ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Dark 01-23-2007 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacksan
Ok gang, I pretty much made up my mind that in order to visit Perry in style this summer I need to build my own fixie. So, please help me spec my own baby with cool, but practical cost factor.

Thanks in advance,
Adrian AKA blacksan

I've got a 52cm mid 90's carbon & aluminum trek frame. Semi verticle drop outs, light, nice riding frame. Just too small for me. I go a bit over 5'10" & I think it would be best for 5'7"-5'9". It has an RX 100 BB & triple crank that is still smooth.

If it fit I'd probably make it a fixed myself

Sell or trade for?
http://www.seapoet.smugmug.com/photos/124996505-M.jpg

They look pretty good fixed
http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/2005...fWhite_3-1.jpg

Boo Radley 01-23-2007 07:04 AM

New Hi-Fi Deluxe

Hey guys,
Just got a Gary Fisher Hi-Fi deluxe (thanks for responding in my other thread). Looks like a great bike. One question though: Is there any criteria besides feel for picking out a mountain bike seat? The one on it is killing my arse.

Other that that, it's great. I can't wait to take it off some sweet jumps...:rofl

Boo

Flaco 01-23-2007 07:55 AM

WTB has a V series that I really like.

Rocket V, Pure V, Speed V, Laser V....

I'm in montrose and have a handful of saddles if you'd like to borrow one or two and want to come pick them up to try before you buy.

...but I really recommend the WTB for your ATB.

Good job on the bike! That's a really sweet looking bike.

F.

Speaker 01-23-2007 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
I also practiced some track stands, (any advice on how to practice greatly appreciated) I figured out this much - you can't be afraid to pedal backwards, and turn the bars alot.

Advice: Don't turn the bars left to right. Trackstands on a fixie and different than trackstands on a freewheel. Put your good foot forward, turn the wheel the opposite direction, and keep it there. For me it's left foot forward, wheel turned right. Standing trackstands are easier than sitting, because instead of pressing with your thighs to turn the cranks you can just shift your weight from side to side/back to front.

Practice whenever you can, every time you stop. Bring the bike in the house and trackstand while watching TV.

Zodiac 01-23-2007 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speaker
Advice: Don't turn the bars left to right. Trackstands on a fixie and different than trackstands on a freewheel. Put your good foot forward, turn the wheel the opposite direction, and keep it there. For me it's left foot forward, wheel turned right. Standing trackstands are easier than sitting, because instead of pressing with your thighs to turn the cranks you can just shift your weight from side to side/back to front.

Practice whenever you can, every time you stop. Bring the bike in the house and trackstand while watching TV.

Thanks, I can only do them (not long though) standing up.

Will try the one direction too.

And if you fall in front of the TV, no one see's you dump....:evil

Omi 01-23-2007 09:55 AM

I have been practicing riding backwards on my fixey. I have it down on my mountainbike, but can't do it as well on my new bike. It's wierd because I can pedal backwards on the new one. :dunno

memphisslim 01-23-2007 11:05 AM

flug is gaining peddle faster

Zodiac 01-23-2007 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OMI1150GS
I have been practicing riding backwards on my fixey. I have it down on my mountainbike, but can't do it as well on my new bike. It's wierd because I can pedal backwards on the new one. :dunno

I find it alot easier to track stand with sneakers on then with the clip ins on...must be the fact that I know I ain't getting the shoe out of the Look pedal fast enough if I start to go down.

Omi 01-23-2007 11:44 AM

Quote:

I find it alot easier to track stand with sneakers on then with the clip ins on...must be the fact that I know I ain't getting the shoe out of the Look pedal fast enough if I start to go down.

I have been riding with platform pedals on most of my bikes latley. I may slap my Time clipless on the track bike once I get used to it.

mistercindy 01-23-2007 12:44 PM

It took a long time to contribute to this thread, so here goes...

I have a Gunnar Sport set up with Shimano 105 group and a honey colored Brooks B17 titanium saddle that I had built in December of 2004. Its a great road bike but is less aggressive than a true racing road bike (Gunnar's racing road bike is called the Roadie). Gunnar's paint selection sucks, IMHO. But they're built by Waterford, and for a few extra dollars they'll put any Waterford paint on it that you'd like. I got mine in Waterford's "Rockwall Red" which is sort of metallic with a bit of brown in it. Basically a cool looking metallic maroon. Looks way cool with the Brooks saddle! It has kind of a cool retro look. But its all modern (well, except for the Brooks!)!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gambrinus
SOMA - Lotsstreet cred with the right crowd, and stickers straight from the Bay Area.. so it must be "cool" right??

