ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Homey 10-11-2007 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
WAY too much $$!

Yes, they're nice bikes, but... :nono

I'm looking at sub $1000 stuff. :nod

M

Buy a sub $1000 bike, get a sub $1000 ride...being a sprinter and all...might as well put a blinky light on it. :thumb

ThomD 10-11-2007 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homey
Yeah Gummeee, you have to broaden your horizons! Racing throught the night is a hoot! Of course the reflective tape and little blinky light adds soo much weight...it probably slows us down at least .000001mph. :thumb



http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ofDSC03676.jpg

Not much of a view for your stoker there.:D

Congrats on the course record.

Quote:

The 508 was pretty tough this year.
So, uh, when exactly is racing 508 miles NOT tough?

flip18436572 10-11-2007 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homey
Buy a sub $1000 bike, get a sub $1000 ride...being a sprinter and all...might as well put a blinky light on it. :thumb

I think I will probably stick with a sub $1000.00 ride the rest of my life. That is a lot of money to spend, unless you make a lot of money.

Homey 10-11-2007 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomD
Not much of a view for your stoker there.:D

Congrats on the course record.


So, uh, when exactly is racing 508 miles NOT tough?

She mentioned she couldn't see much....


This was my seventh Furnace Creek 508 so I'm looking at it in relative terms.

Homey 10-11-2007 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flip18436572
I think I will probably stick with a sub $1000.00 ride the rest of my life. That is a lot of money to spend, unless you make a lot of money.

That may be the right decision for you. It really depends on how much time you spend on your bike and what you use it for. For me it's more than worth it to spend whatever $ I need to get exactly what I need.

gambrinus 10-11-2007 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat0020
I've seen back to back recumbent tandems that cruise at 30+ mph speed easily (with lower aerodynamic drag than regular tandems).. of course the riders on the recumbent tandem have lot of pracrtice and training.

http://www.velomobiling.net/albums/T...ck59.sized.jpg

http://www.velomobiling.net/modules....view_album.php

The only thing even close to this that I could ever envision myself on is one of the Greenspeed or Catrike tadpole tandems... To each their own I guess.

RW

Uncle Pollo 10-11-2007 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homey
Buy a sub $1000 bike, get a sub $1000 ride...being a sprinter and all...might as well put a blinky light on it. :thumb

I have a luggage rack and panniers on my sub 1k bike. Is that wrong?

zippy 10-11-2007 09:30 AM

my new ride
 
http://dhmc.smugmug.com/gallery/864117#206837241-L-LB



I am unable to get this picture to post ..... Couldn't resist the urge to try a fixed gear.

ThomD 10-11-2007 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy
http://dhmc.smugmug.com/gallery/864117#206837241-L-LB



I am unable to get this picture to post ..... Couldn't resist the urge to try a fixed gear.

http://dhmc.smugmug.com/photos/206837241-L.jpg

Here you go. Cool chain.

zippy 10-11-2007 09:41 AM

thanks ThomD !
 
The bike is stock except the pedals and handlebars. The bars it came with were only 16" wide , they called them messenger bars.
Took about 4 rides to get used to not coasting. Was really noticable when rolling over speed bumps or pot holes where I would normally stand and coast.
Only one fall up to now. And that was an Artie Johnson tip over at 1/2 mph. :D



oh yeah I forgot I took the rear brake off as well

Uncle Pollo 10-11-2007 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomD

COOL!!! LOVE THE COLOUR!!!

Enjoy it ... I know you will.

Uncle Pollo 10-11-2007 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippy
The bike is stock except the pedals and handlebars. The bars it came with were only 16" wide , they called them messenger bars.
Took about 4 rides to get used to not coasting. Was really noticable when rolling over speed bumps or pot holes where I would normally stand and coast.
Only one fall up to now. And that was an Artie Johnson tip over at 1/2 mph. :D

Soon you will be bunny-hopping curbs ... :jose

flip18436572 10-11-2007 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homey
That may be the right decision for you. It really depends on how much time you spend on your bike and what you use it for. For me it's more than worth it to spend whatever $ I need to get exactly what I need.

I don't race, or maybe I should say I don't race at this time. But I have over $1000 in three bikes and I think that is a lot of money. Two of them are comfort/hybrid bikes for me to ride with the wife and one is my road bike for me to get in better physical shape with. Maybe down the road I may spend more than $1000 on a bike, but I would really have to see the difference and feel the difference to even think about it and then I would probably talk myself out of it. Unless I win the lottery, then I might change my mind.

Gummee! 10-11-2007 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homey
Buy a sub $1000 bike, get a sub $1000 ride...being a sprinter and all...might as well put a blinky light on it. :thumb

Trick is, I lust after the high $$ stuff, but my wallet has a hard time with em! So I'm looking for stuff from the era when I started riding that were garage queens all their lives! OR the actual manf of the nifty carbon frames people are paying big bux for . Like Pedal Force for example.

I know its :norton, but that's me for ya!

M

Gummee! 10-11-2007 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flip18436572
I think I will probably stick with a sub $1000.00 ride the rest of my life. That is a lot of money to spend, unless you make a lot of money.

You say that now...

:evil

Its an insidious disease. If yer happy on sub $1k bikes, do yerself a favor and don't test ride anything every again. :nod DAMHIK

M


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015