ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Motoplaner 09-30-2007 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
Do you swallow?

Homo: You.

Baldy 09-30-2007 10:40 PM

Quote:

I'll take one for the team and do the photography.:evil

Hahaha, as I wrote it I thought, "lucky photographer."

Baldy 09-30-2007 10:52 PM

Long as I'm blabbing in this thread, I attempted The Death Ride this year and LOVED it!! I couldn't figure out why people were already on the road at 4:30 a.m., so I tried to sleep 'till 6:30.

The roads are completely closed for the first 75 miles or something like that and 4 alpine passes, which are gorgeous.

I completely underestimated the effort and this was my first DNF from being too wiped to finish...

I had run the Comrades Marathon, 56 miles in Africa over hill and dale, just a few weeks before and was probably still tired. And I took it lightly because it was all biking, no running a marathon after the bike like I usually have to do.

So I didn't eat enough, didn't drink enough, showed up with gearing too high and had to get off my seat a lot on the third pass. By the fourth pass I was suffering and in a state of shock about it.

You pass by your car on the way to the 5th pass, a very bad idea. I stopped to eat and...it was too easy to turn the key and drive away. So now I have an excuse for doing it next year -- unfinished business and all that.

Dranrab Luap 09-30-2007 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldy
Long as I'm blabbing in this thread, I attempted The Death Ride this year and LOVED it!! I couldn't figure out why people were already on the road at 4:30 a.m., so I tried to sleep 'till 6:30.

The roads are completely closed for the first 75 miles or something like that and 4 alpine passes, which are gorgeous.

I completely underestimated the effort and this was my first DNF from being too wiped to finish...

I had run the Comrades Marathon, 56 miles in Africa over hill and dale, just a few weeks before and was probably still tired. And I took it lightly because it was all biking, no running a marathon after the bike like I usually have to do.

So I didn't eat enough, didn't drink enough, showed up with gearing too high and had to get off my seat a lot on the third pass. By the fourth pass I was suffering and in a state of shock about it.

You pass by your car on the way to the 5th pass, a very bad idea. I stopped to eat and...it was too easy to turn the key and drive away. So now I have an excuse for doing it next year -- unfinished business and all that.

I'm not even close to being ready for any kind of challenge like that. About all I'm good for is 50 miles and that is in the flatlands. How long is the Death Ride and where does it take place?

Uncle Pollo 09-30-2007 11:00 PM

Hey Baldy!

I know of a company (Backroads) that does bicycle tours. It gave me an idea for a bicycle tour in Europe: "do the historic climbs"; all uphill through all the historic race course climbings, even the dirt road ones.

At least that is one of my goals next time i am in Europe, or at least in Italy.

Yeah ... I like to suffer.

knary 09-30-2007 11:17 PM

Quote:

I'm not even close to being ready for any kind of challenge like that. About all I'm good for is 50 miles and that is in the flatlands. How long is the Death Ride and where does it take place?

http://www.deathride.com/

It's a ride I've been wanting to do for some time.

Homey 09-30-2007 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldy

The Death ride is defintiely a quality ride! I've done it a few times and it holds a special place in my heart as the first ride I ever did that made me sick from just the effort. I lost my lunch on top of Carson Pass (the 5th one).

As you learned, the worst thing to do on any ride is to stop at your car! If you are in any kind of bad mental state the ride is over. It's better to stay on the bike and recover as you ride. On the Death Ride if you make it back up to the top of Ebbitts Pass on the return from Hermit Valley you have a pretty good distance to recover before the long haul up to the top of Carson. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't know but ... :D

One year I was less than a 1/4 mile from the top of Carson Pass and came upon a rider who had just stopped. He looked horrible so I stopped to ask him if he was alright. He said he was done, couldn't trun one more pedal towards the top. I talked with him for a few minutes and thougth I had convinced him to finish. He could walk to the top from there so I hopped back on my bike and took off. I turned around to see how he was doing and he was already gone! Turned around and headed back down the mountain, broken! I couldn't believe it, that close to the top and he turned around. I think I would have crawled to the top. Anyway, that's the kind of ride the Death Ride is. If you're not prepared it'll break you!

PS, If you're up for a bigger challenge than the Death Ride (and don't want to go to the double century scene) try the Climb to Kiaser. There is a ride that will truly kick your ass!!!!!

