ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Queen 10-08-2007 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dbear
You sure she's on the treadmill and not just whomping her head against the wall?

Could be, I better check the drywall in there. :lol3

Gummee! 10-08-2007 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury264
I use the treadmill at the local Y - they have TV's to watch and quite frankly that is the ONLY way I run nowadays.

Good weather is coming to an end here, so I see more running on my horizon.

Basically, running's been my usual winter/cross training sport. Running thru the woods in the snow, running thru the woods in the rain, and running thru the woods in the sun (see the trend?) are all :thumb I really, really don't like running on pavement unless its absolutely necessary. :nono
'Course that's why hashing's so fun too! :nod Its running, but not really at the same time. :nod You hafta think while yer doing it, so it ain't boring. Just plodding along? Yup. :snore Hashing is a lot of :ricky :scratch :ricky :dunno turn around and go back a bit and :confused more :ricky and finally :freaky What's not to love?

M

Flaco 10-08-2007 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat0020
I'm telling you, 28T cog will not work with that Dura Ace rear derailleur without stressing the spring.. XTR or other longer cage derailleur are lighter and better suited for cyclocross riding.

39T chaingring is too large for cyclocross races, unless you're seasoned racer coming off a 4000+ race miles season with huge power output.
30/46 is just about right for regular joe racers used to single track mt. bike racing. If you can spin out a 46/12 gearing above 120 rpm, you're going at above 30 mph.. 48T chainring, not likely to get good use in a cross race.

You hear that Shuffles? You regular joe racer?:lol3 You obviously don't know what you're doing with those pinched seat stays.

39T is too much...and don't stress the spring when you get to Iowa.

Get it right.

Flaco

elchulopadre 10-08-2007 04:25 PM

Today was my first time on the bike since the race (2 weeks). Sounds like a lot, but one week was recoup, and last week I was on a biz trip. I did manage to swim and run a few times.

It SUCKED. For starters, there was a 12-hour delay as I realized that my pump was nowhere to be found. I suspect it's in the transition area in Disney World, where the tri was :bluduh :baldy

So this afternoon I bought a new pump. It does its job just fine, but I miss my old one. This one does a long hissy number when I disconnect it from the valve - makes it sound like I totally fucked up and blew out the tube. The old tube just did a loud pop, as though it were saying 'my work here is done, now feck off'.

Anyway, twelve hours after the original schedule, I hopped on the bike. The goal was an ambitious 30 miles (my usual loop, twice), but apparently it gets dark early now :bluduh. On top of that, the breeze was super stiff, and the idjit cagers were out in full force. I only managed one loop - probably just as well, as I'm supposed to run tomorrow morning.

All this talk about running - I'm signed up for a marathon in January, also through Team In Training (the organization who organized my entire triathlon thing). And I discovered last week that the shoes I ran my triathlon in are officially dead - they lost their cushion and a few tread blocks are completely worn off.

Running still sucks. Swimming and biking are way more fun. Why do I set myself up for such things? :baldy :lol3

DoctorIt 10-08-2007 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat0020
39T chaingring is too large for cyclocross races, unless you're seasoned racer coming off a 4000+ race miles season with huge power output.
30/46 is just about right for regular joe racers used to single track mt. bike racing. If you can spin out a 46/12 gearing above 120 rpm, you're going at above 30 mph.. 48T chainring, not likely to get good use in a cross race.

I disagree.

I also think front derailleurs are useless for (New England) cross. I used to run a 39 up front with a Spot chain guide (very light, simple), long-cage derailleur on the back with 12/29 cassette (10spd Campy, Chorus). If you're spinning out at 39/12, the course sucks, and if you can't push a 39/29, then you should have the bike on your shoulder.

http://www.erikm.net/photos/133725901-M-1.jpg

http://www.erikm.net/photos/133725696-M-1.jpg

http://www.erikm.net/photos/133726351-M-1.jpg

Boston Crozz 4 eva.

Flaco 10-08-2007 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorIt
I disagree.

I also think front derailleurs are useless for (New England) cross. I used to run a 39 up front with a Spot chain guide (very light, simple), long-cage derailleur on the back with 12/29 cassette (10spd Campy, Centaur/Daytona stuff, no need for anything fancier for cross). If you're spinning out at 39/12, the course sucks, and if you can't push a 39/29, then you should have the bike on your shoulder.

Boston Crozz 4 eva.

