ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Zodiac 08-08-2007 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragoon
Road bikes? Mountain Bikes? Rides? Tips?[

I don't know why I've never contributed to this thread. I love to ride bikes. I'm not a techy geek but I do love to ride.

So what do I do?:ear :lurk

Good to see you here Goonie, Where do you expect to be doing the riding, do you see yourself in trails/Mtns, or do you feel the need for speed and tarmac?

I think you'll get more mileage and exercise from a roadbike, just seems to work out that way for me.

dragoon 08-08-2007 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knary
Sadly, due to the lack of our own special forum, everything gets dumped into this 5k+ post thread. Spill it, all of it.

:lurk

I feel like I'm being den00bed :arg ohhhh I like it

Current mt. bike = Santa Cruz Heckler
Road Bike = Trek 1000
Wife's Bikes
Mt. Bike = Specialized
Cross Bike = Scott CX

dragoon 08-08-2007 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
Good to see you here Goonie, Where do you expect to be doing the riding, do you see yourself in trails/Mtns, or do you feel the need for speed and tarmac?

I think you'll get more mileage and exercise from a roadbike, just seems to work out that way for me.

We ride a lot. Mainly mt bikes but get on the road for a change of pace once a week. I need to drop some weight off my fat ass. (as I sit here drinking a glass of milk and eating Reese's Crispy Crunch :arg)

Zodiac 08-08-2007 05:51 PM

Quote:

I feel like I'm being den00bed :arg ohhhh I like it

Current mt. bike = Santa Cruz Heckler
Road Bike = Trek 1000
Wife's Bikes
Mt. Bike = Specialized
Cross Bike = Scott CX

Doh!'''

He's a ringer.

WHy don't you give US some advice!

:lol3

Zodiac 08-08-2007 05:53 PM

Quote:

We ride a lot. Mainly mt bikes but get on the road for a change of pace once a week. I need to drop some weight off my fat ass. (as I sit here drinking a glass of milk and eating Reese's Crispy Crunch :arg)

Don't feel so bad, I just ordered buffalo wings.:cry

Gummee! 08-08-2007 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
Don't feel so bad, I just ordered buffalo wings.:cry

:razor

'Course, I can't say much, I still need to drop ~30# myself! :cry

I rode one of my little loops round the house. 25km. Little over an hour cause most of the loop is uphill and I HATE uphill. :bluduh Always have. :nod DOWNhill? Now that's another story! :ricky

I have lust for the Basso Diamante carbon frame we have at the shop:
http://www.bps-nakayama.com/e/image/basso.JPG
but sadly can't afford it. :cry Nor can I afford the Campy Record stuff that its crying out for! D/A on a Basso? Sacriledge!

M

Oznerol 08-08-2007 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobZim
Wonder if bike riding is more dangerous than motorcycle riding? Wonder if combining those two pursuits makes us all likely candidates for a premature funeral.

If bicycling is what keeps you active and fit, it's clearly a safer choice than remaining sedentary.

Oznerol 08-08-2007 06:38 PM

And now there are 4

Just got back from the bike shop with a new ride:

http://www.fisherbikes.com/images/bi...cal_silver.jpg

Gary Fisher X-Calibur

Put down a deposit last week, got the call today that it was ready for me. Gave it a quick spin around the block to verify that I was happy with the fit, and then signed on the dotted line. I'm dying to get it to the trails. I may have to "work from home" friday just so that I can take off early and go riding.

QuickMule 08-08-2007 06:49 PM

Help! I've got a creaky crank!

I get a series of creak type clicks (like the sound spokes on a freshly trued wheel can make before everything is seated in, but without the “ringing.”) that are cyclical with the crankset – nothing is hitting or rubbing, I even removed the front derailleur cage to make sure nothing was flexing under load enough to rub the chain against the cage. Eliminated the pedals as the culprit by trading them with a set off another bike; disassembled, re-torqued, and over-torqued the chain rings with no change; disassembled, checked, and re-torqued the BB assembly (it’s one of those Shimano sealed bearing cassette types where the whole assembled thing screws in from the right side and a locking/support cup screws in against it on the left) with no change. That pretty much leaves the tapered square type cotterless crank interface. If I really lean on the bolts to the point where it feels like the hex is about to strip (approximately 100 ft/lbs), the noise goes away for about two blocks then comes right back. If I then tighten it again, even if there is no perceptible movement of the bolt, the noise goes away for about two blocks and comes right back – no matter how many times I do it, it won’t stop coming back. It’s not like the cranks are still seating in or otherwise working their way loose, because after the first couple of re-tightenings, the bolts don’t perceptively turn in any further. I tried rotating the cranks to all four possible positions on the spindle with no change – not even in the clocking of the noise.

Anybody else experience this problem? What is the torque supposed to be on those bolts? Or is it something else I’ve missed?

PackMule 08-08-2007 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knary
Sadly, due to the lack of our own special forum, everything gets dumped into this 5k+ post thread. Spill it, all of it.

:lurk

:lol3 And we thought Battle Scooters created some furor... :D

PackMule 08-08-2007 09:18 PM

QuickMule, does the creak happen under all load conditions, or just heavy load?

Double check your seatpost and seat bolts -- I've been fooled by them creaking when I could have sworn the noise was coming from somewhere else.

If you're sure it's the crank interface, the only thing I can think of would be to put some antiseize (or grease) on the square (not the bolt) before sliding the cranks on. :dunno

Stagehand 08-08-2007 09:32 PM

hi guys, I'm new here.

But I've been following this thread for a little while, because I've been riding again.

only a few miles a day... but its all uphill. Quit smoking a few months ago and used it to take out my frustrations... I didnt feel so much like a butt if my lungs were on fire. Plus I wanted to see if I could get in shape to ride motorcycles better.

I've got a Kona with front suspension only. Geared pretty low. Doing a combination road/trail. No Idea what I'm doing beyond: I used to ride a LOT before I got a license.

I like the uphills. :evil

everything lese feels like I'm cheating.

scorpion 08-08-2007 10:01 PM

Check out my new single speed I built up from a $26 thift store bike

http://www.vallihi.com/amebike/Sites-Images/0.jpg

Pretty yar, huh?

knary 08-08-2007 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpion
Check out my new single speed I built up from a $26 thift store bike

http://www.vallihi.com/amebike/Sites-Images/0.jpg

Pretty yar, huh?

Love that crank

:tb

knary 08-08-2007 11:41 PM

We just had a little hills clinic for the "team". Up and down, up and down, up and down a local volcano (extinct and only a 400 ft climb from the base to the top). We worked through the basics to the stuff we motorcyclists don't even thin about any more.

As we climbed, Norm was breathing hard. He had to stop once or twice. Geez he's slow and kinda fat. C'mon old guy, what gives?
Oh, yeah. You quit smoking just a few months ago after 43 years.

I wonder what those thousands of feet of climbing we did last week felt like with seriously diminished lung capacity. I suck. He's kicking ass, all things considered.:huh

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:51 PM.