ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

DoctorIt 10-02-2007 08:39 PM

goonie, goonie, goonie... no helmet, an ipod, AND self-portraits!! True advrider style. :rolleyes :lol3

I just learned a couple weeks ago that helmets are mandatory in Oz. $50 fine. I wear one all the time anyway (always do since I watched one of my friends hit the road on a "slow safe training ride" and have seizures, anyway). The police wait near the busier bike-paths here in the city and do helmet-busts.

Shuffler 10-02-2007 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
Yup, been losing about a pound a week now since I got really serious about it again last summer. Started out at about 280-something, I was 225 yesterday.

Biking really helped a lot this summer. :thumb

Congrats dude...that is awesome...keep it up! Health & fitness is a way of life for me...except when me and Flaco start hitting the Makers...then it all kinda goes out the window, at least for a little while. :1drink

Working out regularly makes it possible to enjoy sinful things like chocolate, cigars, and liquor...

KiLeR650 10-02-2007 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shuffler
Working out regularly makes it possible to enjoy sinful things like chocolate, cigars, and liquor...

Uhh, I hate to break it to you, but you dont need to work out to enjoy those things.

Malfunct8 10-02-2007 09:21 PM

This is my beloved specialized crossroads combined with a 105 group and made bulletproof and simple, solid. Picture taken in Northern Pakistan.
:cry Stolen last year. I never thought I could be so attached to a bicycle, it was like losing your dog.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...8/76660006.jpg

Zodiac 10-03-2007 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorIt
goonie, goonie, goonie... no helmet, an ipod, AND self-portraits!! True advrider style. :rolleyes :lol3

I just learned a couple weeks ago that helmets are mandatory in Oz. $50 fine. I wear one all the time anyway (always do since I watched one of my friends hit the road on a "slow safe training ride" and have seizures, anyway). The police wait near the busier bike-paths here in the city and do helmet-busts.

Yep, don't leave home without it. A guy in one of the bike clubs I ride with died this year from a brain stem injury.

(long story short, his CF Orbea self destructed out of nowhere on a regular road, doing under 15mph, he was wearing a helmet, but landed on the top of his head. Seizures/paralayzed/heart stopped. Spent the next 3 months in a hospital before dying a vegetable.....)

Why mess with the only hard drive you'll ever have? I see roadies all the time whizzing down mountain roads without them -makes no sense at all.

rant off:1drink

Baldy 10-03-2007 02:09 AM

Watched The Flying Scotsman tonight and loved it! :clap :clap

It's sorta like The World's Fastest Indian. Not as great as that (what is?), but still really good.

Mercury264 10-03-2007 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldy
Watched The Flying Scotsman tonight and loved it! :clap :clap

It's sorta like The World's Fastest Indian. Not as great as that (what is?), but still really good.

Glad you enjoyed it Baldy :thumb

He was/is one weird dood but he sure could ride.

Shuffler 10-03-2007 07:59 AM

it's in my Netflix qeue...

Dranrab Luap 10-03-2007 08:11 AM

Good gosh, I missed this thread for a day and I don't even know who you people are any more. This thread has legs...errr make that wheels.

blacksan 10-03-2007 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
Yep, don't leave home without it.

+1 Bazillion

I was hit by a car on May 1st and my big pumpkin was driven down in too the pavement. Yah, I was knocked unconscious and all broken up, but the helmet saved my life, so saith the doc.

http://blacksan.smugmug.com/photos/195255342-M.jpg

http://blacksan.smugmug.com/photos/195255397-M.jpg

blacksan 10-03-2007 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KiLeR650
Uhh, I hate to break it to you, but you dont need to work out to enjoy those things.

True, but I do and have a 30" waist.:wings

gambrinus 10-03-2007 08:27 AM

Hemets are for pussys. Heck, all the big tough Harley types don't need no stinkin' helmet and they go way faster than me on my bicycle....

RW

ps KIDDING! I got popped by a cage in 96 or so.. I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for my Giro that gave its life for me.

Baldy 10-03-2007 09:43 AM

I got popped by a cage two years ago and unfortunately my Giro was too high on my head and I hit my forehead on the road, just above the eyebrow. It fractured my skull in lots of places and all the bones that support my eye socket.

I got me a helmet that comes right down to the top of my eyebrow now.

gambrinus 10-03-2007 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldy
I got popped by a cage two years ago and unfortunately my Giro was too high on my head and I hit my forehead on the road, just above the eyebrow. It fractured my skull in lots of places and all the bones that support my eye socket.

I got me a helmet that comes right down to the top of my eyebrow now.

i got a nasy collection of facial skull fractures when I was 13 or so... jumping my BMW bike over a pond. This is WELL before kids wore helmets anyplace other than the track. BOOM landed right on my face. Broke my nose, and cracked both cheeks.. Ever since then a trip to the dentist that includes the "panarex"?? X-ray thing that spins around your head.. you guys know what I'm talking about, anyway.. you can still see the lines from that crash that was a LONG time ago. Only lasting mark is a nice scar on my nose from 9 stitches.

RW

Askel 10-03-2007 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gambrinus
i got a nasy collection of facial skull fractures when I was 13 or so... jumping my BMW bike over a pond.

You were jumping BMWs at 13? :eek1

:lol3

Oh yeah, so I said to myself this weekend, "Self, if they can't take more than $100 off of MSRP on that Kona Jake down at the LBS, let's just wait until the '08s are in."

Those fuckers down at the LBS, read my goddamn mind. $669.

Guess who's going 'cross racing?

Hint: His face is all fucked up.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:14 AM.