ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

knary 09-24-2007 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elchulopadre
"The key is to swim parallel to the surface..." :lol3

... of the bottom of the lake. :norton

:lol3

p.s. we really should have a separate forum for all this crap. :augie

flip18436572 09-24-2007 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knary
... of the bottom of the lake. :norton

:lol3

p.s. we really should have a separate forum for all this crap. :augie

Sorry to get this off-topic thread more off-topic. PM me with help. And yes, I agree the people that think they know everything don't seem to know anything about how to improve technique.

Back on topic. I bought a used Roller trainer and now I am thinking about spending money on used wheels to put training rubber on for the bike for the trainer. Is this a good or bad idea???

Queen 09-24-2007 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flip18436572
How do you change someone's swimming stroke. I am trying to get my clydsedale body to be able to do an olympic triathlon next year. Not to race in it, but to finish it. I am going to attempt a few sprints before I do an olympic. I live in a small town, and I do not know of anyone that is a swimming coach, but I know of people who think they know a lot about it, but I don't think I can trust them at all. They don't look like an athlete, and they don't talk like they know anything about it either, but they help coach the youth swimming teams.

You watch the person swim to find where the stroke is inefficient and where drag is occurring. A stroke is a complicated series of movements so most people have loads of room for improvement.

A couple of the most common problems are an inefficient kick, and the placement of the hand/arm as it enters the water. Both can be a simple fix once you know where to focus your training.

Any colleges nearby? Most offer a Masters Swim program that would be staffed with coaches who could help you out.

Gummee! 09-24-2007 04:27 PM

Congrats!

Here's to a better next one!

:thumb

M

Gummee! 09-24-2007 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flip18436572
Sorry to get this off-topic thread more off-topic. PM me with help. And yes, I agree the people that think they know everything don't seem to know anything about how to improve technique.

Back on topic. I bought a used Roller trainer and now I am thinking about spending money on used wheels to put training rubber on for the bike for the trainer. Is this a good or bad idea???

Rollers or a trainer? Either way, they eat rubber quickly. Rollers not as much as a trainer.

An extra set of wheels is usually a really good idea. :nod That way, if something happens to yer 'good' wheels, you have something to ride till they get fixt. 'Course that means another cassette... :augie Now yer changing two/year insteada one. (chains and cassettes wear together. Usually you replace one, you HAVE to replace the other)

Now, since yer a tri-dood, one of the thing you could do is buy a pair of aero 'race wheels' on top of yer normal stuff. Helps you go faster with less effort. :nod Specialized/Hed TriSpokes are prolly the most aero, followed by some of the Zipp wheels, then the first gen Cosmics, then...

Good luck!

M

flip18436572 09-24-2007 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queen
You watch the person swim to find where the stroke is inefficient and where drag is occurring. A stroke is a complicated series of movements so most people have loads of room for improvement.

A couple of the most common problems are an inefficient kick, and the placement of the hand/arm as it enters the water. Both can be a simple fix once you know where to focus your training.

Any colleges nearby? Most offer a Masters Swim program that would be staffed with coaches who could help you out.

The closest is over an hour away. I will ask some people around here to see if they know of anyone that is actually good at finding the problems with a stroke and then make it better. I don't want to put too much energy into a kick, because I will still have the bike and run to complete and they don't use the arms much at all.

flip18436572 09-24-2007 04:50 PM

Gummee - I bought a roller setup for an indoor trainer. It is a Minoura and since it is listed as a "trainer" on most websites, that is what I put down in my post. I wasn't trying to confuse anyone, I was just posting what I knew from searching websites. Sorry for the confusion.

From performancebike.com website as an example, here is a copy and paste:
Home / Shop Trainers Rollers


Now for another question about the roller. Do I use 1st gear, or do I need to work through all of the gears?

Askel 09-24-2007 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flip18436572
They don't look like an athlete, and they don't talk like they know anything about it either, but they help coach the youth swimming teams.


Everything I know about swimming, I learned from youth swimming probably 20 years ago.

I totally rocked the half mile swim at my triathlon, by my standards anyway.

It also helps to swim regularly at the pool and watch what the fast people do. Especially if the fast people are cute chicks in bikinis. :lol3

flip18436572 09-24-2007 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
Everything I know about swimming, I learned from youth swimming probably 20 years ago.

