ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Gummee! 10-10-2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorIt
Holy overthinking things! :lol3

Being true to your local shop is cool, but hey, if the shoe fits and your LBS doesn't carry shoes, buy it! And for the same reasoning, what does it matter if its not the most current model? SPD-type shoes are only slightly pedal specific, the right cleat comes with the pedal (Time, Shimano, etc, will all be very nearly the same). It's not a rocket ship, just a shoe. No seriously, I'm a bicycle geek's geek, but especially if this is your first pair of road shoes, just buy the ones that you've had on your foot, fit well, and didn't break the bank.

+1

After that: Sidi Megas, Carnacs, or Rocket7s. There's really not a lot of performance difference between the good stuff and the cheep stuff, but the good stuff usually fits better and lasts longer than the cheep stuff.

But WTF do I know? I'm still runnin a pair of M210s I bought a buncha years ago! I wore out the M110s that they've replaced. Have 2 pair of Nike Poggios that I liked so much, I ended up with 3 pairs of! (bought em cheep! :D) Right now, I'm 'riding' in a pair of Pearl Izumi R3s that I got for a song workin for the company. :thumb NOT the best shoes I've ever worn for my feet but nice shoes overall. I'm thinkin about going back to some Sidis 'just 'cause.' First, I hafta have a road bike. Riding the cross bike, I'm just riding on some ATACs! :ricky

M

yater 10-10-2007 04:57 PM

My LBS closed down today...declared bankruptcy. It was one of two shops and my favorite by far. They didn't say a word in the previous weeks but just dropped the bomb on me today that this was the last day....I was in there to borrow their air compressor to bead a couple of new ghetto tubeless tires. I've spent $5k + at this shop in the last year and still feel guilty about showing up there with a bike decked out with xtr stuff (obviously ordered online). It's a tough business these days.

Gummee! 10-10-2007 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yater
My LBS closed down today...declared bankruptcy. It was one of two shops and my favorite by far. They didn't say a word in the previous weeks but just dropped the bomb on me today that this was the last day....I was in there to borrow their air compressor to bead a couple of new ghetto tubeless tires. I've spent $5k + at this shop in the last year and still feel guilty about showing up there with a bike decked out with xtr stuff (obviously ordered online). It's a tough business these days.

Well hell. That sux.

For you, tho, its a chance to buy the Park workstands, tools, and misc stuff at discout/fire-sale prices! :thumb

You know what they say! Every cloud has a silver lining.

M

Zodiac 10-10-2007 05:02 PM

Quote:

Holy overthinking things! :lol3

Being true to your local shop is cool, but hey, if the shoe fits and your LBS doesn't carry shoes, buy it! And for the same reasoning, what does it matter if its not the most current model? SPD-type shoes are only slightly pedal specific, the right cleat comes with the pedal (Time, Shimano, etc, will all be very nearly the same). It's not a rocket ship, just a shoe. No seriously, I'm a bicycle geek's geek, but especially if this is your first pair of road shoes, just buy the ones that you've had on your foot, fit well, and didn't break the bank.

Can't beat that advice.

I'd like to add that I find Specialized makes a really decent shoe for cheaper than most, and they fit my wide American foot better than Sidis or Diadora's ever did. I have a good pair of all leather/CF soled road shoes that I got for $110, lotta miles and they seem perfect still. Gotta pair of MTN shoes from Specialized for 60 something bucks, again very happy with them.

Regarding pedals, I always reccomend the same type for "new to clipless riders" =

Crank brothers Candys, or egg beaters.

Super easy to learn clipless on, then graduate to Looks for more support/power.

DoctorIt 10-10-2007 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
Can't beat that advice.

thanks, rare that I give really good advice :lol3

Quote:

Regarding pedals, I always reccomend the same type for "new to clipless riders" =

Crank brothers Candys, or egg beaters.

Super easy to learn clipless on, then graduate to Looks for more support/power.
I would like to add just one thing here. I agree on those brands/types being easy to learn with, however, they all have a major drawback. For folks with large, wide feet, small SPD type pedals will produce a pressure point on the ball of your foot if not accompanied by a very very stiff shoe (this usually means big buck$).

Does Performance still make a knockoff of a Look-style pedal? I remember them being very cheap. The large, traditional Look-type pedal is the widest platform I can think of, it distributes the load over the widest foot area, also, it's dead simple, so even "knockoffs" like Performance, will work just fine.

Gummee! 10-10-2007 05:28 PM

Quote:

I would like to add just one thing here. I agree on those brands/types being easy to learn with, however, they all have a major drawback. For folks with large, wide feet, small SPD type pedals will produce a pressure point on the ball of your foot if not accompanied by a very very stiff shoe (this usually means big buck$).

Does Performance still make a knockoff of a Look-style pedal? I remember them being very cheap. The large, traditional Look-type pedal is the widest platform I can think of, it distributes the load over the widest foot area, also, it's dead simple, so even "knockoffs" like Performance, will work just fine.

Yes. PBS does make a knockoff. More of the SPD-SL, but still uses the 3-bolt Look cleat.

M

Zodiac 10-10-2007 05:31 PM

Quote:

Yeah, that's what switched me to Looks too, the Crank Bros were easy but did produce a pressure point, which a beginner might not notice for sometime.

I think Nashbar/Performance still do make cheap Look knock-offs.

Although I wouldn't want to see a new to clipless rider try and use Looks/Look type pedals. They would miss it 50% more because they're one sided, and damn those things can be slippy, even after you're good at them...

