ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Zodiac 03-12-2007 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken
I'm counting on going from 2 a week (sat and sun) to 3 with DST :nod

:thumb One to two for me.

Speaker 03-12-2007 07:41 AM

what a rad bike pierce.
I've been lookin for a cruiser frame, I want to convert it to a 29er fixed gear :D

gambrinus 03-12-2007 07:48 AM

As each week passes, my son ( 1yr old next week) enjoys his rides in the Burley more and more. Just a few weeks ago he was only content to ride for an hour or so. Yesterday we were out for almost 3hrs. 'Nilla wafers and lots of toys in the trailer may have had something to do with his happy state of mind. Now that we can be out for a few hours, my fat out of shape ass has ZERO excuse to not be out and about at least a couple of times per week.

RW

pierce 03-12-2007 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speaker
what a rad bike pierce.
I've been lookin for a cruiser frame, I want to convert it to a 29er fixed gear :D

I've had it since the late 70s, when I picked it up as a used bike... Best guess is, it started life as a department store cruiser, its a rather light steel frame, and had its forks swapped out for some redline or similar tubulars (they were very heavily chromed), and its ashtabula crank swapped out for a cotterless bottom bracket. the alloy bars, seatpost, old school BMX cranks were all on it when i got it, but I've swapped the wheels (the original wheels were built with crappy tin spokes on cheesy BMX hubs, my front is a early Wheelsmith mtn bike rim, and the rear is a home-lace on a sturmey archer drum brake). it has a 5 speed cluster (old school screw-on freewheel).

Askel 03-12-2007 07:50 AM

My poor, poor neglected motorcycles. With the recent high temperatures and melting snow, bicycle lust is setting in bad. Although, lately I've been drooling over mountain bikes a lot more than road bikes.

I may get my bent and beaten Trek 820 out and try cleaning it up and mounting some skinny tires on it for the time being.

For now though, I'm busy enjoying what may be the last few remnants of the local cross country ski season.

knary 03-12-2007 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gambrinus
As each week passes, my son ( 1yr old next week) enjoys his rides in the Burley more and more. Just a few weeks ago he was only content to ride for an hour or so. Yesterday we were out for almost 3hrs. 'Nilla wafers and lots of toys in the trailer may have had something to do with his happy state of mind. Now that we can be out for a few hours, my fat out of shape ass has ZERO excuse to not be out and about at least a couple of times per week.

RW

:thumb

Why is it your story interests me more than the racing epics? :scratch

Gummee! 03-12-2007 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knary

'Cause yer a sick fuck? :dunno

:lol2

I'm getting over a really good chest cold, so no exercising AT ALL for me for the last week+. Week before that, the weather was for shite, so nothing then either. I'm starting to feel like the fat, outta shape, middle-aged sonofabitch that I am! Ugh.

Managed to get the GF on the back of the RT:ricky for a blitz down to Prescott (Murphy's :dg :tb) yesterday tho. VERY nice temps for a change! Sedona was a mad-house. Highly recommend you DO NOT go to Sedona on a weekend! Ugh. Too many farging cars. Too many farging toowrists. Good thing there's only a few stoplights!

On the way out of Jerome, we passed a pair of ?525? Katooms with BD 6" lights on the fronts. Anyone we know? :ear

M

dlew 03-12-2007 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knary

Because your GS won't start, your wife's getting a new bicycle, and you want to have kids?

Or maybe you like 'nilla wafers. :lol3

knary 03-12-2007 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlew
Because your GS won't start, your wife's getting a new bicycle, and you want to have kids?

Or maybe you like 'nilla wafers. :lol3

:yikes

Maybe, just maybe, regular people are more interesting. :nod

Oznerol 03-12-2007 10:29 AM

Took most of last week off from bike-commuting, after a ride home on tuesday that left my hands completely numb and my brain kinda fogged up; In retrospect, it was a pretty clear symptom of hypothermia. I thought I was pretty well bundled up, but it was just too farging cold and windy.

We had fantastic weather yesterday (sunny, temps in the 50s), so I used the opportunity to take the long-distance bike out for a quick 20-mile jaunt to test out some adjustments I've made to the fit (new stem to bring the handlebars up and back). I've been lazy about using the trainer for the last month, so I'm once again feeling sluggish and out of shape, but it was great to be out and riding around, anyways.

I also used yesterday's ride to test out a backroads route to some local mountain biking trails. Turns out that this route is both quieter and more direct than the main roads; I can get to the trailhead from my doorstep in about 15 minutes. This will be a much easier way to get there than borrowing the gf's car.

Gummee! 03-12-2007 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody
Took most of last week off from bike-commuting, after a ride home on tuesday that left my hands completely numb and my brain kinda fogged up; In retrospect, it was a pretty clear symptom of hypothermia. I thought I was pretty well bundled up, but it was just too farging cold and windy.

We had fantastic weather yesterday (sunny, temps in the 50s), so I used the opportunity to take the long-distance bike out for a quick 20-mile jaunt to test out some adjustments I've made to the fit (new stem to bring the handlebars up and back). I've been lazy about using the trainer for the last month, so I'm once again feeling sluggish and out of shape, but it was great to be out and riding around, anyways.

I also used yesterday's ride to test out a backroads route to some local mountain biking trails. Turns out that this route is both quieter and more direct than the main roads; I can get to the trailhead from my doorstep in about 15 minutes. This will be a much easier way to get there than borrowing the gf's car.

I have an issue driving to go riding. IF (and there are at the moment) off-road trails within riding distance of the house, that's what I'd rather do. :nod One of the reasons I stopped mtn biking. Moved from B-burg to NoVA and the 'good trails' were HOURS away. :puke1 Screw that! I'll ride the road instead. So I did. For lotsa years. :ricky

Now, I have a buncha FS roads in my backyard to explore (once I get over this cold!) on the cross bike. No traffic. No asshats in cages giving me shite. :thumb Should be a lot of fun! Now if only I wasn't so fat and outta shape... :cry Oh well. I HAVE a pair of rollers here, I just don't ride em. :nah

M

Askel 03-12-2007 10:38 AM

Hmmm.... My competitive cross country ski season was a bust. Maybe time to set new goals for this summer.

http://www.chaindrive.org/

:evil

Zodiac 03-12-2007 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
I have an issue driving to go riding. .

M

Yes, you have alot of issues....:evil

You might think differently if you lived here, where it's the only option when you want to ride outside of the urban jungle...:deal

Gummee! 03-12-2007 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
Yes, you have alot of issues....:evil

You might think differently if you lived here, where it's the only option when you want to ride outside of the urban jungle...:deal

:nah BTDT Still didn't like driving to go riding. Don't like driving to go racing either, but its kind of a necessary evil if you race track. :norton

I can understand why people do it. I just don't like it!

M

Oznerol 03-12-2007 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
I have an issue driving to go riding.

I've got that hang-up, too. That's what's kept me from ever getting into dirt bikes or track days -- I'm sure I'd love it, but if I have to go to the trouble of getting the bike loaded up on a trailer and driving a couple of hours to get to the trails/track, I just won't go often enough to justify having the dedicated bike.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:03 PM.