ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

KellyC 03-26-2007 10:24 AM

The Redlands Bicycle Classic just came through my neighborhood over the weekend. Saw a lot of people who shouldn't be wearing spandex.

Ride Baggy. The drag will get you into better shape faster and you won't look like lumpy turd wrapped in saran warp.

Just my 2 cents.

knary 03-26-2007 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlew
I don't know if I'd say bang for the buck applies here but the most comfortable shorts I've every owned were a pair of Assos shorts. Numerous mall details added-up made a difference.

And knary, enjoyed your ride report very much. Congrats on that and I'm into your fenders.

:thumb

We're heading out for a brief, keep the legs warm, ride in a few minutes.

Gummee! 03-26-2007 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
So it's warming up, and I'm gonna need some shorts. The one's from last yr are kinds cheap nashbar generics, padding is less to be desired.

I've had good luck with my Pearl Izumi tights/pants.

ANy suggestions, most bang for the buck in shorts?

Try the PI outlets. Sometimes you can actually find last year's shorts on sale.

After that, shop STP, PBS, and the others for sale shorts. :thumb OR work for a shop. That's how I got my 5 pairs of PI shorts, jerseys, t-shirts, hats, & etc... :augie

M

Gummee! 03-26-2007 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yater
I don't have any issues with the PI shorts....but I weigh 132 lbs. I do plenty of road riding with them (~200 miles/week). The voler bib is the best I've tried...especially for $70. I haven't tried assos stuff though.

Voler :puke1 Has seams that tear my nether regions to bits. :puke1 EVERY ride in em I had sores where they rubbed. :nono NOT good.

PI does OK. I've got ~5 pair of shorts and/or knickers

I LOVE my Assos Bib-knickers even tho they shrank by about 30#

Canari seems to be OK, but I've heard others bitching about em

Favorite shorts ever were some 'insert famous triathlete name here' shorts made by Descente. Bought 4 pairs and wore em all out. Haven't tried the new Descente bibs, so YMMV

Also hear good things about the Hincapie bibs. Haven't tried those either.

Tried PBS shorts with the real chamois in em way back when. Thank doG they came out with synthetic. :nod

HTH

M

Charlie Brown 03-26-2007 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knary
:dunno
I like my Pearl Izumi attack shorts - not their best kit, but I can afford them ($50ish on sale). Performance Bike's Ultra shorts are well rated and around the same price, but they don't fit my man ass.


im a hell of a lot bigger than you and they fit me perfectly. i need a new jersey though. im thinking white and sleevelessif i could find a nice white sleeveless full zip jersey arround $40-50 id be happy.

knary 03-26-2007 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Brown
im a hell of a lot bigger than you and they fit me perfectly. i need a new jersey though. im thinking white and sleevelessif i could find a nice white sleeveless full zip jersey arround $40-50 id be happy.

I don't have legs to match my man ass. They're not made for booty.
:hide

YakSpout 03-26-2007 03:40 PM

Knary, nice work getting your wife involved. :thumb

My wife did 22+ miles with her dad on Sunday and loved it. I missed this week's ride due to a sprained ankle, but I'm hoping to be out there next weekend with them. She walked through the door with a huge grin and was very proud that she hit 16.5mph at one point. I told her that was great since her top speed was about 4mph slower on the previous ride. She said she even "shifted onto that big gear". :D She's slowly gaining confidence, but I know she's got the bug. She made me take her shopping for bike shorts and a skull cap and was talking about getting ready for the Solvang Prelude at the end of the year.

We'll have to get her average speed up, though, first. :baldy






:rofl

vfr700 03-26-2007 05:20 PM

Which one of you degenerates still shaves (besides Yater)? I for one stopped shortly after I stopped racing. It was too much fucking work. Considering that I come from Greek & Italian ancestors shaving the gams for no reason is alot of work. :deal

I've considered getting licensed again and hitting the masters races, but I'm on the fence. I don't know if I have the will to climb the senior ranks either. I did it once but the thought of starting again as a IV is scary in and of itself, but now there's a V. After working my way through the IV's and III's twenty years ago I don't know that I want to do it again. You had to earn yout cat II license and in doing so you'd pick up some skills. Ego's aside I think that it is a wreck waiting to happen, and I don't want to burn sick time or be put on light duty 'cause someone hooked me. But I do miss the competition from time to time.

I can't be the only one who feels this way?

Flaco 03-26-2007 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vfr700
Which one of you degenerates still shaves (besides Yater)? I for one stopped shortly after I stopped racing. It was too much fucking work. Considering that I come from Greek & Italian ancestors shaving the gams for no reason is alot of work. :deal

I've considered getting licensed again and hitting the masters races, but I'm on the fence. I don't know if I have the will to climb the senior ranks either. I did it once but the thought of starting again as a IV is scary in and of itself, but now there's a V. After working my way through the IV's and III's twenty years ago I don't know that I want to do it again. You had to earn yout cat II license and in doing so you'd pick up some skills. Ego's aside I think that it is a wreck waiting to happen, and I don't want to burn sick time or be put on light duty 'cause someone hooked me. But I do miss the competition from time to time.

