ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Gummee! 07-25-2007 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackMule
You bastids have had be googling 'cross stuff all evening. :bluduh (this is gonna get 'spensive)

Buy a frame and stick leftover parts on it. The only thing you may need to buy are cantis and you can get them from the backroom of an LBS for cheep. LX/XT work really well and there *should* be sets laying around.

The only other thing that is funky is the bolt circle on the cranks. Usually we run 110mm (ie compact) cranks. I'm racing on 34/46 and riding a 34/50 combo during the summer.

As for the rest, I'd recommend running yer brakes MC style. Dismounts are indeed easier with some control over yer speed.

I built a Crosshairs 853 f/f up with full XTR for less than $1k.

I'd HIGHLY recommend a cross bike to about anyone looking at road bikes for the first time. Same basic position, but LOTS more versatile.

M

PackMule 07-25-2007 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
The only other thing that is funky is the bolt circle on the cranks. Usually we run 110mm (ie compact) cranks. I'm racing on 34/46 and riding a 34/50 combo during the summer.

M

I'd probably be looking to put a triple on it. It'd see a lot of duty pulling the kiddo trailer. I put a compact on my old road bike when I got the trailer (forget what the small chainring is, tho) and it's not low enough for "real" hills. I mean, I can get out of the saddle and grind it out, but it throws her all around in back if she's sleeping (if she's awake, she kind of gets a kick out of the bucking bronco routine).

The bike's a '91 with a 7 speed rear and downtube shifters, so I don't think I'm interested in putting any more $$ into it (unless someone here has a compatible triple crank and dérailleur set they'd like to offload cheap) :deal

So the cross would be my all-rounder for the foreseeable future.

I dunno, maybe I should look into a triple set for the old iron. :dunno

BubbaZanetti 07-25-2007 02:10 PM

can i get a condensed version of this, i don't want to read it all

Gummee! 07-25-2007 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti

:nono Just wade in on the deep end!

I haven't read all of it either. :nah

M

PackMule 07-25-2007 02:20 PM

Admittedly, I just jumped in, too.

Browsing back from the beginning, perhaps prophetically, here's the 4th reply:

Quote:

Originally Posted by OMI1150GS
Get a cyclocross bike.

:lol3

Maybe there really is nothing new under the sun... :norton :D

Gummee! 07-25-2007 02:22 PM

Quote:

I'd probably be looking to put a triple on it. It'd see a lot of duty pulling the kiddo trailer. I put a compact on my old road bike when I got the trailer (forget what the small chainring is, tho) and it's not low enough for "real" hills. I mean, I can get out of the saddle and grind it out, but it throws her all around in back if she's sleeping (if she's awake, she kind of gets a kick out of the bucking bronco routine).

The bike's a '91 with a 7 speed rear and downtube shifters, so I don't think I'm interested in putting any more $$ into it (unless someone here has a compatible triple crank and dérailleur set they'd like to offload cheap) :deal

Depending on whatcher doin, mountain components from just a few (like 15-20!) years ago are a good alternative. Old XT/XTR with the 110mm bolt pattern are still available on ebay. You can run some decent sized chainrings on em (like up to a 54t ring! :eek1) so yer not gonna lose the gear inches. ALTERNATIVELY you can say 'screw it' and get a used cross bike. One of the guys at PBS here is trying to sell his 58cm AL Fuji cross bike with a mix of parts for $850.

Sizing a cross bike is similar to sizing a road bike. TT and ST angle are the two most important #s to pay attention to. If yer racing, you may want about a cm higher and shorter stem than on yer road bike. If yer not, run it the same. :nod

I use my Crosshairs for everything. I'm :tb over a few frames, but I'd rather build Stick Me a real road bike with my D/A parts before I use them parts for a new road bike for me. 'Course, she may not get that if I build a mtn bike for me outta the parts off the Crosshairs. :razor

M

knary 07-25-2007 02:26 PM

Quote:

Buy a bike that fits you.
Ride it.
The rest is mostly bullshit - old school, new school, build your own, buy it built, triples vs. doubles, etc.

BubbaZanetti 07-25-2007 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
:nono Just wade in on the deep end!

I haven't read all of it either. :nah

M

heh, you take me too seriously

but for real, non fixed gear bikes are for pussies

and fixed gear bikes are for hipster jerkoffs:lol3

knary 07-25-2007 02:46 PM

Quote:

heh, you take me too seriously

but for real, non fixed gear bikes are for pussies

and fixed gear bikes are for hipster jerkoffs:lol3

how might one become a pussy jerkoff? or a jerkoff pussy? :scratch

skwidd 07-25-2007 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knary
how might one become a pussy jerkoff? or a jerkoff pussy? :scratch

RuPaul?:lol3

GnarlyKarle 07-25-2007 04:53 PM

Wow!

It gets better.... NOT!
http://www.velonews.com/tour2007/det...s/12944.0.html

-dk

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264
I have to say that my first thought when I heard he won the TT, was that he sure seemed to bounce back nicely :cry

Do these people think they can get away with it ? Well I guess they do or they wouldn't do it.

Sad.

Gummee! 07-25-2007 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ici_moto

Wrong thread...

Go here

M

Omi 07-25-2007 05:53 PM

Quote:

Admittedly, I just jumped in, too.

Browsing back from the beginning, perhaps prophetically, here's the 4th reply:

:lol3

Maybe there really is nothing new under the sun... :norton :D

I know what I'm talking about. :D However, that was before my hipster jerkoff ass :patch got a fixey.

pierce 07-25-2007 06:30 PM

Amgen Tour of California 2008 Cities announced...

http://www.amgentourofcalifornia.com...announced.html
  • Prologue: Sunday, Feb. 17 - Palo Alto
  • Stage 1: Monday, Feb. 18 - Sausalito to Santa Rosa
  • Stage 2: Tuesday, Feb. 19 - Santa Rosa to Sacramento
  • Stage 3: Wednesday, Feb. 20 - Modesto to San Jose
  • Stage 4: Thursday, Feb. 21 - Seaside to San Luis Obispo
  • Stage 5: Friday, Feb. 22 - Solvang time trial
  • Stage 6: Saturday, Feb. 23 - Santa Barbara to Santa Clarita
  • Stage 7: Sunday, Feb. 24 - Santa Clarita to Pasadena road race, concluding with a circuit race in Pasadena

Mercury264 07-25-2007 06:39 PM

Quote:

Once you go triple baby....

Oh shit, wrong sort of bike :D

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:30 AM.