ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Zodiac 05-13-2007 05:20 PM

So I'm heading off for a night ride through Central Park later, best time to be there, around 9ish. You're smack in the middle of it all, dodging horse & carriages, the few runners, some good lighted skyline when you're riding past the reservoir.

Very few cyclists there at that time, so I'll make my own pace, break down some of this heavy pasta dinner I just ate (proscuttio in red sauce), and go to work on Monday morning knowing I pushed myself good this wknd.

dlew 05-13-2007 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
So I'm heading off for a night ride through Central Park later, best time to be there, around 9ish. You're smack in the middle of it all, dodging horse & carriages, the few runners, some good lighted skyline when you're riding past the reservoir.

Very few cyclists there at that time, so I'll make my own pace, break down some of this heavy pasta dinner I just ate (proscuttio in red sauce), and go to work on Monday morning knowing I pushed myself good this wknd.

The park is really is great at night and a totally different experience, especially not having to dodge rollerbladers and strollers.

I didn't get a chance to ask you how it was doing the Five Boro tour on the fixie. How did it go? Many other fixies? See many crashes?

Zodiac 05-13-2007 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlew
The park is really is great at night and a totally different experience, especially not having to dodge rollerbladers and strollers.

I didn't get a chance to ask you how it was doing the Five Boro tour on the fixie. How did it go? Many other fixies? See many crashes?

Well after the first lap tonight the trucks - pulled in uptown area to re pave it, had to be a dozen loads of asphalt, etc, ride cut short.

5 Boros was kinda funny. Way too slow, too many hold ups/stops and it was 46 degrees in the morning, 2 hours at the start. Too many people (42k). Mileage was super easy, don't think I ever broke a sweat.

Not too many fixies really, very few. Lotsa over kitted racer types, fat guys on 5k roadies all worked up going 10 mph behind some dad from Staten Island on a huffy with a kid in the rear basket seat.....:lol3

One really sick crash on the Pulaski bridge, I'll tell you about it at Matchless if you feel like coming out tomorrow night:deal

knary 05-13-2007 09:45 PM

Speedplay Frogs? any opinions?

Gummee! 05-13-2007 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knary
Speedplay Frogs? any opinions?

Grind off the inner stop and you've got an updated version of the Magnums I know and love.

:thumb

It'll feel a bit on the funky side for about 2 weeks, then yer feet/legs find a 'natural spot' and you stop noticing em. Least that's what happened to me. YMMV :dunno Some people can't get over the loosey goosey feeling. The only reason I stopped riding em is I was also racing on clips and straps at the track and just didn't wanna deal with two kinds of pedal feels. Right after I bought some SPD-Rs, Speedplay comes out with the Zero. :bluduh Timing's everything :baldy

I still have a pair of Magnums in my bin o' parts somewhere. Getting cleats for em is gonna be a trick!

HTH

M

Gummee! 05-14-2007 10:10 AM

Craigslist is wonderful...

Found a couple here locally that wants to switch their 1A towers for my Q-Towers. :clap

That means no buying and/or selling on Fleabay!

:rayof

M

Zodiac 05-14-2007 01:10 PM

Bag Balm........?

Or any other suggestions for my crotch area besides good shorts?

YakSpout 05-14-2007 01:37 PM

Quote:

Bag Balm........?

Or any other suggestions for my crotch area besides good shorts?

Chamois Butt'r is good stuff. I did 30 miles in my old, crappy shorts and ended up with some pretty serious chafing about 3 days before the 49mi City of Angels ride. I wore my newer shorts and used a little Butt'r before the ride and didn't have any problems during the ride.

Zodiac 05-14-2007 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakSpout
Chamois Butt'r is good stuff. I did 30 miles in my old, crappy shorts and ended up with some pretty serious chafing about 3 days before the 49mi City of Angels ride. I wore my newer shorts and used a little Butt'r before the ride and didn't have any problems during the ride.

Where would I get it?

(thanks)

YakSpout 05-14-2007 01:43 PM

Quote:

Where would I get it?

(thanks)

They had it at my LBS, but I'm sure it's sold online, too.

Yup, Google turns up a BUNCH of shops selling it online:

http://www.pacelineproducts.com/products/chamois.html
http://www.athletegift.com/products/chamoisbuttr.htm
http://www.bicycletires.com/tek9.asp...cific=jsfrqpq0

I haven't seen/heard of any downsides to using this stuff, but I do recommend washing it out of your shorts asap.

Gummee! 05-14-2007 02:04 PM

Bag Balm works.
Udder Balm Works
Nivea Moisturizing Cream works
Assos makes a kick ass chamois cream, but its spendy.

etc.

Can't really go too wrong 'cause all the stuff's doing is preventing chafing.

M

patch29 05-14-2007 02:12 PM

Quote:

Where would I get it?

(thanks)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Udder Balm

I have bought it at Ace Hardware.

Queen 05-15-2007 05:21 AM

Got my new seat yesterday, it looks like it's just one allen bolt to swap it out...could it really be that simple?? :clap

Dranrab Luap 05-15-2007 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queen
Got my new seat yesterday, it looks like it's just one allen bolt to swap it out...could it really be that simple?? :clap

It's that simple. In fact most bicycle wrenching is easy. I can't build Legos, but I can wrench a bicycle!!!:lol3

RobZim 05-15-2007 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
It's that simple. In fact most bicycle wrenching is easy. I can't build Legos, but I can wrench a bicycle!!!:lol3

A real man can true his own wheels.....

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:15 PM.