Gummee! 10-10-2007 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
Yeah, that's what switched me to Looks too, the Crank Bros were easy but did produce a pressure point, which a beginner might not notice for sometime.

I think Nashbar/Performance still do make cheap Look knock-offs.

Although I wouldn't want to see a new to clipless rider try and use Looks/Look type pedals. They would miss it 50% more because they're one sided, and damn those things can be slippy, even after you're good at them...

I've been riding my ATACs on the road and have noticed the same pressure point. Thru CF soled MTN shoes no less! :eek1

If it weren't such a PITA to fit the road pedals/dirt pedals/road pedals/etc depending on the riding I'm doing, I'd just stick with the SPD-SLs. :nod

M

flip18436572 10-10-2007 07:06 PM

Here comes the Newb. English is my first language, ok really my only language, and none of you are speaking english.

The bike tech I talked to about the Shimano shoes said I could only use three Shimano pedals/clips and they were the 540 that I mentioned and to other model numbers that were still Shimano, but they were really expensive as in $159. and $179.

How do I know what shoe will work with what pedal/cleat. Obviously this tech was not talking the same thing you guys are.

He told me if I went with Look, I would have to get a different shoe, and if I went with the egg beaters that I would need a different shoe for that.

Is there a bike shoe for dummies web site. Sorry to waste your time, but I am really confused now.

Zodiac 10-10-2007 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flip18436572
Here comes the Newb. English is my first language, ok really my only language, and none of you are speaking english.

The bike tech I talked to about the Shimano shoes said I could only use three Shimano pedals/clips and they were the 540 that I mentioned and to other model numbers that were still Shimano, but they were really expensive as in $159. and $179.

How do I know what shoe will work with what pedal/cleat. Obviously this tech was not talking the same thing you guys are.

He told me if I went with Look, I would have to get a different shoe, and if I went with the egg beaters that I would need a different shoe for that.

Is there a bike shoe for dummies web site. Sorry to waste your time, but I am really confused now.

Any pedal set you buy will come with a set of cleats.

99% of most shoes will have either 3 hole or two holed, bottomed sole.

The two hole will fit (I'm pretty damn sure) any two holed cleat (like Crank Bros, Shimano, etc)

The 3 hole shoe will fit any Look type pedal cleat (system).

I suggest going to a bike shop, picking out a cheap but good pair of 2 hole soled shoes, then buying Crank Brothers candys, or easy two sided Shimano pedal that comes with a two hole cleat.

Take the Looks out of the equaion for now, unless you're very good at clipping in.

Gummee! 10-10-2007 07:12 PM

Thinkin about building a new road bike.

Want something different. I'm debating between something like a Time/Look/lugged CF or a lugged steel frame. :scratch I'm not too hip on the CF wundermachines that everyone seems to be :tb ing after. My preference is towards:
http://images.velonews.com/images/news/9452.13717.t.jpg

Bikes of this era. Was perusing ebay for a bit just now. There don't tend to be the 'odd brands' advertised at the moment. Looking for something NOT Trek/Schwinn/etc. Merckx? Maybe. Colnago? perhaps. Way pricey tho. :bluduh I'd love to have another Concorde. :nod Loved that bike. Ditto with another Battaglin. Didn't try the Scapins we were importing, but they looked good too. Maybe a little builder? Brew? Teesdale?

Optimally, I'd love to build my own bikes from the tubes up. :nod I don't know how to weld, braze, or even own a frame jig, so it'd be a tough thing to do. :baldy One of these days!

:scratch

M

Uncle Pollo 10-10-2007 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!

Bikes of this era.

M

I dream of 1980's steel lugged colnago frames:cry

Zodiac 10-10-2007 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Thinkin about building a new road bike.

Want something different. I'm debating between something like a Time/Look/lugged CF or a lugged steel frame. :scratch I'm not too hip on the CF wundermachines that everyone seems to be :tb ing after. My preference is towards:
http://images.velonews.com/images/news/9452.13717.t.jpg

Bikes of this era. Was perusing ebay for a bit just now. There don't tend to be the 'odd brands' advertised at the moment. Looking for something NOT Trek/Schwinn/etc. Merckx? Maybe. Colnago? perhaps. Way pricey tho. :bluduh I'd love to have another Concorde. :nod Loved that bike. Ditto with another Battaglin. Didn't try the Scapins we were importing, but they looked good too. Maybe a little builder? Brew? Teesdale?

Optimally, I'd love to build my own bikes from the tubes up. :nod I don't know how to weld, braze, or even own a frame jig, so it'd be a tough thing to do. :baldy One of these days!

M

I had a beautiful steel double butted Lotus back in early 80's, Campy parts, god I wish I could find that thing, still forgot what I even did with it...

Gummee! 10-10-2007 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don_Alejo
I dream of 1980's steel lugged colnago frames:cry

There's a few on ebay...

:evil

For not much. They're older'n I'm looking for so have at em! I'd love to have a Master Olympic from about 88-ish in the Blue Decor scheme with either Superbe Pro or modern drivetrain. :tb :tb :tb Teammates of mine had some when I was in skool. Did I mention :tb ?

M

Homey 10-10-2007 09:10 PM

Here's the ulitmate Ultra racing Tandem! It's a hand layed Carbon Fiber Calfee with Topolino AC29 wheels, FSA carbon cranks and a mix of Shimano components. It's very light and very fast!!!

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...10-6-07051.jpg

Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:15 AM.