ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

knary 09-05-2007 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
So I haven't exercised in well over 2 yrs, seriously.

And I eat like a 16 yr old suburban kid, sleep like an air traffic controller, and drink like a sailor.

When I was a kid I was somewhat serious about bicycling, at least from around 13 to 18 yrs. I did club rides for my age group, did a few centuries, and long freestyle tours solo, and with groups. I even rode a Mtn bike when no one knew what they were. Then (as I got more into motorcycling) I went to running for a good 5 yrs. but that faded out as my lower back became worse (from two accidents, one car, one motorcycle),

So I'm thinking of getting back into cycling. I have a very good Klein mountain bike but I find it's not geared for city use (geared too low), and even with the thinnest hybrid tires, it still whirs as I'm moving along.

I'm thinking of getting a decent road bike, but not sure what "type".

I seem to be drawn to the time trial style bike, because of the handlebars/shifter/elbow pads. They seem great for cranking hard, cardio, etc, but they also seem too "trick" with the small wheelbase.

I'd like all you cycle nerds to help me out with advice on bike style, and brand. I hear they're all made in China now anyway, even Cannondale....

Thanks.

bump

:lurk

Just got back with my sweetie from our favorite little training ride. This is the quick 12.5 mile ride with 700 or so feet of climbing in a big mile push (it's the turn around point). She doubled up the climb, going up twice, and did almost 15 miles. I did it three times, doing a nice couple thousand feet in a few miles of work. It's kinda weird seeing how much stronger we've gotten.

Omi 09-06-2007 01:25 AM

I just got back from a nice ride too. We had 3 fixed gear bikes, 2 bikes with gears, and a single speed. The two geared bike people diden't bitch at us for being less efficient, and we diden't mind waiting for them at all. :D

Bueller 09-06-2007 04:55 AM

I just got done staring at my bike in the living room. I also stared at my girlfriend's bike for a second. I could feel the fat melting away.

So would I have burned more calories if I stared at a fixie instead of my old shiftie? What if it had a flat? Which one would have been more fun to stare at? Which one would have burned more calories while I was staring at it? Help me out, I'm new to all of this!

Mercury264 09-06-2007 05:02 AM

Went for my normal 25 mile or so loop last night and I felt very flat - I think I am coming down with flu or some shit. I was going to cut the ride short till I remembered my mate had given me one of those goo gel thingys and so I supped/eat/sucked that.

Holee Sheet. It was like instant energy. I finished the ride at an average of 18.4 which is far and away my best average - which is even more amazing considering I did the first 1/3 at sloth pace.

Simply amazing.

Need to get some of them babies.

elchulopadre 09-06-2007 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264
Went for my normal 25 mile or so loop last night and I felt very flat - I think I am coming down with flu or some shit. I was going to cut the ride short till I remembered my mate had given me one of those goo gel thingys and so I supped/eat/sucked that.

Holee Sheet. It was like instant energy. I finished the ride at an average of 18.4 which is far and away my best average - which is even more amazing considering I did the first 1/3 at sloth pace.

Simply amazing.

Need to get some of them babies.

:nod
They're amazing.
Just stay away from the PowerBar Banana Strawberry ones. :puke2

Zodiac 09-06-2007 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bueller
I just got done staring at my bike in the living room. I also stared at my girlfriend's bike for a second. I could feel the fat melting away.

So would I have burned more calories if I stared at a fixie instead of my old shiftie? What if it had a flat? Which one would have been more fun to stare at? Which one would have burned more calories while I was staring at it? Help me out, I'm new to all of this!

Hey G, cut my ride short a day or two early after Port Clinton, otherwise I would've swung by "the estate" for a night:D.

The fixie IMHO is much nicer to look at than a typical roadie, I have mine next to the TV and I often find myself staring at it, thinking....raw cool:1drink.

I also think a Fixie (if ridden properly) will burn more calories and build strength quicker in less time and miles. It's physics. Plus they make great winter rides with a set of cross tires and removable fenders.

PS - You should stop staring at C's bike and stare at her instead....:evil

Bueller 09-06-2007 06:22 AM

Quote:

Hey G, cut my ride short a day or two early after Port Clinton, otherwise I would've swung by "the estate" for a night:D.

No worries - we aren't going anywhere. Next time you're in the area let us know.

Quote:

The fixie IMHO is much nicer to look at than a typical roadie, I have mine next to the TV and I often find myself staring at it, thinking....raw cool:1drink.

I also think a Fixie (if ridden properly) will burn more calories and build strength quicker in less time and miles. It's physics. Plus they make great winter rides with a set of cross tires and removable fenders.

PS - You should stop staring at C's bike and stare at her instead....:evil

Now I know what's wrong with you. You've got it all backwards. I stare at the bikes. I ride Candi. Capiche? :evil

Gummee! 09-06-2007 09:29 AM

Stick Me's gonna be an animal if she ever develops any cycling fitness. Rode around the lake next to the house
http://dtr.runuphillracing.com/Maps/...ilsnov2006.jpg
We live over by the golf course on the upper left of this pic. Rode the road to the bike path over by the 470. Left turn over towards Soda Lakes. Then over to the Archery Range, past the campground and up to
the top of Mt Carbon and back. 18.5km in a little less than an hour. Not setting any speed records by any stretch, but it was a fun little ride. Rained again so both of us were wet. Now I gotta go clean bikes again. :bluduh

The Centennial Bike Trail in the lower part of the map goes around the 470 loop over to the Columbine Trail, which in turn hooks back up to the Bear Creek Trail about 10km in. The loop's about 50km with a few hills at either the start (the easy way) or the end (the hard way). BTDT with and without Stick Me... :ricky

M

zippy 09-06-2007 09:50 AM

fuk fuk fuk fuk

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/sep...?news-breaking

this is all we need ....................

Zodiac 09-06-2007 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bueller

Now I know what's wrong with you. You've got it all backwards. I stare at the bikes. I ride Candi. Capiche? :evil

As always, your eloquence shines through:lol3

Speaker 09-06-2007 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy

Wtf..

zippy 09-06-2007 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speaker
Wtf..

the south side of St Pete is somewhat of a DMZ . I've been told to go back to my own more than once.

Flaco 09-06-2007 12:08 PM

Time atb pedals

Anyone got time atb pedals they want to sell?

Flaco

flip18436572 09-06-2007 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy
http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/sep...?news-breaking

Gang wars on bicycles now?????

Speaker 09-06-2007 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiLeR650
I don't know anything about the situation in the article, but around here alot of druggies ride bikes to get around. I wouldn't be surprised if the victims here were involved in the drug/gang culture to some extent and it wasn't just a random shooting of a bicycle enthusiast out for a good workout.

Yeah, who knows. The one guy that got shot in the leg was previously convicted of "throwing a missile into a building or vehicle." Wonder where you get one of those? The local gun shop doesn't seem to stock them.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:55 AM.