ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

YakSpout 07-31-2007 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soboy
I'm not in the same league as the road bikers here, but I have been riding for fun since I was a kid (I'm 48). I have a 1987 Diamondback Ascent EX that I bought new, I have taken care of this bike and it is in excellent condition. An old fashioned, no suspension mountain bike with good components. My girlfriend has an '06 Giant hybrid, can't remember which model but it's a nice bike for riding bike paths.

I had achilles tendon surgery in March and am recovering nicely. We decided to ride the Silver Comet Trail on Sunday, my first ride on the bike since the surgery. It went well - we did a little over 22 miles and it was all fun until about the 18.5 mile mark, that's when I had a bit of trouble maintaining speed on the uphill grades. Total riding time was exactly 2 hours. A fun morning.

:D I have a yellow Ascent EX hanging in my parents' garage. Same year, I think.

volbeat22 07-31-2007 11:56 AM

I raced in my first mountian bike race last weekend and finished 23rd out of 52 in the 35+ Beginner Class.

Now I'm generally a road bike guy, but now I am itching to buy a new mountain bike.

I am thinking about the Yeti AS-R or the Titus Racer-X. I currently have a 2001 Schwinn Rocket 88.

Does anyone have an opinion or experience with these bikes? If I bought either it would be without any demo riding, as there aren't any Yeti/Titus dealers near me in VA.

Askel 07-31-2007 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyD
Does anyone have an opinion or experience with these bikes? If I bought either it would be without any demo riding, as there aren't any Yeti/Titus dealers near me in VA.

Not familiar with either bike, but I'd *never* buy a mountain bike without test riding it first. There's just way, way too much variation in frames given the same size for me to even consider it.

knary 07-31-2007 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
Not familiar with either bike, but I'd *never* buy a mountain bike without test riding it first. There's just way, way too much variation in frames given the same size for me to even consider it.

Or any bike - road, mountain, motorcycle, whatever. Gotta ride it first. :nod

volbeat22 07-31-2007 12:33 PM

I once bought a Ducati 1994 888 sight unseen from a collector. It was mint and a fun ride.

I did some fiurther research and there is a Titus dealer within an hour of me. They also have medium and large Racer X bikes in stock. Now if I can find a Yeti dealer in the area I might be able to solve the demo ride problem.

I did buy my current road frame without ever riding it. 2007 BMC Cross BIke - it was my winter build project and turned out to be an awsome bike. I'll post some pics later.

It all depends on how much risk you are willing to take. I've not been burned yet!

Omi 07-31-2007 12:52 PM

My brother bought a 1918? Harley Davidson bicycle from an old lady who had it in her barn. He handed her $300 sight unseen, and she said that was too much. He told her to keep the change. Harley only made 300 or so of that model.

Gummee! 07-31-2007 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyD
I once bought a Ducati 1994 888 sight unseen from a collector. It was mint and a fun ride.

I did some fiurther research and there is a Titus dealer within an hour of me. They also have medium and large Racer X bikes in stock. Now if I can find a Yeti dealer in the area I might be able to solve the demo ride problem.

I did buy my current road frame without ever riding it. 2007 BMC Cross BIke - it was my winter build project and turned out to be an awsome bike. I'll post some pics later.

It all depends on how much risk you are willing to take. I've not been burned yet!

Tell y'all the truth... I've bought MOST of my bikes sans test rides. When yer buying on the net, its a little tough... :evil

The only bike I haven't particularly liked the ride of was the Bontrager Road Lite that I got. Dead feeling for some reason. :dunno For the road, as long as you know the right angles and lengths, you can get away with it. Mtn? I have gotten lucky there too, but with the new kinds of suspension, I'd hafta do some research online afore I pulled the trigger.

I'm fully planning on buying my next few bikes without test riding em. :nod Like I said: when yer buying online/ebay/craigslist and only getting frames, its tough!

Next frame: Road frame for Stick Me. After that? Mtn frame for me.

M

Pele 08-01-2007 07:45 AM

After riding for 7 years on a moutain bike and 1 year on a road bike I decided to join spandex boys again.

My previous road bike was about 8 years old and was custom made with a steel frame. I got it from a professional racers and it was fantastic.

My questions:
  1. Size - I am 6'2" - 34" inseam. According to various size charts 60" frame should fit me well. When I went to a local store and tried different bikes they wanted to sell 58" (maybe becuase it was 2006 leftover...)
  2. Bike...I tried LeMond Versaille, Specialized Tarmac Pro Double, and Trek 1000, and 1500. LeMond was the most fun.

I look around the "internets" along with this thread and I found this

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...lsl_06_big.jpg
Looks like a decent bike for $1100.

I'd like to know what other bikes I should look at (my price range is about $1500).

Thanks

Askel 08-01-2007 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pele
A
I look around the "internets" along with this thread and I found this

-snip-

Looks like a decent bike for $1100.

I'd like to know what other bikes I should look at (my price range is about $1500).

Thanks

I dunno, $1100? My Trek 1500 was $930, sure it had a few bits of 105 in there with the Ultegra, but add in the support of an LBS, and the Bikes Direct bike isn't really that impressive of a deal.

However, I've never seen anybody unhappy with a bikes direct bike. But then again, it's always n00bs buying them, never anybody with any road experience.

Pele 08-01-2007 08:19 AM

Quote:

I dunno, $1100? My Trek 1500 was $930

Trek 1500 is a very good bike but after a test ride on 2006 LeMond Verssaile I found that it is much stable and fun to ride than the 1500.

I really don't care what brand is the bike as long as it feels right.

Most people will say "just go and try and get the one that fits best". However, before I try I would like to what should I try.

zippy 08-01-2007 08:21 AM

Quote:

But then again, it's always n00bs buying them, never anybody with any road experience.

really ? Where did you gather this information ?

Pele - take a look at you local craigslist as well

Askel 08-01-2007 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy
really ? Where did you gather this information ?

Intarweb forums mostly. I'm not saying it's reliable information, it's just what I've seen. :D

Pele 08-01-2007 08:38 AM

Quote:

Pele - take a look at you local craigslist as well

The problem with CL is that I still need to know what bike I should look for...I can find at least two models within my price range from almost every brand that I am interested in.

zippy 08-01-2007 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pele
The problem with CL is that I still need to know what bike I should look for...I can find at least two models within my price range from almost every brand that I am interested in.

That is a very personal thing. What one person likes and thinks is the be all end all is another mans hunk o junk. How much bicycle knowledge do you have ? What in specific are you hoping to buy ? How will your ride be used ?

Pele 08-01-2007 09:00 AM

I have been riding for most of my life. After I torn my ACL I started riding more (about 20-30 miles per day).

What am I looking for...fast and comfortable bike that won't fall apart after the first year.

When it comes to bicycle knowledge I can say I am "advanced amateur". I know which parts are worth investing more money but when it comes to frames, rakes, trails etc I am in the "amateur" league.

For example I found that on Trek I felt like falling over the handlebars...while LeMond and Specialized Allez felt better they still didn't feel as good as my old steel bike which had train like stability.

Matt

Quote:

That is a very personal thing. What one person likes and thinks is the be all end all is another mans hunk o junk. How much bicycle knowledge do you have ? What in specific are you hoping to buy ? How will your ride be used ?

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:31 PM.