To me, CX is about not having to think too much about gearing. I used to run straight 39/52 and loved having the 52 available even if I only used it for the last 100 meters. If one is doing a road race with a huge climb then making sure a low enough gear is available is important...but for 'cross, it really doesn't matter.

I've seen many racers running the set up you describe.

Travis Brown used to pretty much dominate our local races on a single speed. I think it's much more about the motor than the gears available.

Flaco

Baldy 10-08-2007 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Baldy:

The one thing I'd like to request in the new site is a FREE flea market. RBR is charging. :bluduh

M

Yeah, same as here.

Charlie Brown 10-08-2007 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldy
Yeah, same as here.

they are too the same droids im looking for.

elchulopadre 10-08-2007 04:52 PM

Quote:

I disagree.

I also think front derailleurs are useless for (New England) cross. I used to run a 39 up front with a Spot chain guide (very light, simple), long-cage derailleur on the back with 12/29 cassette (10spd Campy, Chorus). If you're spinning out at 39/12, the course sucks, and if you can't push a 39/29, then you should have the bike on your shoulder.

http://www.erikm.net/photos/133725901-M-1.jpg

http://www.erikm.net/photos/133725696-M-1.jpg

http://www.erikm.net/photos/133726351-M-1.jpg

Boston Crozz 4 eva.

:wave

Ooooooh... shiny! That's a sharp-lookin' bike!

How's the spring in oz?

DoctorIt 10-08-2007 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elchulopadre
:wave

Ooooooh... shiny! That's a sharp-lookin' bike!

How's the spring in oz?

thanks, I miss it, it stayed home in the states. the photos don't really do it justice, it was a dark blue metallic, with a pearl clearcoat. what a beauty on a sunny day! I passed it on to a friend to use while I'm down here.

Spring is hot, wet, and as of yesterday, stormy. You guys ain't seen lightning till you've been in southeast queensland. wow!!! :eek1

Homey 10-08-2007 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don_Alejo
Someone did it on a fixed gear :deal (did not win, but it is a feat on itself)

That's Terry Lentz, he lives just down the road from me. He's very fast! I know you'd like him Don, he's your kind of guy!

I just got back in town. We set the Mixed Two Tandem course record so I'm pretty stoked!!!

Climbing Townes Pass on a tandem, 10 miles of consistant 6%-13% grade is priceless!!! The consistant 15-30mph headwinds for the first 250 miles were pretty special too...

Gummee! 10-08-2007 06:25 PM

Quote:

thanks, I miss it, it stayed home in the states. the photos don't really do it justice, it was a dark blue metallic, with a pearl clearcoat. what a beauty on a sunny day! I passed it on to a friend to use while I'm down here.

Spring is hot, wet, and as of yesterday, stormy. You guys ain't seen lightning till you've been in southeast queensland. wow!!! :eek1

Sounds a lot like the track bike I just sold.

:tb

M

flip18436572 10-09-2007 04:43 AM

Expensive bikes

Anyone looking for some expensive (overpriced?) bicycles. There are not any pictures. This is NOT my stuff and I do NOT know who this is.

Here is the link:

http://omaha.craigslist.org/bik/443702484.html

Here is the copy and paste:

I am unloading my extra bikes. Each has been ridden < 200 miles and meticulously maintained by professional mechanics. Each of these bikes is as beautiful a piece of art as it is machinery. I wish I had room to keep them all. Further specifications and pictures available upon request.

Colnago C50 ($5700) - Blue carbon 57 cm, 10 speed Shimano Dura Ace, Ritchey carbon stem/handlebars, Mavic Ksyrium SL wheelset

De Rosa ($4200) - 1994 classic hand welded steel frame (red) 58 cm, 9 speed Campagnolo Record, Cinelli stem/handlebars, Campagnolo Record wheelset

Merlin Fortius ($5500) - Black titanium M frame (55.5 cm), 10 speed Campagnolo Record carbon, FSA carbon stem/handlebars, Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset

Cat0020 10-09-2007 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaco
You hear that Shuffles? You regular joe racer?:lol3 You obviously don't know what you're doing with those pinched seat stays.
Flaco

Please enlighten me, what does pinched seat stays have to do with cyclocross gearing?

Shuffler 10-09-2007 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaco

39T is too much...and don't stress the spring when you get to Iowa.

Get it right.

Flaco

Pinched chainstays are bad. I'm running the wrong gearing. My feelings are hurt. What else am I doing wrong? I should just quit racing since I can't get it right. :cry

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:03 PM.