ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Cat0020 09-05-2007 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
Not so good a memory huh, I agreed with you pages ago that a geared bicycle is more efficient for touring, road racing and most other street/mtn bike riding. That never was a point, was it for you?

The point is that geared bicycles are more efficient than fixies or SS for the general public that ride bicycles.

Quote:

What type of efficiency are you talking about anyway, calories/watts used per miles...?
If you're talking about drivetrain power to wheel ratio torque, say on a track bicycle, it's different than say how much energy it would take on a long distance tour to carry a fully panniered bicycle, right?

I'm talking about human efficiency to get from point A to point B in real world terrain that contain up and down hills, with or without luggage.

Quote:

The point is fixies have a place in bicycling, just like SS bikes. Were you one of those skiing guys who hated snowboarding when it first came out, because it was trendy, and not as efficient as skiing?

In my mind, the place in cycling for fixies are on the track, in velodromes.
SS are mostly for people who don't mind pushing a bike up a steep hill when their gearing and legs run out.

Quote:

Did you ever think that BECAUSE it's more challenging to ride a fixie it makes riding in general more fun, exciting to a rider tired of the same old 10 speed? It certainly made me a better roadie rider.

I don't consider riding a fixie or SS as fun, I like to be able to shift that is more fun to me. But that just my opinion, it is not a fact as my previous point between SS, fixies and geared bikes.

Quote:

Of course not, did you miss the pun? You cannot ride one of those experimental bubble bikes on a regular road. That was my point, sorry you missed it.

:loco

:loco:loco

You're a one trick pony with a one track mind.

And don't you forget that, I maybe crazy, but not stupid enough to say that I can fix any repair on a bicycle.

Cat0020 09-05-2007 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knary
I'm wasting my time. You're wasting our time. :deal

Takes two to tango.

Uncle Pollo 09-05-2007 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat0020
Good for you, unfortunately majority of bicycle owner/riders in the world are not riding because they want to attack a hill to get a good workout or be more comfortable with high cadence pedaling, or transition between sitting and standing up, they simply want to use as little effort as possible and pedal as easily as possible from point A to point B. Beside, you still have two bicycles to ride, maintain and make you feel like a better rider.. why not just use your SS or fixie as your only bike?

I betcha that in global numbers, most bicycles in the world are single speed and they are also used for basic transportation.

Bueller 09-05-2007 02:59 PM

Quote:

You do what you like with your wet paper bag and buy whatever pleases you. But knowing that we don't live in the world of constant flat, smooth pavement, you wouldn't ride your fixie poseur bike for over 100 miles a day if you had a choice and your life depended on it, would you?

I'm not sure

:scratch

Are we talking about having one, two, or three flats. There is a difference, you know. Particularly when the third tire goes flat. That's a real bitch. In that case I'd have to agree with you, gears are better. Regardless I just hope all three flats happen on the same ride. Just think - if they happened on three seperate days I'd have to throw away three bikes!

Gummee! 09-05-2007 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gambrinus
Everyone knows that green bikes, specifically Waterfords with the oh so sexy lugs will not only make your faster, but also thinner, sexier, richer, and far more attractive to the opposite sex.

RW

:nah Feh. All us SMART fellers know its the Gunnar's that do it to the girls. :evil

:D

M

Cat0020 09-05-2007 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don_Alejo
I betcha that in global numbers, most bicycles in the world are single speed and they are also used for basic transportation.

I'll take your waiger and raise it if you could provide proof, something definate down to the number of bicycles being produced, owned and ridden worldwide. Now that's something I'd like to see.

Cat0020 09-05-2007 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bueller
I'm not sure

:scratch

Are we talking about having one, two, or three flats. There is a difference, you know. Particularly when the third tire goes flat. That's a real bitch. In that case I'd have to agree with you, gears are better. Regardless I just hope all three flats happen on the same ride. Just think - if they happened on three seperate days I'd have to throw away three bikes!

That's a good one, by the third flat I'd just ride on the flat tire/tube for the rest of the 100 miles if I can't find any other means of getting where I need to be, or away.

Uncle Pollo 09-05-2007 03:02 PM

Quote:

I'll take your waiger and raise it if you could provide proof, something definate down to the number of bicycles being produced, owned and ridden worldwide.

