ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Uncle Pollo 10-03-2007 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacksan
That brings up a good point. I do about 30 miles each shift with approximately 13 pounds of extra crap strapped on my body. The result is legs of steel, the down side is I can't run for crap with my big pegs. So, how many of you folks actually bike/run?

http://inlinethumb50.webshots.com/14...425x425Q85.jpg

I cannot enjoy walking anymore.

Anything under 8 miles an hour is slow motion, dammit :baldy

blacksan 10-03-2007 06:12 PM

I can strap on my 75lb weight vest and do a 10K forced march without out water, but can't run past a 4 year old.:cry

nomiles 10-03-2007 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldy
I'm actually entering the lottery for WS100 this year with the working assumption I won't get in.

Two good friends are trustees on the WS board of directors, maybe we can rig the lottery. :lol3

How about the Quadruple Dipsea Nov. 24th. it will be the 25th running. 28.4 miles that are worse than any 50 :evil get over the Thanksgiving turkey. :D

http://www.run100s.com/images/QD1.jpg

The RD is a WS trustee and just bought Ultrarunning Magazine. :evil :D

flip18436572 10-03-2007 07:06 PM

Quote:

So, how many of you folks actually bike/run?

I bike, run, swim, racquetball, tennis, golf, basketball, weight lift, elliptical, treadmill walks, etc.....

Too bad I am still a CLYDESDALE. I have lost 100 pounds, but I still need to lose another 40 to meet my goal.

blacksan 10-03-2007 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flip18436572
I bike, run, swim, racquetball, tennis, golf, basketball, weight lift, elliptical, treadmill walks, etc.....

Too bad I am still a CLYDESDALE. I have lost 100 pounds, but I still need to lose another 40 to meet my goal.

Ok, Mr "Smarty Pants". I would be right there with you, but I am so phecking old I just requested medical records that went back too 1968.:ksteve

Askel 10-03-2007 07:14 PM

Quote:

I am cursed with wide feet and have a fit locating wide width shoes. Do any of y'all have that problem? If so what shoe have you found to overcome it?

I've been pretty happy with my Pearl Izumi MTB shoes.

flip18436572 10-03-2007 07:18 PM

Quote:

Ok, Mr "Smarty Pants". I would be right there with you, but I am so phecking old I just requested medical records that went back too 1968.:ksteve

I am 43, soon to be 44. Old to some, young to others. I let myself go really bad and my body was paying for it. Now I am trying to change all of that. Changed my lifestyle, and it is helping.

BTW, I hate running and always have. But, I set a goal of doing an olympic distance triathlon in 2008, so running is something I have to do to be able to finish the race.

My oldest daughters boyfriend is a cross country runner. One of his shirts says: "Our sport is your sports punishment." Maybe that is why I hated running, as we were always in trouble during basketball, football, baseball, tennis. :D

blacksan 10-03-2007 07:30 PM

Quote:

I am 43, soon to be 44. Old to some, young to others. I let myself go really bad and my body was paying for it. Now I am trying to change all of that. Changed my lifestyle, and it is helping.

BTW, I hate running and always have. But, I set a goal of doing an olympic distance triathlon in 2008, so running is something I have to do to be able to finish the race.

My oldest daughters boyfriend is a cross country runner. One of his shirts says: "Our sport is your sports punishment." Maybe that is why I hated running, as we were always in trouble during basketball, football, baseball, tennis. :D

Oh yah,....never mind.:lol3 Shit, I was doing bicycle crunches and jumping rope today and my feeble ass was clicking so loud my deaf friend was asking where all the noise was coming from.:cry

dragoon 10-03-2007 07:34 PM

Quote:

Clydes rock! :super :super

I like to adventure race. Have a 12 hr one coming up in November :arg

Uncle Pollo 10-03-2007 07:42 PM

You guys are way too competitive for me

I only sprint against cars from light to light.

That being said, I never tried a velodrome.

I think THAT would be fun!

Gummee! 10-03-2007 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don_Alejo
I only sprint against cars from light to light.

That being said, I never tried a velodrome.

I think THAT would be fun!

Y'all have one somewhere down thataway. Frisco I do believe.

Its about the hardest thing I've done on two wheels, but the most fun at the same time. The only thing harder is cross. :ricky

Kewl thing about track racing is that you generally have 3-4 races/session. If something don't work this time, try something else next time. If it don't work, try something else. Lots of chances to try different racing strategies. :thumb

Just remember: Never, EVER stop pedaling!

M

Uncle Pollo 10-03-2007 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Y'all have one somewhere down thataway. Frisco I do believe.

Its about the hardest thing I've done on two wheels, but the most fun at the same time. The only thing harder is cross. :ricky

Kewl thing about track racing is that you generally have 3-4 races/session. If something don't work this time, try something else next time. If it don't work, try something else. Lots of chances to try different racing strategies. :thumb

Just remember: Never, EVER stop pedaling!

M

When I lived in PA the city of Downingtown had a velodrome planned ... but I had to move away to start my new job.

I understand that one must aquire a license, or take clases, to race on a velodrome ....right?

:ear

gambrinus 10-03-2007 08:59 PM

I used to ride at the Encino Velodrome when we lived in LA They had a "beginner" night where any schmuck could show up for the quickie class and they'd turn you loose on one of the track's "loaner" bikes. The most fun you can imagine... just a crazy good time.

RW

Askel 10-04-2007 03:56 AM

http://www.cyclerscafe.com/Portals/7...JAKEHeader.jpg

This thing is fuckin' blast. :clap

For a 56cm bike, it's huge. I feel like I'm riding around on a monster truck. Which sort of encourages me to do some monster truck style antics. Lets hope those wheels are as strong as they look. :eek1

I think it's knary who always encourages us n00bs to get 105 or better components- now I know why. The crunchgrindcrunchBANG of the 8 speed Tiagra/Sora setup is rather charming in a "glad I've got something better to ride when I get sick of this" sort of way.

Oh, and Don- I dragged it and my battle scarred face to a couple of bars and coffee houses last night. No dice. The 18-39 female demographic decided to stay in for fear of capitulating to such an intense specimen of manhood as yours truly. :lol3

flip18436572 10-04-2007 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel

I don't know if it is the picture, but the wheels on that bike look hugenormus.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:05 PM.