Lots of small American builders doing some VERY cool frames in steel that won't break the bank. Why buy from a marketing company that does nothing more than "design" ya, right... stickers and choose colors for the frames that they purchase out of the far east when you can get something made right here in the good ol US of A?? I mean you can order from Gunnar (Waterford) and actually TALK to the guy who will be making your frame if you want some custom features.. Less than a grand for an 853 tig frame...

Gunnar, Burley, IF, CoMotion...

Gunnar is probably the best "bang for the buck" in the American made steel frame market.

Shop around..and don't fall for the slick marketing crap.

RW

Agreed. I knew I wanted a steel frame. I also knew I didn't want to fork over the money for a true custom like Waterford or Serotta. I also checked cheaper ones like Soma and they just weren't right. I really liked Rivendell, but they just seemed a bit out there for my tastes. And I would have bought a LeMond, but they had just gotten out of the steel frame business (pissed me off). I also thought of a Bianchi.

But in the end, Gunnar just seemed right, and the guy I had build it for me in Dallas had a long history with the old Paramount, and was a local dealer for Waterford. He agreed that for what I wanted out of a bike, and for what I was willing to spend, that Gunnar was great.

Oh yes, one of the times I called Gunnar I actually spoke to Richard Schwinn. Pretty cool. I didn't ask for the boss or anything, he just picked up the phone.

yater 01-23-2007 01:04 PM

It's been a while. I recently picked up a surly long haul trucker frame (in utility blue) and am in the process of building it. I have some nice touring stuff in mind (shimano 550 canti brakes, r400 levers, dura ace 9 speed bar end shifters, 26" wheels (xt hubs), sugino crank, 105 front derailleur, xt rear der, etc.

I also recently replaced my race bike (MTB) with an '07 giant anthem 1. With a few carbon goodies, the anthem weighs ~25 lbs and is a really darty bike...a great race bike.

My road bike is a bianchi virata ('05 with full ultegra) and is still rocking. I'm still getting in 150+ miles/week....getting ready for the spring mtb race season. I can't wait!

K_N_Fodder 01-23-2007 03:54 PM

Hans Rey Irish Adventures

I hope this isn't a repost - I did a few quick searches and didn't see it.

Check out the pics of Hans and Steve Peat riding the Cliffs of Moher.

http://www.hansrey.com/latestadventures.htm

OMG pucker factor.

Gummee! 01-23-2007 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boo Radley
Hey guys,
Just got a Gary Fisher Hi-Fi deluxe (thanks for responding in my other thread). Looks like a great bike. One question though: Is there any criteria besides feel for picking out a mountain bike seat? The one on it is killing my arse.

Other that that, it's great. I can't wait to take it off some sweet jumps...:rofl

Boo

Feel's the thing. Some seats fit my arse, some don't. You just hafta experiment.

Soft ain't good after about an hour. :nono Squishes up into yer soft tissue and makes things hurt more not less.

Start lookin on ebay or craigslist for used saddles and try some. Borrow buddies' bikes and see which seat feels good. I personally like the Flite Gel series, but that's just me. I'm jonesin to try an Arione, but I don't wanna pay the big $$ just to try it. Anyone wanna send me a seat to try for a bit? :ear

Good luck. Remember, you WILL fall. After you get over that fact you'll be OK.

M

blacksan 01-23-2007 04:23 PM

Quote:

I'm not riding w you unless you get Phil Wood hubs.....

you know how it is.

:lol3

Yuppy! When I show up with "Big Wood" hubs and my massive manly power plants/legs you will suffer Mr. Rolling Rock! :wings:lol3

Gummee! 01-23-2007 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacksan
Yuppy! When I show up with "Big Wood" hubs and my massive manly power plants/legs you will suffer Mr. Rolling Rock! :wings:lol3

Feh. Who needs Phil Wood? Campy baby!

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...rear_track.jpg

:tb

Loooooove mine! No you can't have em! :lol2

M

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:28 AM.