ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Weirdo 08-16-2012 06:55 AM

Skeena River Challenge.

Me in the back :rofl

http://weirdo.smugmug.com/Sports/Cyc...1646431-XL.jpg

ducnut 08-16-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImaPoser (Post 19370133)
Well sonofabitch. I got in a heck of a good bike ride today. But, I noticed that at a couple of spots, there were piles of road construction signs along my route. Seeing how last year they chip sealed one of my favorite east-west roads and made it all but unusable for the remainder of the year, I feared they were doing some more. Well, after dinner, I decided to take a ride on the motorcycle to see what they had done. Sure enough, they chip sealed three of the roads on my typical route. :baldy I guess I need to start thinking of alternative routes for awhile. :cry

Exactly why I ride a 'cross bike. No more skinny tires, for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 19370442)
or just some fatty slicks, like if your bike has 700c road tires, try 700x28 or x32, and keep the pressure fairly low (say, 75-80psi). ride a little slower on the gravel sections.

I run 45psi in a 32mm (27.1 measured) at 170lbs. Conti has their stuff labeled way off from actual. Their 37mm measured 30.2mm. I'm ordering 42mm, next. My fenders comfortably clear 38mm, measured. That's where I want to be close to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaston Gagne (Post 19372842)

Glad to see you get around. :thumb

Uncle Pollo 08-16-2012 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoJack (Post 19357693)
anything that can shoot a solid stream 20ft should work. Sometimes it's nice to give the neighbor a warning that if the dog charges you again it'll get sprayed. They don't always get it, though. You do have the right to defend yourself with pepper spray. If the dog bites you, you can have it destroyed, though I think that's a little extreme. I love dogs. Have a bulldog, myself, and grew up with a kennel of sled dogs. Owners tend to be idiots. It's their fault for not training themselves or their dogs. Sometimes I think the owners should be peppersprayed...

off course I would prpper the owner first. on the same alley I got mipped by the oldest and fattest labrador alive

svs 08-16-2012 09:06 AM

I ride With Friends in the AM for exercise and a good way to start the day out on two wheels & enjoy the mornings. We head to the HB Pier in the AM to watch the Sun come up.... Nice this time of year as it's warm.

http://f-d.smugmug.com/Other/Daily-P.../0/L/008-L.jpg

http://f-d.smugmug.com/Other/Daily-P.../0/L/011-L.jpg

http://f-d.smugmug.com/Other/Daily-P.../0/L/007-L.jpg

Aurelius 08-16-2012 09:12 AM

Racer Dale Serge set a blistering lap time of 4 min, 52 seconds at my favorite local trail yesterday -- only 2 seconds slower than pro racer David Wood's long standing record. Makes me a bit queasy just watching it:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-ZR8cE-6jq0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

djb_rh 08-16-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee! (Post 19364429)
Read the 'drivetrain efficiency' section

Interesting stuff

(for us geeks)

M

I'd be curious to see similar studies on mountain bikes to see if the lubrication thing is as unimportant. Also wonder about the less extreme differences in chainring size.

--Donnie

fullmonte 08-16-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougfromindy (Post 19353888)
I have a 48 euro foot , wide in width.
I am having some trouble finding an SPD shimano shoe with a wider width and a wider toe box. Its for a road bike but just after something comfy , could be a MTB shoe as well, decent price, don't need anything high end at all.
Can any of you nerds recommend something? Thanks

Same situation here and I love the fit of my Lake MX165 Xwide shoes in size 48. I use these for road, mtb, and winter time spin classes. Looks like most retailers are out of stock in our size, so ebay might by your best bet.

pierce 08-16-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djb_rh (Post 19375229)
I'd be curious to see similar studies on mountain bikes to see if the lubrication thing is as unimportant. Also wonder about the less extreme differences in chainring size.

--Donnie

I don't think drivetrain efficiency is nearly the factor in mountainbiking that it is i roadbiking. there's far more rolling resistance, you're usually pedaling at lower speeds, and the only time you're going fast is downhill.

