ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

vfr700 09-05-2007 12:08 PM

And it begins again.

gambrinus 09-05-2007 12:13 PM

Different strokes for different folks.

Now leave me alone while I go for a ride on my big wheeler.

RW

Uncle Pollo 09-05-2007 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gambrinus
Different strokes for different folks.

Now leave me alone while I go for a ride on my big wheeler.

RW

Pics

That is a fine art

blacksan 09-05-2007 12:18 PM

Perry, :wave

You should try the fixie with a little weight in a pack. I am trying to get my legs back after the accident and started wearing one of my weight vests. It's still in the 90's down here during mid afternoon and I get a real good workout in a short period of time.

Zodiac 09-05-2007 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacksan
Perry, :wave

You should try the fixie with a little weight in a pack. I am trying to get my legs back after the accident and started wearing one of my weight vests. It's still in the 90's down here during mid afternoon and I get a real good workout in a short period of time.

I've tried it a couple times, definitely works the lungs a little harder.

Hey, it's a steel frame, does that count?

:evil

blacksan 09-05-2007 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry

Only if we fill it with sand!:lol3

Cat0020 09-05-2007 12:25 PM

Quote:

If that's the case we should also make fun of people who ride classic motorcycles, after all, there are much more efficient forms of motorcycles these days.

How dare they kep the historic dream alive....

screw the classics..

Please do not put your words as my opinion.

Enough with the classic bikes, less weigh, less maintenance, jiber jaber.. you can repeat your points zillion times but still won't prove that SS or fixies are more efficient for a rider in the real world.

What? too lazy to learn how to shift, perform basic maintenance to your bike, and lock up your bike carefully when you need to?
Bikes are not that complicated, if someone like you can fix any kind of repair on a bicycle certainly shifting and maintaining gears would be an easy task to say the least.

Quote:

I guess when you don't have a choice between fixies and geared bikes, you go with what you got.. but you'd definately be slower than someone with comperable physical condition with a geared bike fitted.

blacksan 09-05-2007 12:30 PM

I personaly like them all and ride as often as possible even though I get paid to ride at my job.:thumb

x32792 09-05-2007 12:31 PM

Cannondale Road Warrior 800

Quote:

So I haven't exercised in well over 2 yrs, seriously.

And I eat like a 16 yr old suburban kid, sleep like an air traffic controller, and drink like a sailor.

When I was a kid I was somewhat serious about bicycling, at least from around 13 to 18 yrs. I did club rides for my age group, did a few centuries, and long freestyle tours solo, and with groups. I even rode a Mtn bike when no one knew what they were. Then (as I got more into motorcycling) I went to running for a good 5 yrs. but that faded out as my lower back became worse (from two accidents, one car, one motorcycle),

So I'm thinking of getting back into cycling. I have a very good Klein mountain bike but I find it's not geared for city use (geared too low), and even with the thinnest hybrid tires, it still whirs as I'm moving along.

I'm thinking of getting a decent road bike, but not sure what "type".

I seem to be drawn to the time trial style bike, because of the handlebars/shifter/elbow pads. They seem great for cranking hard, cardio, etc, but they also seem too "trick" with the small wheelbase.

I'd like all you cycle nerds to help me out with advice on bike style, and brand. I hear they're all made in China now anyway, even Cannondale....

Thanks.

Got back into biking as part of my physical rehab. Started with a hybrid which I quickly outgrew. In looking around at everything available and finally decided on the Cannondale Road Warrior 800. I could not be more pleased.

The Road Warrior 800 is a 22 pound, carbon fork, 27 speed, flat bar road bike with relaxed geometry and 28 mm tires.

At 6' and 200 pounds, the OEM seat caused me numbness...which as we all know is god's way of telling you to get a bigger seat, so I got a Serfas Dorado and the problem went away.

I ride my bright orange colored Road Warrior 1 to 4 hours each and every day.

About $1200 out the door with upgraded seat and two bottle holders.

gambrinus 09-05-2007 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don_Alejo
Pics

That is a fine art

Was half joking...

I WISH I had a big wheeler... Bike shop that I worked at years ago had one of the newer repros that would sit out front for advertising. I'd take it around the block from time to time. VERY interesting thing to ride.

RW

Zodiac 09-05-2007 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat0020
Please do not put your words as my opinion.

Enough with the classic bikes, less weigh, less maintenance, jiber jaber.. you can repeat your points zillion times but still won't prove that SS or fixies are more efficient for a rider in the real world.

What? too lazy to learn how to shift, perform basic maintenance to your bike, and lock up your bike carefully when you need to?
Bikes are not that complicated, if someone like you can fix any kind of repair on a bicycle certainly shifting and maintaining gears would be an easy task to say the least.

Again, your brain blockage confounds me. I never said fixies or any bike were more or less efficient in the real world. Each type has a given and useful purpose. That's all I'm trying to get through to you. There are pros and cons to both types, if you broadened your mind a bit and stopped caring that one just so happens to be trendy, you'd see that.

Quote:

I guess when you don't have a choice between fixies and geared bikes, you go with what you got.. but you'd definately be slower than someone with comperable physical condition with a geared bike fitted.
If I was worried about slower I'd lose 15lbs and only ride a fully faired desert racer bicycle.

Sometimes riding a bicycle has nothing to do with efficiency or speed. Are we all racers?

blacksan 09-05-2007 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x32792
At 6' and 200 pounds, the OEM seat caused me numbness...which as we all know is god's way of telling you to get a bigger seat, so I got a Serfas Dorado and the problem went away.

Ah, just keep on truckin and you will get the crotch of steel before ya know it, I don't even wear padded shorts anymore.

gambrinus 09-05-2007 12:36 PM

Everyone knows that green bikes, specifically Waterfords with the oh so sexy lugs will not only make your faster, but also thinner, sexier, richer, and far more attractive to the opposite sex.

RW

Uncle Pollo 09-05-2007 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat0020

Hypothetical situation.

I have a loop that I do on a regular basis, lets say office and back.

Times with geared bike versus fixed gear bike will be faster. Not even a discussion point here.

It so happens that I do not really care for the time I shave on the geared bike. It may seem incomprehensible for most people, but for some of us, is not about the times on the loop but in the fun (remember that?) of using a simpler machine and just concentrate on pedaling and enjoying the landscape and not thinking about the times anymore.

I do have a computer on my bike, so to log how many miles I do per month, and also to SLOW DOWN on the uphills since I tend to charge them a full steam, with the result of my legs not fitting on my leathers anymore.

It's just slower and different, but I personally find it more enjoyable.

note: After I learned the original rules of the TDF, I completelly lost any interest in the modern version.

Zodiac 09-05-2007 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gambrinus
Everyone knows that green bikes, specifically Waterfords with the oh so sexy lugs will not only make your faster, but also thinner, sexier, richer, and far more attractive to the opposite sex.

RW

One day I'll have a Vanilla frame....:D

Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:39 AM.