ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Gummee! 10-06-2007 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody
The MTB wheels may fit on the new frame and work mechanically, but if the new frame's geometry is designed around 700c wheels, it may not handle well with 26" wheels; I think you'll have less trail, making it twitchy. It might work, but I wouldn't count on it.

I think you'll have better luck starting with an 'XC' bike and making it work for 'urban' riding than starting with an 'urban' bike and making it work for XC riding.

So I'd say look for a hardtail with 26" wheels, designed primarily for the kind of XC riding you have in mind; When you pick one out, tell the folks at the shop that you already have off-road tires for the bike, and would like to swap out the ones it comes with for some slicks that you can use when you're riding on pavement.

:nah the outer diameter of mtn and road wheels isn't that much different. It may be slightly different, but not unsurmountable.

Disc brakes don't care what diameter the rim is, so switching back and forth ain't that bad.

For doing what the OP wants, the C-ball ain't a bad bet. The rigid forks mean you can run lighter weight wheels and not worry about independent fork movement. Put a Thudbuster/similar on it to smooth out the AL ride and you've got lots of :ricky

M

Gummee! 10-06-2007 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
I'd like to know I could just look straight down and concentrate on spinning, what if they touch?

Just like riding in a pack, you look past the moto to see what's coming. I look down on occasion to get a good fix on the bike, but overall, yer lookin past the dood riding.

M

Shuffler 10-07-2007 02:04 PM

Built.

Finally got it built and took it out for a couple hours today. This bike is fantastic...major improvement over my previous 'cross steed. :clap

Now, to actually race it next weekend will be the true christening...

http://suggs.smugmug.com/photos/205089484-L.jpg

flip18436572 10-07-2007 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shuffler

I know I don't have the bucks some of you spend on bikes, but you guys are making me want to spend money I don't have. Nice looking bike!!!!

Gummee! 10-07-2007 06:24 PM

Just went for a little *gasp!* run.

Didn't do so well... Hadta keep walking and letting my HR/breathing get back under control so I could start back up again. Was off on the 'horse trail' behind the house. I HATE running on pavement! :nah

To make matters better, my eyes were brown by the time I got home. The walk up the stairs was an exercise in self-control! :topes

M

Cat0020 10-07-2007 06:43 PM

Quote:

Now, to actually race it next weekend will be the true christening..

I don't know what cross races are like in Iowa, but I would put some larger tooth cassette cogs.. I'm not sure if the Dura Ace rear derailleur could handle a 28 or 30T cog, but it wouldn't be a bed idea to have them.

Shuffler 10-07-2007 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat0020
I don't know what cross races are like in Iowa, but I would put some larger tooth cassette cogs.. I'm not sure if the Dura Ace rear derailleur could handle a 28 or 30T cog, but it wouldn't be a bed idea to have them.

I think you could run a 28t...I've got a 12/26 mated to a 39/48 up front...I figure anytime I actually need the 26t, I should probably dismount and run :lol3

Shuffler 10-07-2007 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Just went for a little *gasp!* run.

Didn't do so well... Hadta keep walking and letting my HR/breathing get back under control so I could start back up again. Was off on the 'horse trail' behind the house. I HATE running on pavement! :nah

To make matters better, my eyes were brown by the time I got home. The walk up the stairs was an exercise in self-control! :topes

M

Running sucks! Especially on the pavement or asphalt...you should try finding a highschool track nearby that has the nice, cushy surface...running on that is actually enjoyable!

Gummee! 10-07-2007 10:29 PM

Quote:

Running sucks! Especially on the pavement or asphalt...you should try finding a highschool track nearby that has the nice, cushy surface...running on that is actually enjoyable!

:nono the scenery never changes on a track. :puke1 I'd MUCH rather run thru the woods. :nod

I enjoy running. I'm just not any good at it. :nah

M

Gummee! 10-07-2007 10:30 PM

Quote:

I think you could run a 28t...I've got a 12/26 mated to a 39/48 up front...I figure anytime I actually need the 26t, I should probably dismount and run :lol3

I was gonna ask ya about the front rings. I didn't think a 46t would fit.

M
(runnin 110mm with a 34/46 combo)

Askel 10-08-2007 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
I enjoy running. I'm just not any good at it. :nah

M

I enjoy running too. Especially the end. Nothing else feels as good when it's finally over. :lol3

Charlie Brown 10-08-2007 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
I enjoy running too. Especially the end. Nothing else feels as good when it's finally over. :lol3

Running and jogging both suck ass... But something I need to start doing again. I'm still pretty unhappy with being out of shape. I don't have a problem with being a big guy, and ill certainly never look like an abercrombie and fitch model, but it would be nice to not die of a heart attack while eating a ham sammy or shitting. Plus being slimmer than I am now increases my currently limited choices in clothing.

Zodiac 10-08-2007 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Brown
Running and jogging both suck ass... But something I need to start doing again. I'm still pretty unhappy with being out of shape. I don't have a problem with being a big guy, and ill certainly never look like an abercrombie and fitch model, but it would be nice to not die of a heart attack while eating a ham sammy or shitting. Plus being slimmer than I am now increases my currently limited choices in clothing.

I ran for many years, off and on, never took more than a 2 month break. It was the fastest way I ever lost weight (besides Parris Island), I could eat crap all day and wake up and see ribs, stomach muscles I never knew I had.

Only problem was my back. I think it agitated my lower back and my neck, to the point that I'd hear them clicking when I ran. Used to avg 30 to 40 miles a week (8 to 10 mile runs fast).

I just don't think my back could take the abuse again.

Charlie Brown 10-08-2007 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
I ran for many years, off and on, never took more than a 2 month break. It was the fastest way I ever lost weight (besides Parris Island), I could eat crap all day and wake up and see ribs, stomach muscles I never knew I had.

Only problem was my back. I think it agitated my lower back and my neck, to the point that I'd hear them clicking when I ran. Used to avg 30 to 40 miles a week (8 to 10 mile runs fast).

I just don't think my back could take the abuse again.

I'm thinking 30 minutes of calistenics and plyometrics followed by a 30-45 run/walk. Would really benefit me, and help strengthen my body for a month before really running/jogging consistently.

Charlie

Cat0020 10-08-2007 08:27 AM

Quote:

I'm telling you, 28T cog will not work with that Dura Ace rear derailleur without stressing the spring.. XTR or other longer cage derailleur are lighter and better suited for cyclocross riding.

39T chaingring is too large for cyclocross races, unless you're seasoned racer coming off a 4000+ race miles season with huge power output.
30/46 is just about right for regular joe racers used to single track mt. bike racing. If you can spin out a 46/12 gearing above 120 rpm, you're going at above 30 mph.. 48T chainring, not likely to get good use in a cross race.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Brown
I'm thinking 30 minutes of calistenics and plyometrics followed by a 30-45 run/walk. Would really benefit me, and help strengthen my body for a month before really running/jogging consistently.

Charlie

You should give rowing machines a try.. strengthen the core at minimal impact to the limbs.. similar to cycling, the higher the cadence the more fat you burn and less bulk of muscles you'd gain. Boring as hell, but effective.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:44 AM.