ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Uncle Pollo 10-03-2007 07:42 PM

You guys are way too competitive for me

I only sprint against cars from light to light.

That being said, I never tried a velodrome.

I think THAT would be fun!

Gummee! 10-03-2007 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don_Alejo
I only sprint against cars from light to light.

That being said, I never tried a velodrome.

I think THAT would be fun!

Y'all have one somewhere down thataway. Frisco I do believe.

Its about the hardest thing I've done on two wheels, but the most fun at the same time. The only thing harder is cross. :ricky

Kewl thing about track racing is that you generally have 3-4 races/session. If something don't work this time, try something else next time. If it don't work, try something else. Lots of chances to try different racing strategies. :thumb

Just remember: Never, EVER stop pedaling!

M

Uncle Pollo 10-03-2007 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Y'all have one somewhere down thataway. Frisco I do believe.

Its about the hardest thing I've done on two wheels, but the most fun at the same time. The only thing harder is cross. :ricky

Kewl thing about track racing is that you generally have 3-4 races/session. If something don't work this time, try something else next time. If it don't work, try something else. Lots of chances to try different racing strategies. :thumb

Just remember: Never, EVER stop pedaling!

M

When I lived in PA the city of Downingtown had a velodrome planned ... but I had to move away to start my new job.

I understand that one must aquire a license, or take clases, to race on a velodrome ....right?

:ear

gambrinus 10-03-2007 08:59 PM

I used to ride at the Encino Velodrome when we lived in LA They had a "beginner" night where any schmuck could show up for the quickie class and they'd turn you loose on one of the track's "loaner" bikes. The most fun you can imagine... just a crazy good time.

RW

Askel 10-04-2007 03:56 AM

http://www.cyclerscafe.com/Portals/7...JAKEHeader.jpg

This thing is fuckin' blast. :clap

For a 56cm bike, it's huge. I feel like I'm riding around on a monster truck. Which sort of encourages me to do some monster truck style antics. Lets hope those wheels are as strong as they look. :eek1

I think it's knary who always encourages us n00bs to get 105 or better components- now I know why. The crunchgrindcrunchBANG of the 8 speed Tiagra/Sora setup is rather charming in a "glad I've got something better to ride when I get sick of this" sort of way.

Oh, and Don- I dragged it and my battle scarred face to a couple of bars and coffee houses last night. No dice. The 18-39 female demographic decided to stay in for fear of capitulating to such an intense specimen of manhood as yours truly. :lol3

flip18436572 10-04-2007 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel

I don't know if it is the picture, but the wheels on that bike look hugenormus.

Oznerol 10-04-2007 06:11 AM

Quote:

This thing is fuckin' blast. :clap

For a 56cm bike, it's huge. I feel like I'm riding around on a monster truck. Which sort of encourages me to do some monster truck style antics. Lets hope those wheels are as strong as they look. :eek1

Congrats on the new bike. Get it off pavement ASAP. Preferably smooth twisty singletrack.

Quote:

I think it's knary who always encourages us n00bs to get 105 or better components- now I know why. The crunchgrindcrunchBANG of the 8 speed Tiagra/Sora setup is rather charming in a "glad I've got something better to ride when I get sick of this" sort of way.
I've actually been really happy with the mostly-Tiagra components on my cross bike (Tiagra levers & FD, Deore LX RD). It took a couple of rounds of adjustment as things broke in, but now I've got it dialed and it shifts really smoothly. But other than a few test rides I don't have experience with better components, so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

Shuffler 10-04-2007 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiLeR650
Uhh, I hate to break it to you, but you dont need to work out to enjoy those things.

Quote:
<table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by Shuffler
FOR ME, Working out regularly makes it possible to enjoy sinful things like chocolate, cigars, and liquor...
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Fixed...and on the subject of bike helmets - we all know they can stink. Anybody used that stuff called 'Stink be Gone' or something like that? Does it work?

zippy 10-04-2007 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shuffler
bike helmets - we all know they can stink. Anybody used that stuff called 'Stink be Gone' or something like that? Does it work?

I've used Renuzit - odor neutralizer and it works .

Askel 10-04-2007 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody
Congrats on the new bike. Get it off pavement ASAP. Preferably smooth twisty singletrack.

Cyclocross practice up at the Tech trails tonight. Can't wait to do some bombing around on all the dirt roads and two tracks up here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody
I've actually been really happy with the mostly-Tiagra components on my cross bike (Tiagra levers & FD, Deore LX RD). It took a couple of rounds of adjustment as things broke in, but now I've got it dialed and it shifts really smoothly. But other than a few test rides I don't have experience with better components, so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

I've been kind of ruined by Ultegra brifters, but that's mostly personal preference. I suspect that Deore LX RD really helps things, the Deore on my MTB is way better than the Tiagra on the Jake. Do you run MTB style gearing with that? I think that the 12-25 cassette may prove too tall for most of the riding I intend to do with this bike, I'm considering maybe swapping it for an 11-32 MTB cassette if such a thing is possible...

Gummee! 10-04-2007 09:11 AM

Quote:

Cyclocross practice up at the Tech trails tonight. Can't wait to do some bombing around on all the dirt roads and two tracks up here.

watch. learn. ask stoopit questions. have fun. :nod There's a technique that you need(!) to learn to get onto and off of the bike quickly.

Quote:

I've been kind of ruined by Ultegra brifters, but that's mostly personal preference.
...and D/A is better than that. :nod

Quote:

I suspect that Deore LX RD really helps things, the Deore on my MTB is way better than the Tiagra on the Jake. Do you run MTB style gearing with that? I think that the 12-25 cassette may prove too tall for most of the riding I intend to do with this bike, I'm considering maybe swapping it for an 11-32 MTB cassette if such a thing is possible...
Depends on whatcher doin with the bike. :nod Riding it like a mtn bike then yes, get the bigger cassette. If yer plannin on racin it, maybe a 27t large cog or so should be OK. If yer goin slower than that, its usually faster to get off and run. :nod

HTH

M
runnin a 34-46 front ring and a 12-25 cassette

gambrinus 10-04-2007 09:11 AM

All the shimano stuff is idiot proof. You can pop on a 12-32 easy as pie... lock ring off, old cassette slides off... drop on the new unit, and tighten up your lock ring. zooom zooom

RW

Zodiac 10-04-2007 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gambrinus
All the shimano stuff is idiot proof. You can pop on a 12-32 easy as pie... lock ring off, old cassette slides off... drop on the new unit, and tighten up your lock ring. zooom zooom

RW

Here's a Shimano DA question =

I got 9 speed group on my roadie now, and want to swtich to 10 speed.

I'm thinking all I need is the shifters/10 speed cassette/chain, but can keep my derailleurs...(??)

Anybody disagree -

Gummee! 10-04-2007 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
Here's a Shimano DA question =

I got 9 speed group on my roadie now, and want to swtich to 10 speed.

I'm thinking all I need is the shifters/10 speed cassette/chain, but can keep my derailleurs...(??)

Anybody disagree -

AFAIK that's it: cassette, chain, and shifters. I do believe everything else is compatible.

Lemme know wassup, 'cause I'm looking to do the same thing.

M

gambrinus 10-04-2007 09:27 AM

Google for more wisdom.... I think, but am in no way certain, that the 10speed stuff is its own little universe...

Go to Sheldon Brown's site. He'll probably have info. Pete White is another great site.

RW

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:49 AM.