Let me dig out the numbers of bicycles made in China and India.

Not enough data available, but you get the idea.

Somewhere around 20% of all trips in urban china are still done by bicycle.

Add India to the mix.

And no, Campagnolo is not very likely to be affordable to the Chinese commuter anytime soon.

YakSpout 09-05-2007 03:02 PM

Please stop quoting him. Ignore doesn't work so well for me if you do that... :rofl And it really is all about me.

Actually, there's no one on my ignore list.

But seriously, dude. Take this shit to bikeforums.net. You'll meet plenty of people who agree/disagree/want to argue/whatever.

This thread isn't the place.

elchulopadre 09-05-2007 03:03 PM

Quote:

Good for you, unfortunately majority of bicycle owner/riders in the world are not riding because they want to attack a hill to get a good workout or be more comfortable with high cadence pedaling, or transition between sitting and standing up, they simply want to use as little effort as possible and pedal as easily as possible from point A to point B. Beside, you still have two bicycles to ride, maintain and make you feel like a better rider.. why not just use your SS or fixie as your only bike?

Because getting better is fun.

Because catching up to other roadies and passing them is fun. Especially if they're in a peloton.

I'm certainly not as fast on the fixie as on the shiftie - but I'm faster on the shiftie if I've been on the fixie. And going fast is fun.

Having two bikes to ride and maintain means having one bike to ride when the other one's in bits (ie getting maintained). And both riding and maintaining bikes are fun (although I can see how, if you've been a bike mechanic for a long time, you might grow tired of wrenching).

I don't think I'll take the fixie to any of the sprint/olympic-distance triathlons I have coming up - but I'm certainly gonna train on it.

knary 09-05-2007 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakSpout
Please stop quoting him. Ignore doesn't work so well for me if you do that... :rofl And it really is all about me.

Actually, there's no one on my ignore list.

But seriously, dude. Take this shit to bikeforums.net. You'll meet plenty of people who agree/disagree/want to argue/whatever.

This thread isn't the place.

:nod

http://knary.smugmug.com/photos/98032589-M.jpg

YakSpout 09-05-2007 03:17 PM

My eyes! You. Broke. My. Eyes!

Gummee! 09-05-2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

I'll take your waiger and raise it if you could provide proof, something definate down to the number of bicycles being produced, owned and ridden worldwide. Now that's something I'd like to see.

Dood.

STFU now while you still have *some* shreds of credibility left. :nod

I don't like to see :kboom and it certainly looks like we're headed in that direction. :nod

M

Cat0020 09-05-2007 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elchulopadre
Because getting better is fun.

Not majority of people who own bikes ride for fun neither.

Quote:

Because catching up to other roadies and passing them is fun. Especially if they're in a peloton.

I'm certainly not as fast on the fixie as on the shiftie - but I'm faster on the shiftie if I've been on the fixie. And going fast is fun.

I admit, passing a peleton of roadies on a fixie does offer some satisfaction, but most of the time that doesn't take very long for a roadie to get back at you in some other way.

Quote:

Having two bikes to ride and maintain means having one bike to ride when the other one's in bits (ie getting maintained). And both riding and maintaining bikes are fun (although I can see how, if you've been a bike mechanic for a long time, you might grow tired of wrenching).

I though the whole idea is that you have less maitenance to do on a fixie so everything could easily be fix without the bike going out of comission. I've been a mechanic long enough to know that I can't fix any repair on a bicycle and that if something starts to go wrong with my bikes I'd know how to get it back on the road or get home to my tools.

Quote:

I don't think I'll take the fixie to any of the sprint/olympic-distance triathlons I have coming up - but I'm certainly gonna train on it.

Yes, some people may feel like they are faster on SS or fixies, but when it comes down to racing in real world conditions, road racing bike still would be the choice of majority.

Cat0020 09-05-2007 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Dood.

STFU now while you still have *some* shreds of credibility left. :nod

I don't like to see :kboom and it certainly looks like we're headed in that direction. :nod

M

Dude, credibility is not mine to have, is for other to give.

Besides, my head is far from getting exploded... I'm having fun.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:19 PM.