ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Flaco 01-24-2007 07:52 AM

Museeuw ends omerta

Wow.

The Lion of Flanders admits he didn't 'play the game 100% honest' at the end of his career.

article

Does anyone care? I guess it's something I sort of knew but didn't want to know.

Pro bike racing is a dirty business.

Flaco

schwarzeradler 01-24-2007 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mistercindy

Oh yes, one of the times I called Gunnar I actually spoke to Richard Schwinn. Pretty cool. I didn't ask for the boss or anything, he just picked up the phone.

If you're ever in the Waterford, WI area, all you have to do is give them a call, ask when to show up, and Richard (or possibly someone else) will give you a tour of their shop...not just a 5 minute tour, we were there for about an hour. I say shop because the faciliity is not much bigger than a small grocery store, so taking an hour to go through made it very thorough. We (GF and I) did that just before we left on our 2 month Europe bike tour. It's definitely worth a call for the tour.

Dark 01-24-2007 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
That's for a triple, right? :ear

If so, the original XT and/or XTR should work as well. I have D/A on my XTR crank equipped cross bike. Trick is... you hafta get the original octalink, not the new stuff.

Or just get Ultegra. :dunno

Craigslist is yer friend too. :nod

M

Can't find an ultegra to save my life

The XT is a V1 Octalink 68 / 118 english - should work.....how much difference would there be from the ultegra as far as quality? The XT is $14 bucks cheaper

I'm not racing, just riding

Gummee! 01-24-2007 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark
Can't find an ultegra to save my life

The XT is a V1 Octalink 68 / 118 english - should work.....how much difference would there be from the ultegra as far as quality? The XT is $14 bucks cheaper

I'm not racing, just riding

XT and Ultegra are pretty well same-same. XT may very well have slightly better seals.

Stay away from XTR or D/A. Last I checked niether were sealed bearing designs.

M

Zodiac 01-26-2007 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacksan
Yuppy! When I show up with "Big Wood" hubs and my massive manly power plants/legs you will suffer Mr. Rolling Rock! :wings:lol3

Yuppy!

:lol3 :lol3

(I wish....)

blacksan 01-26-2007 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
Yuppy!

:lol3 :lol3

(I wish....)

Dude, when do you have free time during the spring/summer? I was serious about loading/locking up my pickup and visiting! We can ride/skate a little in the big apple if you will be my guide. Don't worry about security as I will be heavly armed case of zombie attack. :lol3

Zodiac 01-26-2007 07:47 PM

Quote:

Dude, when do you have free time during the spring/summer? I was serious about loading/locking up my pickup and visiting! We can ride/skate a little in the big apple if you will be my guide. Don't worry about security as I will be heavly armed case of zombie attack. :lol3

Probably in Spring (warmer the better). I'm not worried bout the zombies as much as I'd be worried about the stuff loaded in your pick up when you go to park....:lol3

No need for security, I ride through Central Park in the dead of night, it's as peaceful as a lamb (just w some strange characters boppin around).

Now we just gotta find you a place to sleep......

:1drink :D

blacksan 01-26-2007 07:50 PM

Quote:

Probably in Spring (warmer the better). I'm not worried bout the zombies as much as I'd be worried about the stuff loaded in your pick up when you go to park....:lol3

No need for security, I ride through Central Park in the dead of night, it's as peaceful as a lamb (just w some strange characters boppin around).

Now we just gotta find you a place to sleep......

:1drink :D

Sheeet, I is a redneck and could sleep in my pick up truck. :lol3

Zodiac 01-26-2007 07:53 PM

Quote:

Sheeet, I is a redneck and could sleep in my pick up truck. :lol3

You'll probably still get a ticket for illegal camping:D

Zodiac 01-27-2007 12:38 PM

Took the fixie out for a 21 mile ride today, again real easy uphill, not so easy down.

Felt great though, weird to never stop pedaling, I keep thinking I must look funny when I'm going downhill.:D

I wonder if the bike should fit you differently when it's fixed? Seems like you should have a longer reach to the peds in 6 oclock position, but I could be wrong.

Either way, glad I got this. Great bike.

blacksan 01-27-2007 04:18 PM

Quote:

Took the fixie out for a 21 mile ride today, again real easy uphill, not so easy down.

Felt great though, weird to never stop pedaling, I keep thinking I must look funny when I'm going downhill.:D

I wonder if the bike should fit you differently when it's fixed? Seems like you should have a longer reach to the peds in 6 oclock position, but I could be wrong.

Either way, glad I got this. Great bike.

The fact that you never stop pedaling is why I really dig fixie riding. It really does make you pay attention to cadence! I found that holding yourslf back going down hill is an excellent workout. I guess you must have fliped that hub already, are you going to stay in this mode?

Zodiac 01-27-2007 04:35 PM

Quote:

The fact that you never stop pedaling is why I really dig fixie riding. It really does make you pay attention to cadence! I found that holding yourslf back going down hill is an excellent workout. I guess you must have fliped that hub already, are you going to stay in this mode?

Nope, haven't flipped the wheel yet, I look at the freewheel as just an emergency thing, get too tired, big downhill, etc.

I only had one "incident when I was talking to some other rider, I paused for a second and WHOOOOP, the leg comes right up. Keeps you on your toes..

Now If I can just master a trackstand in the clip ons (it's much easier with just sneakers, less scary since you can jump right off the bike.

blacksan 01-27-2007 05:08 PM

Quote:

Nope, haven't flipped the wheel yet, I look at the freewheel as just an emergency thing, get too tired, big downhill, etc.

I only had one "incident when I was talking to some other rider, I paused for a second and WHOOOOP, the leg comes right up. Keeps you on your toes..

Now If I can just master a trackstand in the clip ons (it's much easier with just sneakers, less scary since you can jump right off the bike.

The dam kids in town make trackstand look so easy. :bluduh

Gummee! 01-28-2007 08:53 AM

Quote:

The dam kids in town make trackstand look so easy. :bluduh

Practice, practice, practice!

M

Zodiac 01-28-2007 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Practice, practice, practice!

M

Just went for a 24 miler, ended in Central Park, figured I'd practice some trackstands.

Took a nice DUMP fully clipped in in front of about 100 people....

:lol3

Gotta do that at night next time...:deal

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:43 PM.