Homey 09-30-2007 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don_Alejo
mhm ... are you able to swap to shorter cranks? With your height 175 looks right, but with the many miles you have on bikes, you might try shorter cranks?

I've thought about that but I don't really ride it that much. As long as I stay off the crazy steep stuff I'm ok. The ride I did last weekend has one five mile climb with a two mile section that averaged 8%. The rest was in the 4-6% range. That was about the limit of what I can do without my knees rebeling.

Baldy 10-01-2007 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homey
PS, If you're up for a bigger challenge than the Death Ride (and don't want to go to the double century scene) try the Climb to Kiaser. There is a ride that will truly kick your ass!!!!!

In! I'm gonna do IronMan Arizona next April and oughta be in fighting trim after that.

Knary, you in?

Homey 10-01-2007 12:28 AM

Baldy, since you are into pain and live in the bay area there are a bunch of nasty rides for you to choose from! The Auburn Century and Spooktakular are pretty nasty as well as the aforementioned ones.

If you get into doubles the Devil Mtn Double starts over in Livermore. It's got 20,000ft of climbing in 200 miles! :thumb

Homey 10-01-2007 01:33 AM

This is my first attempt at posting a pic so I hope it works right. If anyone is interested I'll post some more RAAM pics. This is me riding into the sunset somewhere in Kansas 2006. Those trees on the right are the only trees in Kansas.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...B/DSC_7458.jpg

Zodiac 10-01-2007 04:39 AM

Quote:

This is my first attempt at posting a pic so I hope it works right. If anyone is interested I'll post some more RAAM pics. This is me riding into the sunset somewhere in Kansas 2006. Those trees on the right are the only trees in Kansas.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...B/DSC_7458.jpg

interested in those RAAM pics....:lurk

Gummee! 10-01-2007 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacksan
+1

I put mine through hell and it has not let me down. I am going to do one of the helmet mounts for my own personal use.

So no shit, there I was... at Interbike Phily years back...

Wandering around the aisles checking out the scenery walkin by (I mean vendors!) and I hear this hammering from way over yonder.

WTF?

So I keep wandering down the aisles and its getting louder.

Huh?

So I finally get to the spot where the hammering's coming from and its the Niterider booth. They're taking their 6v systems and wailing away on a big wire spool (waist high, 6' dia you know the ones) with em. BANGBANGBANG! plug in the light and it lights up. Unplug the light BANGBANGBANG! plug in the light, repeat. Hmmmm I need a light and I doubt the Nitesun (competitor at the time) would be able to do that! So I bought 3 over the years. All I need is another few batteries to make em good as new. :thumb

The HID stuff ain't as durable. :nono MUCH mo brighter tho. :nod Brighter than car headlights! :thumb IF yer riding off-road, or on the road in outer BFE, I'd recommend one. If not, stick with the halogen models. :nod

I've done quite a bit of mtn nite riding over the years :ricky WAY kewl. :nod Full moon, no light night rides are da bomb. Moon's usually bright enough that you cast a shadow and don't *need* lights. :nah

HTH

M

ThomD 10-01-2007 07:03 AM

Quote:

Baldy, since you are into pain and live in the bay area there are a bunch of nasty rides for you to choose from! The Auburn Century and Spooktakular are pretty nasty as well as the aforementioned ones.

If you get into doubles the Devil Mtn Double starts over in Livermore. It's got 20,000ft of climbing in 200 miles! :thumb

That's just mean Homey! DMD is so freakin' hard! Central Coast is a much better choice and he could ride with you. :1drinkHomey is GREAT to ride with.

Veronica

ThomD's insane half.

Homey 10-01-2007 07:09 AM

Ok, here are some more. That first one was a sunrise, not sunset (as if anyone could really tell). This next one is what our chase vehicle looled like after getting t-boned by our hero at 40mph. There is a nice imprint of my body on the side of the van. Not a nice thing to do to a brand new van!

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...B/DSC_7190.jpg

This is in Colorado 2006, notice the deer off to the right.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...B/Dsc_7330.jpg

Riding in the rain near Cucharas Pass in Eastern Colorado...

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...B/DSC_7280.jpg

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:58 AM.