Aurelius 08-16-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce (Post 19375731)
I don't think drivetrain efficiency is nearly the factor in mountainbiking that it is i roadbiking. there's far more rolling resistance, you're usually pedaling at lower speeds, and the only time you're going fast is downhill.

I think you're right. Road biking involves traveling long distances at relatively high speeds, and the bikes themselves are made so super-efficient nowadays that the tiniest factor like a dirty chain can make a measurable difference in performance. Not so with mountain bikes, where variables like terrain, tire pressure, tread pattern, suspension, etc., make a far greater difference than a bit of sand on the chain will.

djb_rh 08-16-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aurelius (Post 19376096)
I think you're right. Road biking involves traveling long distances at relatively high speeds, and the bikes themselves are made so super-efficient nowadays that the tiniest factor like a dirty chain can make a measurable difference in performance. Not so with mountain bikes, where variables like terrain, tire pressure, tread pattern, suspension, etc., make a far greater difference than a bit of sand on the chain will.

"A bit of sand"? How about repeated immersion in water and mud?

Part of why drivetrain loss was so small was attributed to running 52 front sprockets, too. My 1x10 bike has a 30T front. That's a pretty big difference.

And while by percentage of overall bike efficiency the drivetrain might not be as significant as in road biking, the simple fact is that power loss is power loss, and if the drivetrain is TWICE as inefficient as a road bike, that could be VERY significant in 100 mile XC races, for example.

The reason I ask is to understand if just maybe it's worth it to stop and clean and lube the chain in that kind of environment, or if perhaps the gain isn't offset by the time loss of doing the maintenance. It only takes 60 seconds and most, and if you're talking about doing it after 40 miles of a race at an aid station right before a 10 mile long nearly 3,000 foot climb (which is something that happens at Leadville, for example), it might just be worth it.

Again, I don't understand why OTHER inefficiencies of MTB have ANYTHING to do with this. I mean if THAT mattered, then I'd argue that the fact that you go "so fast" on a road bike means your drivetrain efficiencies aren't a big deal because aero drag is so much larger in comparison to your road bike. But that makes just as little sense.

--Donnie

Aurelius 08-17-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djb_rh (Post 19378280)
"A bit of sand"? How about repeated immersion in water and mud?

Part of why drivetrain loss was so small was attributed to running 52 front sprockets, too. My 1x10 bike has a 30T front. That's a pretty big difference.

And while by percentage of overall bike efficiency the drivetrain might not be as significant as in road biking, the simple fact is that power loss is power loss, and if the drivetrain is TWICE as inefficient as a road bike, that could be VERY significant in 100 mile XC races, for example.

If we're talking about racing 100 miles on a mountain bike, then I would certainly spend the time to make certain the bike is operating as efficiently as possible. That hasn't the vaguest resemblance to the kind of trail riding I and most people do, however, where factors such as tire choice, tire pressure, and suspension settings yield far more tangible results than a perfectly clean and lubed chain.

Gummee! 08-17-2012 05:49 PM

3ish hours on the Full Tilt Boogie today with some buddies. Did a few loops around The Plains, VA and up and over Bull Run Mtn. Mostly dirt roads. :ricky

I gotta tell ya. Tubulars sure do ride nice. Even when they're pumped up to 40-ish psi!

M

Uncle Pollo 08-17-2012 05:52 PM

after taking jon for a spin yesterday i just commuted 9 miles rountrip to work

i can't wait for things to cool off ... it's been a brutal summer here

FinlandThumper 08-17-2012 11:47 PM

Next week I will hit 1000 miles on the new Marin since April. Not bad since i didnt ride it at all in july since i was on summer vacation.

It's been a beautiful summer, and a thousand miles more than I rode last year. :D

I plan to set it up with studded tires and continue through winter. Lots of folks manage it here so I figure, why not me too? At this rate I will have another 700 miles by christmas.

FinlandThumper 08-17-2012 11:50 PM

General question.

I want to get some clip in pedals which also work with regular shoes. Am I right that any pedal labelled as "spd" is what I am looking for?

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:28 AM.