taptalk kinda sucky

Came down laurel canyon (most screwed up road in LA) with it like that.

I'm thinking Ti with a carbon fork in the future :wink:

You're nuts. :rofl I'd never ride the hilly part of Laurel simply because the pavement is so bad, nevermind the traffic. Beverly Glen is on my usual commute and it's bad enough.

pierce 08-10-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakSpout (Post 19329998)
You're nuts. :rofl I'd never ride the hilly part of Laurel simply because the pavement is so bad, nevermind the traffic. Beverly Glen is on my usual commute and it's bad enough.

if you broke a steel fork, don't even THINK of carbon fiber. if you do, inspect it very closely every few weeks for microcracks.

scorpion 08-10-2012 05:24 PM

I hate casseroles so much that I keep a second one as back up :wink

Looking at the Salsa Vaya ti for a custom build, maybe time for discs.
Hard to get a ti frame and yet still have a steel fork.

Maybe ill just stop kidding myself and get a seven expat...it IS my car. Atleast I can sell it to the wife that way!

pierce 08-10-2012 06:02 PM

heh. reading the 'new bike' packet that came with this floor model 2010 Specialized Globe Vienna 2 (a 700x35c hybrid, with an alloy frame, steel forks), and it says, 100kg maximum rider weight for most Specialized bikes. :huh

I'm a nickle over that. what are really big guys supposed to do?

[this is purely rhetorical, I'm sure this bike will be fine, and I hope to use it to get under 100kg, target is 80kg.]

Mr Head 08-10-2012 09:04 PM

[Word up, the cracks that break that plastic fork will never be seen until you're looking at the pieces through a bloody face.
NDI, aka x-ray is the onyl way to see it before you experience it.
QUOTE=pierce;19330020]if you broke a steel fork, don't even THINK of carbon fiber. if you do, inspect it very closely every few weeks for microcracks.[/QUOTE]

ducnut 08-11-2012 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMC (Post 19328996)
WOW on that fork. I know they built the casserolle fork to be road only but come on! It also doesn't look like you were trying to moto that thing either. I am not suprised they quietly took care of you but that shouldn't ever happen.

I don't know. Things happen. *shrug*

Salsa seem to be a good group of people, by their blog. :thumb

rbrsddn 08-11-2012 07:41 AM

Got back last night from our trip. We went from Southern Vt into Mass, and rode around Mass for a while before heading back to VT through New Hampshire. A lot of hills. No decent pics as usual. 3 days, 249 miles, with 13,531 ft. of climbing. We rode the last 25 miles yesterday through a freakin' Monsoon! Thunder, lightning. The whole nine yds! That was pretty crazy. A couple of flats. Overall, a great time.

k7 08-11-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbrsddn (Post 19335171)
Got back last night from our trip. We went from Southern Vt into Mass, and rode around Mass for a while before heading back to VT through New Hampshire. A lot of hills. No decent pics as usual. 3 days, 249 miles, with 13,531 ft. of climbing. We rode the last 25 miles yesterday through a freakin' Monsoon! Thunder, lightning. The whole nine yds! That was pretty crazy. A couple of flats. Overall, a great time.

Sounds like a great trip - glad that you guys had a good, safe trip!

Gummee! 08-11-2012 11:07 AM

Scheduled: 4hrs with 2 x 20min over/unders (2min zone 5/2min zone 4/repeat)

Actually ridden: 1:13 easy. :dunno Between going to bed late, having the dog freak out during a t-storm at 0200, and getting up early, just didn't have legs today.

I'll do the remaining 2:45 and efforts tomorrow.

Next week: rest week :clap

M

k7 08-11-2012 11:11 AM

Saturday ride done - PMBC
 
Another Saturday, another ride with the Phoenix Metro Bicycle Club. 43 miles, little bit of climbing at around 1,000 ft. My powermeter says I briefly touched 695 watts and goldencheetah indicates xpower of 148 watts. I didn't try to blow by everyone as in the past - this was a fairly complicated route and twice, while ahead, I missed turns and had to backtrack. I held back until the last few miles and me and another guy pretty much dropped the rest.

Last week there were 90+ riders. I think the heat, which was near 100 towards the end of the ride, kept the count below 60.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014