ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Flaco 04-19-2007 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
OK, the wheel retensioning seems to be holding up. And it seems to ride a little nicer as well, go figure.

Anyway, next thing to consider; the new mountain bike came with platform pedals. I am not a fan of such. I like my toe clips, but is there any reason to go clipless other than maybe it's easier to get in and out of? I keep my toe clips cinched down pretty tight, I can't imagine a clipless setup is all that more efficient. And skiing has already given me a footwear collection that would make Imelda Marcus jealous, I don't need any more help.

As yater said, everyone has their preferrence. Most enthusiasts do not run clips and straps.

I like speedplay x system (or whatever they're calling it now, the ones that look like lollypops) on the road and time off road. If I didn't have 3 pairs of time pedals on various bikes allowing me to run one pairs of shoes I'd probably be on shimano because their pedals are adjustable (as yater said). This is not an issue w/ heavier guys.

I recently got a pair of time's 'alum' low end atb pedals on ebay for $50. Remember that you must also buy $40 cleats in many cases (plus shoes if you don't got 'em)

Another point...when I first switched to clipless I used one pair of atb pedals and one pairs of shoes for both road and mountain. Another complete setup is $$$$$ and a pedal wrench is cheap. Remember that the non drive side threads backwards (I think I have this right, someone check me).

Flaco

yater 04-19-2007 06:34 PM

Yep....pedals tighten forward. I also forgot to mention that shimano pedals are adjustable. The release tension can be adjusted so they're easy to get out of (good for nOObs). Shimanos also come with cleats

Oznerol 04-20-2007 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaco
Another point...when I first switched to clipless I used one pair of atb pedals and one pairs of shoes for both road and mountain. Another complete setup is $$$$$ and a pedal wrench is cheap.

If you go this route, also remember to grease each pedal's threads before screwing them into the cranks. I didn't know to do this when I first swapped the stock SPDs for eggbeaters on one of my bikes; After just a few months of riding like that, it took a 5' breaker bar and a lot of sweating and cursing to get one of the pedals back off.

I've been really happy with my Crank Bros. setups; For the bike that only gets ridden around town, I use the eggbeaters. I also had a pair of them on my "long distance" bike, but they were producing hotspots on my feet on longer rides, so I got a cheap pair of the "Smarty" pedals from Nashbar. These have a small 'platform' surrounding the cleat retention mechanism, which spreads the load and seems to have fixed the numbness issue.

In other news, I'm almost finished building my first set of handbuilt wheels -- I've been building a rear as part of a class on wheelbuilding that I'm taking, and also building a front wheel on my own as "homework". It's a fun process, and really satisfying to start out with a rim, a hub, and a pile of of loose spokes and nipples, and end up with this intricately-laced, taut structure. If you have any mechanical skill and enjoy doing your own wrenching, I highly recommend it.

Zodiac 04-20-2007 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody
I I use the eggbeaters. I also had a pair of them on my "long distance" bike, but they were producing hotspots on my feet on longer rides, so I got a cheap pair of the "Smarty" pedals from Nashbar. These have a small 'platform' surrounding the cleat retention mechanism, which spreads the load and seems to have fixed the numbness issue.

I'll second that, my eggbeaters were giving me major numbness on long or fast rides, just not enough platform coverage, strange considering you would think the shoe itself is platform enough but it wasn't.

I love my Look Kleo classics for road use.

Flaco 04-20-2007 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yater
Yep....pedals tighten forward. I also forgot to mention that shimano pedals are adjustable. The release tension can be adjusted so they're easy to get out of (good for nOObs). Shimanos also come with cleats

Also, if you decide to go with one set for multiple bikes...toss a rag over your front chainring in case the wrench slips and you end up banging your wrist on the big ring.

Best way is to stand behind the bike and grip one pedal with the hand that is not holding the wrench...basically just stay away from the big ring.

f.

Askel 04-20-2007 04:40 PM

Thanks for the pedal info guys. Next bicycle n00b question- acknowledging other cyclists, what's the protocol here?

I know there are rules and such on who you can wave at and who you should snub in the motorcycle world, but it's tough to find some consistency here.

On my way home from work:

Girl in jeans on mountain bike with panniers- smiled at me.
Guy on fancy bike in spandex and jersey- totally snubbed me.
Middle aged guy on hybrid in full Team Discovery livery- seemed shocked that I acknowledged him.
Middle aged woman on touring bike and a little overdressed for the weather- a hearty "Hello!"
Guy on some form of steel framed road bike with tail rack- a wave and a nonchallant "Hey."

I realize my toe clips and non lycra long underwear under gym shorts are totally uncool, but I wish to avoid any further faux paus. Help me out here guys. :D

knary 04-20-2007 04:49 PM

Quote:

I realize my toe clips and non lycra long underwear under gym shorts are totally uncool, but I wish to avoid any further faux paus. Help me out here guys. :D

post pics

:lurk

Farnsrocket 04-20-2007 04:56 PM

Thanks for starting this thread Perry!

Well, I was pedaling my old school Trek that a friend gave to me a few years ago. Got the Aero bars off a fellow ADV rider this Winter. This was my Winter exercise on it's old school trainer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s/IMG_8237.jpg

Finally busted out my old school Stumpjumper today. Took it out through downtown Columbus. I was planning on getting a Judy fork, upgrade to some V brakes and maybe even get some new rims, but after today I said screw it, this baby does more than what I need it for and I am just gonna pedal the shit out of it this summer!!! :clap

P.S. old school rocks!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s/IMG_8236.jpg

Askel 04-20-2007 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knary
post pics

:lurk

Sort of like this:

http://www.feep.org/gallery/albums/l..._044.sized.jpg

Just replace the twinkie with a helmet and the wine glass with a water bottle. :lol3

yooperbikemike 04-20-2007 05:53 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the pedal info guys. Next bicycle n00b question- acknowledging other cyclists, what's the protocol here?

I know there are rules and such on who you can wave at and who you should snub in the motorcycle world, but it's tough to find some consistency here.

On my way home from work:

Girl in jeans on mountain bike with panniers- smiled at me.
Guy on fancy bike in spandex and jersey- totally snubbed me.
Middle aged guy on hybrid in full Team Discovery livery- seemed shocked that I acknowledged him.
Middle aged woman on touring bike and a little overdressed for the weather- a hearty "Hello!"
Guy on some form of steel framed road bike with tail rack- a wave and a nonchallant "Hey."

Simple. Smile and wave at the women and ignore the men.

Canukwaco 04-20-2007 08:22 PM

If you guys ever make it down through Central Texas....

Bring your mountain bike and try these trails!!!!!!! They have OWNED me for years now!

http://www.teamwbc.com/Maps/CameronParkMapSmall.jpg

yater 04-20-2007 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canukwaco
Bring your mountain bike and try these trails!!!!!!! They have OWNED me for years now!

http://www.teamwbc.com/Maps/CameronParkMapSmall.jpg

I rode there this afternoon. The tmbra race is at cameron park on sunday. You should come out.

Canukwaco 04-20-2007 08:31 PM

I live off Lindsey Hollow. (right behind Miss Nellies Pretty Place. We haven't missed it the 7 years we have been here!!!!

You ever play disc golf there? We play 1-9 ALOT!

yater 04-20-2007 08:35 PM

I live in Tyler so it's a 2 hour drive for me...I've never played disc golf out there but it looks like the perfect place for it. Are you racing sunday? What class? I'll be in 19-29 sport (mens)

Ken 04-20-2007 09:10 PM

http://www.samford.edu/groups/oldhoward100/

I'm doing 70 in the am...

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:29 AM.