ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Uncle Pollo 09-30-2007 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homey
Din Alejo and Perry,

Just wanted to let you know that I rode a century yesterday (5000ft +/- of climbing) with a friend of mine on the fixies, in your honor! Just so you know the sacrifice I made, it's only seven days before the Furnace Creek 508. Of course the fact that we rode the whole ride with three very cute co-eds from Cal Poly didn't hurt at all! :thumb Lots of fun!

forgot to mention...The knees are still feeling fine, thank you very much!

You rode "fisso"?

Is like a speedball when gong down hill ... not being be shy on the brakes to modulate speed is key for knee health.

What was your gear combo?

How did you feel climbing off the saddle on it?

Baldy 09-30-2007 11:02 AM

Wow! Didn't expect so much interest in the jerseys. We had a lot of debate at work about them and a year passed until some guy said, "Screw it, I'm makin' some I like. Who's in?" He made up bib shorts, jerseys, wind vests, speedsuits for triathons, bib knickers, and some winter weight vests.

Amazing how many comments we get on rides/races and people asking about them. Anyway, I'll see howz many we have when I get home (I'm in Hawaii) and let youz know.

Wish I could do that ride every Saturday -- it'd get my butt in shape. No breaks, no mercy, just up.

Homey 09-30-2007 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don_Alejo
You rode "fisso"?

Is like a speedball when gong down hill ... not being be shy on the brakes to modulate speed is key for knee health.

What was your gear combo?

How did you feel climbing off the saddle on it?

I have a 1980 Peugot Competiton Light. The gearing is 42X15, (I think?). I flip flop between that and the 17 depending on what condition my condition is in. I do ok on the descents it's actually the climbing that gets my knees. I'm a big guy, 6'3" and about 220. Having to mash up all the hills around here just about kills my knees. Climbing out of the saddle is the only way I can get up some of those buggers! Zig-zaging helps too. The ride I did yesterday with 5000ft of climbing is about my max on that bike.

playzNmud 09-30-2007 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldy
Wow! Didn't expect so much interest in the jerseys. We had a lot of debate at work about them and a year passed until some guy said, "Screw it, I'm makin' some I like. Who's in?" He made up bib shorts, jerseys, wind vests, speedsuits for triathons, bib knickers, and some winter weight vests.

Amazing how many comments we get on rides/races and people asking about them. Anyway, I'll see howz many we have when I get home (I'm in Hawaii) and let youz know.

Wish I could do that ride every Saturday -- it'd get my butt in shape. No breaks, no mercy, just up.

Are you kiddin Baldy.. at this point, I think you could get a tattoo on your forehead and people would follow.. uhhohhh... is this some sort of :bowcult..hehe

count me in...

and I could help with the designs as well.... got some free time *you could say* eheh...

Im ready to train... I think this forum has enough really good riders... I can foresee an ADVcyle rally/race...hmmm... Im ready... *now where is that cycling icon???? hmmmm searching....:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queen
On the womens cycling forum where I post, it took months to hammer out jersey ideas...then to figure out fit issues (most women do NOT like elastic bottom jerseys as a rule). Really nice jerseys but after all that work, they still didn't get the ones without elastic (too expensive/not readily available) so I didn't bother ordering. :dunno

also, no pea hole sized arm holes either.. my poor things lose circulation....

Ken 09-30-2007 12:10 PM

Days are getting shorter and my buds and I are considering lights for our bikes and doing some night riding. I can do a 20ish mile loop around my house on very private little roads with almost no cars.

Any ideas on which lights to buy??

Uncle Pollo 09-30-2007 12:10 PM

Quote:

I have a 1980 Peugot Competiton Light. The gearing is 42X15, (I think?). I flip flop between that and the 17 depending on what condition my condition is in. I do ok on the descents it's actually the climbing that gets my knees. I'm a big guy, 6'3" and about 220. Having to mash up all the hills around here just about kills my knees. Climbing out of the saddle is the only way I can get up some of those buggers! Zig-zaging helps too. The ride I did yesterday with 5000ft of climbing is about my max on that bike.

So it's the climbing ... what is the crank lenght on the "fisso"?

Homey 09-30-2007 12:16 PM

Quote:

So it's the climbing ... what is the crank lenght on the "fisso"?