I totally rocked the half mile swim at my triathlon, by my standards anyway.

It also helps to swim regularly at the pool and watch what the fast people do. Especially if the fast people are cute chicks in bikinis. :lol3

I think I will get back into my swimming next month, since I am not doing any tri's until next year. I will work on my swimming harder in the winter months in the indoor pool, instead of the indoor pool in the summer. Getting to use the outdoor pool for actual swimming in the summer is next to impossible. Mostly kids jumping in and out. And at the lake, you can only swim within their roped off area and it isn't very long and is crowded with jumping kids also.

Askel 09-24-2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flip18436572
I think I will get back into my swimming next month, since I am not doing any tri's until next year. I will work on my swimming harder in the winter months in the indoor pool, instead of the indoor pool in the summer. Getting to use the outdoor pool for actual swimming in the summer is next to impossible. Mostly kids jumping in and out. And at the lake, you can only swim within their roped off area and it isn't very long and is crowded with jumping kids also.


If your tri includes an open water swim, it's worth finding a place to practice that. Open water swiming is vastly different from pool swimming. Learning how to stay on course is important.

Of course, a sharing a lane at the pool with 4+ people will also teach you how to survive another tri issue: the mass swim start. :lol3

flip18436572 09-24-2007 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
If your tri includes an open water swim, it's worth finding a place to practice that. Open water swiming is vastly different from pool swimming. Learning how to stay on course is important.

Of course, a sharing a lane at the pool with 4+ people will also teach you how to survive another tri issue: the mass swim start. :lol3

When I go to the Lake of the Ozarks, I do my open water swimming there, but I put a floatation device between my feet and only swim with my arms. That way my wife doesn't freak out when I go swimming for an hour in a cove somewhere while she sits on the boat and reads. I am sure open water swimming with a million other people is different, but there is just as much waves when I swim at 5:00 a.m. at the local indoor pool with the other people swimming at the same time. There are always waves, so I have been able to do both. Maybe some people have problems not being able to be near a wall to grab onto, but I used to swim across rock quarry lakes/ponds without any problems, and some of them are 100 feet deep or more. Where I swim at the Ozarks is a cove that is 30 - 50 feet deep.

What is the difference that most people have with open water swimming?

scorpion 09-25-2007 11:04 AM

My New Commuter!
 
Salsa Casserolle
Old school build with vintage shimano 600 components
Been riding it to work for a coupla weeks now.
I was questioning the whole project during the build up, but after having put about 300 miles on it, it's the best bike I've had so far.
A real sleeper, that hauls ass.

The brooks saddle is pure luxury, like seeing the city go by on a lazy-boy recliner.

http://vallihi.com/casserolle/casserolle-Images/0.jpg

More Pix

Flaco 09-25-2007 11:06 AM

Sounds like Salsa is getting back to it's roots a bit...finally.

I love these frames. As soon as I'm employed (should be next week) I'm going to build one up as a fixie so I can be in with the cool guys on this thread.

Flaco

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpion
Salsa Casserolle
Old school build with vintage shimano 600 components
Been riding it to work for a coupla weeks now.
I was questioning the whole project during the build up, but after having put about 300 miles on it, it's the best bike I've had so far.
A real sleeper, that hauls ass.

The brooks saddle is pure luxury, like seeing the city go by on a lazy-boy recliner.

http://vallihi.com/casserolle/casserolle-Images/0.jpg

More Pix


Flaco 09-25-2007 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flip18436572
Gummee - I bought a roller setup for an indoor trainer. It is a Minoura and since it is listed as a "trainer" on most websites, that is what I put down in my post. I wasn't trying to confuse anyone, I was just posting what I knew from searching websites. Sorry for the confusion.

From performancebike.com website as an example, here is a copy and paste:
Home / Shop Trainers Rollers


Now for another question about the roller. Do I use 1st gear, or do I need to work through all of the gears?

Any gear. Higher gears will lead to more stability as your wheels will spin faster.

Mess around with what feels comfortable.

Flaco

flip18436572 09-25-2007 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaco
Any gear. Higher gears will lead to more stability as your wheels will spin faster.

Mess around with what feels comfortable.

Flaco

I hope with time the comfort level steps up. I feel like a crash waiting to happen. But, hopefully this will help fix things in my riding also.


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014