ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Mercury264 07-26-2007 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackMule
:D :nod

She's a tough kid. And none of those sissy girlie style pushups like Mercury does. :nono

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...h/IMG_0797.jpg

:gdog :raabia

:lol3

She really is a cutie.

zippy 07-26-2007 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knary

I've decided a new seat is definitely in order. :bluduh

Have a selle san marco Regal - very comfortable

Went with a selle italia gel flow slk - again very very comfortable.

* Selle Italia’s special cutout begins at the back of the saddle, allowing the right and left sides to move independently from each other - this mimics the natural pedaling motion while allowing more flex on the saddle and around the sit bones
* Silicone gel inserts with differentiated thickness are strategically placed around the anatomical cut out to improve comfort and relieve pressure in the frontal soft tissue area
* Perfect Fit padding adheres to your body for additional support
* 10% carbon composite shell with several elastomers absorbs and eliminates shock from the road or trail
* Breathable, full-grain leather cover
* Vanox rails for lightweight strength

elchulopadre 07-26-2007 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy
Have a selle san marco Royal - very comfortable

Went with a selle italia gel flow slk - again very very comfortable.

* Selle Italia’s special cutout begins at the back of the saddle, allowing the right and left sides to move independently from each other - this mimics the natural pedaling motion while allowing more flex on the saddle and around the sit bones
* Silicone gel inserts with differentiated thickness are strategically placed around the anatomical cut out to improve comfort and relieve pressure in the frontal soft tissue area
* Perfect Fit padding adheres to your body for additional support
* 10% carbon composite shell with several elastomers absorbs and eliminates shock from the road or trail
* Breathable, full-grain leather cover
* Vanox rails for lightweight strength

I bought a Forté Pro SLX saddle about three weeks after I got the bike. Immediate improvement over the stock seat, and no more BTS (burning taint syndrome) for me. Got it on sale (or is it on perma-sale? I don't think I've EVER seen it at msrp) so it wasn't too bad price-wise, and it's a fairly light saddle, too.

zippy 07-26-2007 07:49 AM

seat prices

I remember paying in the $120 - $150 range for the selle san marco regal about 16 years ago. They are cheaper today at under $100 . I bought it because Greg Lemond rode one. Very comfortable , mine is showing wear finally.

PackMule 07-26-2007 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264

She really is a cutie.

I happen to agree with you. :lol3

Went for a ride with her this morning before the heat of the day really cranked up. Took a couple shots of her and the trailer that I'll upload later. :thumb

elchulopadre 07-26-2007 10:29 AM

So yesterday I spent a good deal of time cleaning my bike. Not just the usual chain wipe/lube accompanied by a half-assed swipe with a rag of the rest of the bike, but a thorough, painstaking scrub-down. Took off the bottle cages/lights/sensors so I could really get in there, too. Even dedicated a stray sock exclusively to the cleaning of the cassette.

Or so I thought - this morning I saw WAY too many spots I missed. :lol3

In any case, the 42 grams of schmutz that I removed from my bike last night had a significant effect on this morning's ride, as I posted my best-ever Tour de Key Biscayne, a 14-mile loop that I usually run in the mornings (bolting on detours if I have time). Moving average: 21.7 mph - cruising mostly in the 23-25 mph range. w00t!

In other news, Mr. UPS is coming soon :augie

Gummee! 07-26-2007 10:31 AM

To get honest to goodness made in Europe bikes, you gotta spend $$. They're still made there, you just need to look.

Most of the mid-level or lower bikes are either made in Taiwan or now China. Mass production = lower prices = more people riding = better. Mostly

M

Mik 07-26-2007 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OMI1150GS
I just got back from a great ride. My usual group "The Horribles" were out racing, so my friend Gabe told me about another ride. This dude Fryburger was having one of his "Ride for Satan" rides. Fryburger (His real name) is a special person. He is a big Alaskin stoner, with crazy hair, and playes in a satanic death metal band. Anyway...Nobody told me the ride was down the street from my house. I rode 10 miles out of the way to another location. Still got to the ride on time despite my 20 mile error. 15 miles and 3 safty breaks later, we arrived at the Dead Babie's pad. It was a sweet setup. A nice little shop that they use to weld up their tall bikes they race drunk downhill. They even had a garage full of motorcycles. I saw a R90/6 in there. Me and my 20 new friends sat on the lawn and watched Rambo projected onto the concrete wall out back. After the movie, and many, many beers, we rode the 10 miles home. Oh, but not before stopping at 2 bakeries, and a school to go dumpster diving.(I diden't partake. I don't eat out of the trash.) I love Seattle!

