ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

yooperbikemike 04-20-2007 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
Thanks for the pedal info guys. Next bicycle n00b question- acknowledging other cyclists, what's the protocol here?

I know there are rules and such on who you can wave at and who you should snub in the motorcycle world, but it's tough to find some consistency here.

On my way home from work:

Girl in jeans on mountain bike with panniers- smiled at me.
Guy on fancy bike in spandex and jersey- totally snubbed me.
Middle aged guy on hybrid in full Team Discovery livery- seemed shocked that I acknowledged him.
Middle aged woman on touring bike and a little overdressed for the weather- a hearty "Hello!"
Guy on some form of steel framed road bike with tail rack- a wave and a nonchallant "Hey."

I realize my toe clips and non lycra long underwear under gym shorts are totally uncool, but I wish to avoid any further faux paus. Help me out here guys. :D

Simple. Smile and wave at the women and ignore the men.

Canukwaco 04-20-2007 07:22 PM

If you guys ever make it down through Central Texas....
 
Bring your mountain bike and try these trails!!!!!!! They have OWNED me for years now!

http://www.teamwbc.com/Maps/CameronParkMapSmall.jpg

yater 04-20-2007 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canukwaco
Bring your mountain bike and try these trails!!!!!!! They have OWNED me for years now!

http://www.teamwbc.com/Maps/CameronParkMapSmall.jpg

I rode there this afternoon. The tmbra race is at cameron park on sunday. You should come out.

Canukwaco 04-20-2007 07:31 PM

I live off Lindsey Hollow. (right behind Miss Nellies Pretty Place. We haven't missed it the 7 years we have been here!!!!


You ever play disc golf there? We play 1-9 ALOT!

yater 04-20-2007 07:35 PM

I live in Tyler so it's a 2 hour drive for me...I've never played disc golf out there but it looks like the perfect place for it. Are you racing sunday? What class? I'll be in 19-29 sport (mens)

Ken 04-20-2007 08:10 PM

http://www.samford.edu/groups/oldhoward100/

I'm doing 70 in the am...

Zodiac 04-20-2007 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farnsrocket
Thanks for starting this thread Perry!

Well, I was pedaling my old school Trek that a friend gave to me a few years ago. Got the Aero bars off a fellow ADV rider this Winter. This was my Winter exercise on it's old school trainer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s/IMG_8237.jpg

Finally busted out my old school Stumpjumper today. Took it out through downtown Columbus. I was planning on getting a Judy fork, upgrade to some V brakes and maybe even get some new rims, but after today I said screw it, this baby does more than what I need it for and I am just gonna pedal the shit out of it this summer!!! :clap

P.S. old school rocks!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...s/IMG_8236.jpg



Nice Farnsy:thumb Those rigs are classic!

Canukwaco 04-20-2007 08:25 PM

Quote:

I live in Tyler so it's a 2 hour drive for me...I've never played disc golf out there but it looks like the perfect place for it. Are you racing sunday? What class? I'll be in 19-29 sport (mens)
Not this year. (I have competed 4 years but at least have been there for the weekend!) I haven't had time to train like I did in the past. My wife just had our 3rd child 5 months ago. I will be there to watch though! Watch for Root Canal, it's a little tougher than it looks!

yater 04-20-2007 09:23 PM

That "erect" climb got me today (after vortex). That course is the toughest on the tmbra schedule. I've been sick for the past 10 days so I'm not expecting much....but I think I'll manage a top 10 considering all the climbing out there (I'm 5'7" 132 with decent climbing legs)

Zodiac 04-21-2007 12:53 PM

Just did 35miles fixed, beautiful out. So 6 million other people were out there too.

I'm finding the 17 cog is much easier in a long ride than the 19, even in the uphills. Strange but pushing hard seems easier than spinning high RPMs, no matter how you slice it on the fixed.

I'm turning 39 in May, and I'm considering possibly trying some racing in a yr in the over 40 class. I don't know shit about racing or getting into it, but I figure by next yr if I keep it up I'll be ready to do my first road race (amateur beginner/whatever) of course..:D

Am I crazy?

gambrinus 04-21-2007 01:20 PM

Perry, You're not crazy to do a race, just don't expect there to be a lack of 40+yr old guys who are FAST... I mean REALLY fast. When I was in LA there was a guy who was nearly 70 and he could make some of the young punks nearly puke on rides.. he would push and push until they cried uncle.

I rode 25 yesterday on the Waterford with NO BABY TRAILER!!!! woooo hoooo. Did a sloooooooow 10 or so today with the trailer behind the pig (fuji touring). Time to start working on this Guinness gut.


RW

knary 04-21-2007 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
Just did 35miles fixed, beautiful out. So 6 million other people were out there too.

I'm finding the 17 cog is much easier in a long ride than the 19, even in the uphills. Strange but pushing hard seems easier than spinning high RPMs, no matter how you slice it on the fixed.

I'm turning 39 in May, and I'm considering possibly trying some racing in a yr in the over 40 class. I don't know shit about racing or getting into it, but I figure by next yr if I keep it up I'll be ready to do my first road race (amateur beginner/whatever) of course..:D

Am I crazy?

No
Do it.


I was thinking of you the other day while I was riding up our west hills. I know the chances of it happening are slim, but you should come out for a visit once we've got the second bedroom set up. I've got a few rides I think you'd love. :nod

Zodiac 04-21-2007 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gambrinus
Perry, You're not crazy to do a race, just don't expect there to be a lack of 40+yr old guys who are FAST... I mean REALLY fast. When I was in LA there was a guy who was nearly 70 and he could make some of the young punks nearly puke on rides.. he would push and push until they cried uncle.

I rode 25 yesterday on the Waterford with NO BABY TRAILER!!!! woooo hoooo. Did a sloooooooow 10 or so today with the trailer behind the pig (fuji touring). Time to start working on this Guinness gut.


RW

Oh I know, my 60 something Dad can bury me on a bike, and half his bike club too.

Was working on my Guinness gut as well today:evil

Zodiac 04-21-2007 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knary
No
Do it.


I was thinking of you the other day while I was riding up our west hills. I know the chances of it happening are slim, but you should come out for a visit once we've got the second bedroom set up. I've got a few rides I think you'd love. :nod


I would love to Scott, thanks! I have a full week off in September, or maybe I'l just quit and ride the GS cross country around that time.

Is it tough to fly w a bicycle?:D

knary 04-21-2007 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
I would love to Scott, thanks! I have a full week off in September, or maybe I'l just quit and ride the GS cross country around that time.

Is it tough to fly w a bicycle?:D

:D

Nope.
It just takes a special box. You take the bike apart (wheels, pedals, handlebar) and package it up.

How's the job? Has it slowed down at all?


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015