ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Gummee! 07-11-2006 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinman
I still think those low spoke count (20-24) wheels are a BS gimmick and not as tough as the above mentioned 32 spokers on a good Mavic Open Pro (or equivalent) rim. I have no time for fancy gram shaving crap that makes hardly any difference and needs constant maintenance. I got an alloy Trek with Ultegra Shimano which is all you need for anything this side of the le Tour, but there's any number of bikes equal or better that I'd happily ride also.

Sure of that are ya?

I'm gonna disagree, but am smart enough to know that your mind's made up and nothing I'm gonna say is gonna change it.

M

Gummee! 07-11-2006 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
Thanks for the advice. Would definitely go with clinchers too, does anyone but track racers use sew ups anymore?

:wave

Cross racers! My daily use wheels on my cross bike are still tubular!

(I just sold off my last pair of tubular road wheels. Didn't ride em enough to see carting them around the country for X years. I STILL miss the feel of my Zipp 404s at speed!)

M

Gummee! 07-11-2006 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaddBrit

BAH! and here I was thinkin you was a fart smeller!

Trek = Blech! :puke2

I've had a series of Specialized bikes over the years. They work for me. Also had a bunch of steel bikes, and a few other AL bikes. I still want to try out a CF ride that ain't a 5200 with an aftermarket fork. Rode a buddy's and thought it rode like a truck.

IF you know yer size, a Tommasso (ebay special) isn't a bad frame. Made in Taiwan with everybody else's stuff...

If y'all have specific questions, feel free to PM me. I was in the bike business for ~7-8 years. Wrench, sales, management.

M

Baldy 07-11-2006 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bert
I almost bought one of those but ended up with a full carbon-fiber Trek Pilot 5.0. It gives me a more relaxed riding position and the carbon acts like a shock absorber.

+1 My friends have them and love 'em. Day in, day out fitness where the bike doesn't rock your world too much.

I ride a Trek Madone and I like it. If I had to do it again I'd prolly buy an Orbea.

Gummee! 07-11-2006 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldy
+1 My friends have them and love 'em. Day in, day out fitness where the bike doesn't rock your world too much.

I ride a Trek Madone and I like it. If I had to do it again I'd prolly buy an Orbea.

Hey! that reminds me...

You completely recovered from that little off you had a while back?

M

ThomD 07-11-2006 01:07 PM

If you are going to get a bike, at least get a nice one. Rivendell, with all the farkles.

http://tandemhearts.com/bike/blue-ra...right-side.jpg

Caffeind 07-11-2006 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomD
If you are going to get a bike, at least get a nice one. Rivendell, with all the farkles.

http://tandemhearts.com/bike/blue-ra...right-side.jpg

*GASP*

Is that STEEL?

*faints dead away*

Zodiac 07-11-2006 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k12steve
Lemond . . . after the slagging he's done to Armstrong I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire!!!

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/10113.0.html

OBTW, new bikes are kewl but I'll keep my 12 yo Bontrager.. steel is gooooood :evil

He definitely showed some poor sportsmanship with that but you can't take this away from him =

LeMond rode his first Tour de France in 1984 and finished third. In the 1985 Tour the managers of his La Vie Claire team ordered the 24-year-old LeMond to ride in support of his team captain Bernard Hinault who was leading the race and was suffering from injuries sustained in a crash caused by other riders, instead of riding to win the race. LeMond finished second, 1:42 behind Hinault, who was able to claim his fifth Tour victory. LeMond later asserted in an interview that the team management and his coach Paul Koechli had lied to him during a crucial stage, telling him that Hinault was close behind him when in fact Hinault lagged LeMond by over three minutes.

A year later in 1986, Hinault and LeMond were co-leaders of the La Vie Claire team. By stage 12, Hinault had built up a five-minute lead over LeMond, but he cracked in the mountains the next day and soon LeMond was in the lead. Although the two riders crested the Alpe d'Huez together in a show of unity, it was clear that Hinault had been riding aggressively against his teammate. LeMond ultimately took the yellow jersey that year but felt betrayed by Hinault, who had publicly promised to help him win in 1986 in gratitude for LeMond's sacrifice in 1985.