I can't be the only one who feels this way?

Talk to the district rep. They'll let you skip the 5's if you can convince them you were once a 2.

You are alone. I have no desire to race the road again. Way too much commitment for way too little glory...as for shaving...one could weave two mexican blankets with the hair on my legs.

Flaco

Flaco

vfr700 03-26-2007 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaco
Talk to the district rep. They'll let you skip the 5's if you can convince them you were once a 2.

You are alone. I have no desire to race the road again. Way too much commitment for way too little glory...as for shaving...one could weave two mexican blankets with the hair on my legs.

Flaco

Flaco

I share similar sentiments with regard to investing the time to achieve the goal, and that is one of the reasons I drag my feet. It's not that big of a deal I've got enough other shit going on to keep me busy.

yater 03-26-2007 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vfr700
I share similar sentiments with regard to investing the time to achieve the goal, and that is one of the reasons I drag my feet. It's not that big of a deal I've got enough other shit going on to keep me busy.

It sounds like you just don't have what it takes:cry

*in my best "the Jan" voice*......

"I am the Kaiser. I crush the souls of the weak."

yater 03-26-2007 07:00 PM

Has everyone read the Jan's blog? Here's a pre-le tour entry:lol3



The Basso's fear is smelling like cigarettes and back hair. No, wait. That's just the Basso.


I am the Jan. I am the Destroyer of Worlds.

So, fuck ja. The Jan is being rocking the road, bros. If you are not being hearing yet, the Jan is totally living up to his yearbook pledge of having a K/A summer. Of course, in the Jan's yearbook there were also many entreaties to "Stay Sweet," which the Jan was obviously ignoring.
Another Tour de Suisse in the can, and now it is being time for the Suisse-France double. Only the Mighty Uniballed One has done it, back in 2001, and before that, only Merckxxkexa-7. (Note to self: the Jan must learn to spell more things better-y.)

They are being loving the Jan in Switzerland, which is being kind of weird because the Swiss are being like the Vanilla Ice Cream of nations, while if the Jan were an ice cream, he would be the Chocolate Double Fudge with Chunks of Blood and Baby Tears. But whatever, the Jan is being cool with it.

There was being much rain and wind and lightning when Jan did begin to pedal yesterday, but that was totally being the Jan's fault. The Jan must be careful when pedaling, for when the Jan's massive thighs begin to spin so close together, they are creating a low pressure system centered on the Jan's "special place" that is often causing massive weather anomalies and atmospheric disturbances. It can be embarassing. There have been many cases where the Jan is being totally breaking it down on the dance floor, and then busts out with the Jan's favorite move, the Roger Rabbit, and then whole villages are blown away into ash and smoke, and for nights afterward there are being many sightings of strange lights in the sky.
So, the Jan saw that the CSC won the Team Time Trial in Eindhoven yesterday. Ooooooooooo.
Please.

The T-Mobile plan was actually being for Jan to compete in both events yesterday, and for the Team Time Trial the entire T-Mobile team would simply crawl onto the Jan's back, and then hold onto each other like some giant pink sphere of pain, and the Jan would just carry them the whole way. We even thought of maybe just driving the T-Mobile team bus onto my back and the Jan could just carry that, but when we tried it, little Matty Kessler started crying and said he was being scared and then he wouldn't get in the bus, and I'm like, Bro! Get in the fucking bus! I am, like, already having the bus on my back! You better get freaking in there, crap face! But he wouldn't.

Sheep. The Jan is surrounded by sheep.

On the good news, the Jan is thinking he going to be starting updating regularly in the run-up to the Tour. The Jan is thinking of doing a daily update for the Tour, even, and like putting fancy computer internets graphics and stuff on his page. The Jan is being a little surprised at the many thousands of daily hits he is getting, and he is even breaking the top 100 blogs of the MySpace sometimes, which is meaning that the fans of the Jan are probably mostly a bunch of 40 year-old pederasts and maybe only 17 people who actually are liking to ride the bikes.

vfr700 03-26-2007 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yater
It sounds like you just don't have what it takes:cry

*in my best "the Jan" voice*......

"I am the Kaiser. I crush the souls of the weak."

I'd probably feel better about myself if I had some lame inscription on my threadless headset stem cap. :puke2

yater 03-26-2007 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vfr700
I'd probably feel better about myself if I had some lame inscription on my threadless headset stem cap. :puke2

I was kidding....but is that the best you got?

vfr700 03-26-2007 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yater
I was kidding....but is that the best you got?

I know so was I. It's pretty much the best I've got. I like the cap, I didn't mean to offend thee.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014