The crank length is 175 I believe.

knary 09-30-2007 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken
Days are getting shorter and my buds and I are considering lights for our bikes and doing some night riding. I can do a 20ish mile loop around my house on very private little roads with almost no cars.

Any ideas on which lights to buy??

Are you hoping to actually light up the road or just make yourself visible in traffic?

Zodiac 09-30-2007 12:34 PM

Quote:

Din Alejo and Perry,

Just wanted to let you know that I rode a century yesterday (5000ft +/- of climbing) with a friend of mine on the fixies, in your honor! Just so you know the sacrifice I made, it's only seven days before the Furnace Creek 508. Of course the fact that we rode the whole ride with three very cute co-eds from Cal Poly didn't hurt at all! :thumb Lots of fun!

forgot to mention...The knees are still feeling fine, thank you very much!

That sounds like a blast, the farthest I've rode the fixie was around 64miles, but I think I could do a century on one with a good flat route and proper 76inch gearing.

Let's see pics of the co-eds too.....:deal

Zodiac 09-30-2007 01:43 PM

http://www.bikeatac.com/semicustom/r...recoloring.htm

I did a little research today on the jerseys. It seems the best way to go is with a semi custom option, most of them have a 10 jersey minimum, but click on this link and play around with the color options.

I like an older retro look, so I was thinking an olive or dark tan shirt color, with white ADV logos, maybe saying "ride the world" somewhere as well.

Maybe a light coffee color with a dark brown or black stripe, possibly some red piping...

???

Uncle Pollo 09-30-2007 01:49 PM

Quote:

The crank length is 175 I believe.

mhm ... are you able to swap to shorter cranks? With your height 175 looks right, but with the many miles you have on bikes, you might try shorter cranks?

Uncle Pollo 09-30-2007 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
http://www.bikeatac.com/semicustom/r...recoloring.htm

I did a little research today on the jerseys. It seems the best way to go is with a semi custom option, most of them have a 10 jersey minimum, but click on this link and play around with the color options.

I like an older retro look, so I was thinking an olive or dark tan shirt color, with white ADV logos, maybe saying "ride the world" somewhere as well.

Maybe a light coffee color with a dark brown or black stripe, possibly some red piping...

???

I am in with the retro colour and scheme. I weigh no opinion on this matter, I'll just send you the money.

Zodiac 09-30-2007 01:59 PM

Quote:

I am in with the retro colour and scheme. I weigh no opinion on this matter, I'll just send you the money.

I'm going to call one of these places this week, start feeling them out for what kind of deposit or payment they need to do a minimum order.

I'm guessing we'd be able to sell 20 automatically to the regs around here, before we even commit to a design.

Probably another 20 after people see them worn here on the thread.

If it's a few hundred dollars to do an initial order, I can cover it, and then send them out to whomever pays the unit price + shipping.

Once we have a template with one compnay, and we're happy with them, we can just build up an order list and place another order.

Re= colors, I really want to stay away from any white except in the ADV logos. I think one small one in front (left breast), and one large one on back would work well.

I'm digging a dark mustard primary color, with maybe light blue retro stripe across chest (see link I posted above), and maybe red arm bands.

Uncle Pollo 09-30-2007 02:11 PM

Quote:

I'm going to call one of these places this week, start feeling them out for what kind of deposit or payment they need to do a minimum order.

I'm guessing we'd be able to sell 20 automatically to the regs around here, before we even commit to a design.

Probably another 20 after people see them worn here on the thread.

If it's a few hundred dollars to do an initial order, I can cover it, and then send them out to whomever pays the unit price + shipping.

Once we have a template with one compnay, and we're happy with them, we can just build up an order list and place another order.

Re= colors, I really want to stay away from any white except in the ADV logos. I think one small one in front (left breast), and one large one on back would work well.

I'm digging a dark mustard primary color, with maybe light blue retro stripe across chest (see link I posted above), and maybe red arm bands.

:nod ... I've seen the vintage colours and i like them all

Queen 09-30-2007 02:16 PM

Quote:

I like the retro stuff too and LOVE the woolies...my .02, just remember the Clydes and Substantial Ladies when you're looking. Lots of folks would probably buy in when they're first getting back to riding as a form of motivation...lots of THOSE folks (me included) are still pretty big. :thumb

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:44 AM.