Disaster struck LeMond while turkey hunting in California, April 20, 1987, when his brother-in-law accidentally discharged his shotgun, striking LeMond in the chest just over two months before the 1987 Tour de France was to begin. LeMond missed the following two Tours while recovering, also undergoing surgery for appendicitis and for tendonitis in his leg.

At the 1989 Tour de France, with 37 shotgun pellets remaining in his body (including some in the lining of his heart), LeMond was hoping only to finish in the top 20. Heading into the final stage, however, an individual time trial finishing in Paris, LeMond was in second place overall. He was 50 seconds behind Laurent Fignon, who had won the Tour in 1983 and 1984. LeMond rode the time trial using then-novel aero bars, which gave him a significant aerodynamic advantage, to beat Fignon by 58 seconds to claim his second yellow jersey with a final victory margin of 8 seconds – the closest in the Tour's history. As LeMond danced in victory on the Champs-Élysées, Fignon sat and wept. Although he did not say so until several days later, Fignon had been suffering from saddle sores for several days and had barely been able to finish the previous day's stage. LeMond's comeback was confirmed by winning his second World Cycling Championship road race several weeks later. LeMond was named Sports Illustrated magazine's 1989 "Sportsman of the Year", the first cyclist ever to receive the honor.
LeMond won the Tour for the third time in 1990. That year he became one of the few cyclists to win the Tour without winning any of the individual stages.

In 1992, LeMond became the first American to win the Tour DuPont, a short-lived American answer to the Tour de France that took place from 1991 to 1996. Lemond won the prologue in record time and it was his first American win since the mid-1980s. The 1992 Tour DuPont victory was Greg LeMond's last major win of his career. He developed mitochondrial myopathy, possibly resulting from his 1987 wounding, and retired from professional cycling in December 1994.

He came very close to winning 5 Tours, which for an American in those times in Europe- was a great feat.

Gummee! 07-11-2006 03:53 PM

anyone watch the stage today?

Almost another McEwan win!

M

skwidd 07-11-2006 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Sure of that are ya?

I'm gonna disagree, but am smart enough to know that your mind's made up and nothing I'm gonna say is gonna change it.

M

guess i better just toss the campy eurus g3 set on my bike,they will just fall apart anyway right?:rofl

skwidd 07-11-2006 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
I was always a fan of Lemond - incredible rider/athlete, and his comeback was unbelievable.

That said, I heard his bikes are also made in China, like everyone elses?

Are there any American made bikes anymore? I even heard Klein now makes them in China too:huh

anyone know?

my serotta was made here

patch29 07-11-2006 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomD

I've got the farkle, but not the bling. I just could not spend for the Rivendell. Surly, the KLR of bicycles (well a littler nicer than that). :augie :lol3

It has worked very well for me so far.

http://Patch29.smugmug.com/photos/9230100-M.jpg

more photos of it here for those that are interested.

skwidd 07-11-2006 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
anyone watch the stage today?

Almost another McEwan win!

M

fooker!

i had to leave for work with 20 or so miles to go.

yater 07-11-2006 04:17 PM

I have an '05 bianchi virata with full ultegra. It's dedacciai steel with carbon rear triangle and carbon fork (of course). I ride 200+ miles/week and it's an absolute joy on the Texas chip seal around here. For your use, I think you would be MUCH better with a steel bike over aluminum. My bike weighs 18.25 lbs....that's less than the allez elite so many guys around here race. If you're serious about riding, spare no expense. I can't think of a better way to spend money (including motorcycles). Also check out serrota...custom steel frames made in NY.

Flaco 07-11-2006 05:32 PM

Perry,

The verdict is in...

Get a mountain bike with a stiff rear hub, aero bars and sew ups made in taiwan by Lemond.

You'll be psyched.

Flaco

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:51 PM.