My kinda weeknight! :freaky

fullmonte 07-26-2007 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
To get honest to goodness made in Europe bikes, you gotta spend $$. They're still made there, you just need to look.

Most of the mid-level or lower bikes are either made in Taiwan or now China. Mass production = lower prices = more people riding = better. Mostly

M

The Litespeed factory is 5 miles from my house. Unfortunately, I've been told its not open to the public for tours. I know a TVA engineer who was given a tour and he was impressed.

Omi 07-26-2007 11:57 AM

[quote=krampus]Re-read my post...quote]
Sorry, I was a little PUI last night.

RobZim 07-26-2007 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knary

I've decided a new seat is definitely in order. :bluduh

http://www.cyclesportandfitness.com/images/RX-921a2.jpg

It's a Serfas RX and I experience no discomfort on a century ride. It's the most comfortable seat I've ever ridden and no numbness. I got mine out of the sale bin at the LBS for $9.

http://www.cyclesportandfitness.com/bike_seats.htm

Now, if I could just work out some of the foot and hand pain and numbness I could ride forever. I'm going to invest in some gel gloves and try some Spenco inserts for the bike shoes. Someone actually recommended sandals but I'm a little hesitant. My feet get extremely hot. (Might have something to do with the ambient temp.)

zippy 07-26-2007 03:54 PM

serfas rx good stuff as well. Have one of those on my mountain bike.

RLCanon 07-26-2007 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody
+1

Lots of the randonneur types swear by them, so I decided to give one a try. It took a while for it to break in (and for me to adjust to it), but saddle pain is basically a non-issue for me, now. I tried going back to the stock saddle at one point, and was in more discomfort after 30 miles than I would be after 100, on the Brooks.

The Brooks weighs a ton, though, and the "light" Ti versions are really pricey.

Brooks all the way. I had a Ideale back in the day (French Brooks basically), went plastic when they became the rage, struggled to find a comfortable saddle for years, went back to Brooks and haven't looked back. I have three of the damn things in case they stop making them!

Queen 07-26-2007 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OMI1150GS
I just got back from a great ride. My usual group "The Horribles" were out racing, so my friend Gabe told me about another ride. This dude Fryburger was having one of his "Ride for Satan" rides. Fryburger (His real name) is a special person. He is a big Alaskin stoner, with crazy hair, and playes in a satanic death metal band. Anyway...Nobody told me the ride was down the street from my house. I rode 10 miles out of the way to another location. Still got to the ride on time despite my 20 mile error. 15 miles and 3 safty breaks later, we arrived at the Dead Babie's pad. It was a sweet setup. A nice little shop that they use to weld up their tall bikes they race drunk downhill. They even had a garage full of motorcycles. I saw a R90/6 in there. Me and my 20 new friends sat on the lawn and watched Rambo projected onto the concrete wall out back. After the movie, and many, many beers, we rode the 10 miles home. Oh, but not before stopping at 2 bakeries, and a school to go dumpster diving.(I diden't partake. I don't eat out of the trash.) I love Seattle!

Omar, your life sounds like a blast!! :clap

pierce 07-26-2007 04:30 PM

AFAIK, all Santa Cruz Mtn Bike frames are still made here in Santa Cruz. Sadly, many other local makers such as Felt (high end triathlon bikes) have gone to overseas(china) frame fabrication.

The thing is, 'made in china' can mean ANYthing now from pure junk to quite high quality stuff. Generic noname stuff from random chinese factories is likely crap, but companies that build their own factories in China and manage them carefully tend to get very high quality stuff for good prices (while putting their formerly American manufacturing work force out of a job, sigh)

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:12 PM.