ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Gummee! 10-07-2007 07:24 PM

Just went for a little *gasp!* run.

Didn't do so well... Hadta keep walking and letting my HR/breathing get back under control so I could start back up again. Was off on the 'horse trail' behind the house. I HATE running on pavement! :nah

To make matters better, my eyes were brown by the time I got home. The walk up the stairs was an exercise in self-control! :topes

M

Cat0020 10-07-2007 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shuffler
Now, to actually race it next weekend will be the true christening..

I don't know what cross races are like in Iowa, but I would put some larger tooth cassette cogs.. I'm not sure if the Dura Ace rear derailleur could handle a 28 or 30T cog, but it wouldn't be a bed idea to have them.

Shuffler 10-07-2007 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat0020
I don't know what cross races are like in Iowa, but I would put some larger tooth cassette cogs.. I'm not sure if the Dura Ace rear derailleur could handle a 28 or 30T cog, but it wouldn't be a bed idea to have them.

I think you could run a 28t...I've got a 12/26 mated to a 39/48 up front...I figure anytime I actually need the 26t, I should probably dismount and run :lol3

Shuffler 10-07-2007 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Just went for a little *gasp!* run.

Didn't do so well... Hadta keep walking and letting my HR/breathing get back under control so I could start back up again. Was off on the 'horse trail' behind the house. I HATE running on pavement! :nah

To make matters better, my eyes were brown by the time I got home. The walk up the stairs was an exercise in self-control! :topes

M

Running sucks! Especially on the pavement or asphalt...you should try finding a highschool track nearby that has the nice, cushy surface...running on that is actually enjoyable!

Gummee! 10-07-2007 11:29 PM

Quote:

Running sucks! Especially on the pavement or asphalt...you should try finding a highschool track nearby that has the nice, cushy surface...running on that is actually enjoyable!

:nono the scenery never changes on a track. :puke1 I'd MUCH rather run thru the woods. :nod

I enjoy running. I'm just not any good at it. :nah

M

Gummee! 10-07-2007 11:30 PM

Quote:

I think you could run a 28t...I've got a 12/26 mated to a 39/48 up front...I figure anytime I actually need the 26t, I should probably dismount and run :lol3

I was gonna ask ya about the front rings. I didn't think a 46t would fit.

M
(runnin 110mm with a 34/46 combo)

Askel 10-08-2007 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
I enjoy running. I'm just not any good at it. :nah

M

I enjoy running too. Especially the end. Nothing else feels as good when it's finally over. :lol3

Charlie Brown 10-08-2007 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Askel
I enjoy running too. Especially the end. Nothing else feels as good when it's finally over. :lol3

Running and jogging both suck ass... But something I need to start doing again. I'm still pretty unhappy with being out of shape. I don't have a problem with being a big guy, and ill certainly never look like an abercrombie and fitch model, but it would be nice to not die of a heart attack while eating a ham sammy or shitting. Plus being slimmer than I am now increases my currently limited choices in clothing.

Zodiac 10-08-2007 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Brown
Running and jogging both suck ass... But something I need to start doing again. I'm still pretty unhappy with being out of shape. I don't have a problem with being a big guy, and ill certainly never look like an abercrombie and fitch model, but it would be nice to not die of a heart attack while eating a ham sammy or shitting. Plus being slimmer than I am now increases my currently limited choices in clothing.

I ran for many years, off and on, never took more than a 2 month break. It was the fastest way I ever lost weight (besides Parris Island), I could eat crap all day and wake up and see ribs, stomach muscles I never knew I had.

Only problem was my back. I think it agitated my lower back and my neck, to the point that I'd hear them clicking when I ran. Used to avg 30 to 40 miles a week (8 to 10 mile runs fast).

I just don't think my back could take the abuse again.

Charlie Brown 10-08-2007 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
I ran for many years, off and on, never took more than a 2 month break. It was the fastest way I ever lost weight (besides Parris Island), I could eat crap all day and wake up and see ribs, stomach muscles I never knew I had.

Only problem was my back. I think it agitated my lower back and my neck, to the point that I'd hear them clicking when I ran. Used to avg 30 to 40 miles a week (8 to 10 mile runs fast).

I just don't think my back could take the abuse again.

I'm thinking 30 minutes of calistenics and plyometrics followed by a 30-45 run/walk. Would really benefit me, and help strengthen my body for a month before really running/jogging consistently.

Charlie

Cat0020 10-08-2007 09:27 AM

Quote:

I'm telling you, 28T cog will not work with that Dura Ace rear derailleur without stressing the spring.. XTR or other longer cage derailleur are lighter and better suited for cyclocross riding.

39T chaingring is too large for cyclocross races, unless you're seasoned racer coming off a 4000+ race miles season with huge power output.
30/46 is just about right for regular joe racers used to single track mt. bike racing. If you can spin out a 46/12 gearing above 120 rpm, you're going at above 30 mph.. 48T chainring, not likely to get good use in a cross race.

Quote:

I'm thinking 30 minutes of calistenics and plyometrics followed by a 30-45 run/walk. Would really benefit me, and help strengthen my body for a month before really running/jogging consistently.

Charlie

You should give rowing machines a try.. strengthen the core at minimal impact to the limbs.. similar to cycling, the higher the cadence the more fat you burn and less bulk of muscles you'd gain. Boring as hell, but effective.

Askel 10-08-2007 09:35 AM

Quote:

I think I'd rather die of a heart attack than regularly run. :lol3

It's cheap and easy to do, but it's just so damn boring and in my weight class, really beats on my joints.

I burn way more calories on the bike, simply because I'm willing to spend more time on it. Add in my regular swimming, weight lifting, and hiking, I can probably do a 5 mile run in a not totally embarrassing time at any given moment. I figure that's good enough. :dunno

Mercury264 10-08-2007 09:40 AM

I use the treadmill at the local Y - they have TV's to watch and quite frankly that is the ONLY way I run nowadays.

Good weather is coming to an end here, so I see more running on my horizon.

Queen 10-08-2007 10:11 AM

SWMBO just got a huge promotion to Department Head of the largest department in the University Library...I can tell she's stressed because she's spending endless hours on the treadmill. She starts out wandering around muttering and looking stressed/freaked/pissed, then she heads off to the exercise room and I hear thumpthumpthumpthumpthump for an hours or so, then she comes out all sweaty and happy. I think running must be good for something. :lol3

Dbear 10-08-2007 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queen
SWMBO just got a huge promotion to Department Head of the largest department in the University Library...I can tell she's stressed because she's spending endless hours on the treadmill. She starts out wandering around muttering and looking stressed/freaked/pissed, then she heads off to the exercise room and I hear thumpthumpthumpthumpthump for an hours or so, then she comes out all sweaty and happy. I think running must be good for something. :lol3

You sure she's on the treadmill and not just whomping her head against the wall?

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:32 PM.