ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

MineMapper 08-22-2006 07:53 AM

I specifically bought my Volvo V70 so that I could keep one or two bikes secure inside it. When you're parking in downtown DC regularly, the best Thule or other locks in the world won't stop them from taking the bike off the racks.

knary 08-22-2006 09:33 AM

Doesn't driving your bike to your office defeat the purpose? The storing of the bike once you're there is a battle lots of people fight here in portland. One friend is still battling the building manager who likened bringing your bike in to your office as being the same as bringing in a dog. Idiot. I guess he didn't like the "dirt" the bike might bring in. My friend, in his infinite wisdom, asked if wheel chairs were allowed.

Photog 08-22-2006 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knary
Doesn't driving your bike to your office defeat the purpose? The storing of the bike once you're there is a battle lots of people fight here in portland. One friend is still battling the building manager who likened bringing your bike in to your office as being the same as bringing in a dog. Idiot. I guess he didn't like the "dirt" the bike might bring in. My friend, in his infinite wisdom, asked if wheel chairs were allowed.

:lol3

Weird, idnit? A bike perceived as "dirty" (I'm assuming it wasn't a dirt-encrusted mtb)

I used to bring my bike in for the week so I could ride at lunch (I worked long hours--no time to ride before/after work), then take it home on weekends.

I also brought my longboards in. That was cool. People thought I was weird but, hey, a few minutes on a long easy downhill at lunch has a mellowing effect.

Gummee! 08-22-2006 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caffeind
Now that doesn't make any goddamn sense. :bluduh

I tend to agree, but WTF do I know?

:scratch

Good news: got a call from the lab manager/buddy of mine asking when I can start over there. AAA can :tush as soon as I figger things out over there.

:clap

M

Gummee! 08-22-2006 10:19 AM

Quote:

When?

You're zipping down the road minding your own business when BHAM, you're wondering if you're going to survive the impact with the ground.

I can usually hear the :asshat that's coming up behind me, but not always. It makes no sense to brandish a firearm every time someone buzzes you 'cause it'd always be out!

M

knary 08-22-2006 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
I can usually hear the :asshat that's coming up behind me, but not always. It makes no sense to brandish a firearm every time someone buzzes you 'cause it'd always be out!

M

:nod
99.99% of the time, it's just someone not being as attentive as you'd like or staying a little close in heavier traffic until they see a big spot to pass.

We alerted the local media to the story of the hit and run. Whether or not they do anything with it...

Gummee! 08-22-2006 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motojedi
I'm a CLYDESDALE.

I just started racing this year. Actually about mid-season. At my first race in early July, I got the holeshot and was the first one into the woods. I then managed to sweep all the loose rocks and tree branches off the first downhill for my fellow competitors. I didn't have a broom so I used my body cuz' that's the kinda good sportsman I am. After everyone in my class passed me I managed to work my way back up to second. I've won the last two races and the final race of the season is about a mile from where I work so, barring any mechanicals I should fair well.

My friend that I go to all the races with (sport class) says I should skip beginner next year and go up to sport. I said I wanna run clydesdale again so I can win the season championship. (didn't run enough races this year):D I'll change my name to Sandy Bagger for next season.

yeah, no shit. Sandbagger extrordinaire! :lol2

I'd still race beginners next year tho. Good learning experience. Sport and higher can get seriously fast. I don't climb very well, so I basically gave up on mtb racing. The ONE race I did in Bburg was basically 'up this big-ass hill, down this big-ass hill, up the NEXT big-ass hill, down, repeat.' No thanks :nah not for me.

Crits, track, and cross is where its at for this stump. Did I mention cross season is starting soon? :rayof :wings

Fucking WOOT!

M

Caffeind 08-22-2006 10:24 AM

Quote:

M

Wear it in a holster that would make it visible to traffic approaching from behind. :lol3

Zodiac 08-22-2006 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caffeind
Wear it in a holster that would make it visible to traffic approaching from behind. :lol3

Or get one of those "POLICE" reflective vented vests....:wink:

Gummee! 08-22-2006 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photog
That's seriously screwed up.

I usually end up transporting my bikes in the back of the jeep...I just lock 'em in, lock the doors, and go. Used to loop a cable lock around my bikes when I had 'em on the roof of the Saturn. I never felt really comfortable about my bikes being out of sight. Not that I've got any expensive ones like you...if I did, that sucker would be in my office during the day, no question.

When I was working at at local TV station, I kept my mtb there since I worked night shift, and would ride local singletrack (Duke Forest) in the mornings. Sure enough, some asshat tried to steal the bike. I recovered it, but it sure as hell taught me a lesson about where I could stash it.

But for me, if there's a lot of steps from being in civvie clothes (or in bed) to getting the bike on the road, I'll skip it. So I used to just leave my bike behind my office door (I had a way to prop it vertical) with my bike duds hanging on it...and would take a ride at lunch and after work. Once that gets complicated, it takes the speed/sponteneity out of the workday ride.

Feck. I feel your pain. That's stupid.

The funniest thing is I KNOW someone's gonna complain about the bike being in the conference room with my shit hung all over it. Just wait.

I shower in the bathroom 'cause there's no shower facility in the building. THAT I'm not gonna compromise on 'cause I don't wanna smell all day. (not to mention getting an infected crotch! :eek1 )

There's not much worse than putting on wet, sweaty lycra and a helmet. Ugh. BTDT Did I mention that they want me to hang my sweaty stuff in basically a wall locker? No air. No light. No thanks!

M

skwidd 08-22-2006 10:43 AM

Quote:

:nod
99.99% of the time, it's just someone not being as attentive as you'd like or staying a little close in heavier traffic until they see a big spot to pass.

We alerted the local media to the story of the hit and run. Whether or not they do anything with it...

most of the close calls are over before you even knew they were coming,then you just flip them off and yell at them.
some around here get pissed at us because some guys take the entire lane and won't yield to cars.
we yield as far to the dirt shoulder as possible or pull over and stop completely.
had a lady pull next to me and start screaming all sorts of shit about getting off the road and she's going to run us over,when i asked her if she would rather discuss it with the sheriff in front of me or the police officer at the lead of the group she went on with her miserable and agitated journey quietly.
the guy in front of me wasn't a cop,he was a pastor at a local church just along for the ride but he got quite a laugh out of it.
i do carry a can of ink-dyed pepper spray for the agitated dog or jackass person who wants to turn my recreation into some sort of altercation just in case,hasn't gotten to that point yet.

knary,i hope your friend recovers and the jackass gets nailed to the wall.

Gummee! 08-22-2006 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skwidd
most of the close calls are over before you even knew they were coming,then you just flip them off and yell at them.
some around here get pissed at us because some guys take the entire lane and won't yield to cars.
we yield as far to the dirt shoulder as possible or pull over and stop completely.
had a lady pull next to me and start screaming all sorts of shit about getting off the road and she's going to run us over,when i asked her if she would rather discuss it with the sheriff in front of me or the police officer at the lead of the group she went on with her miserable and agitated journey quietly.
the guy in front of me wasn't a cop,he was a pastor at a local church just along for the ride but he got quite a laugh out of it.
i do carry a can of ink-dyed pepper spray for the agitated dog or jackass person who wants to turn my recreation into some sort of altercation just in case,hasn't gotten to that point yet.

knary,i hope your friend recovers and the jackass gets nailed to the wall.

The guys on BARF and SBR (a pair of Bay Area MC sites) are ALL up in arms about 'them damn cyclists that hold up traffic.' Ummm yeah. Its amazing how similarly the two groups are viewed by those not in em...

:baldy

M

MineMapper 08-22-2006 12:00 PM

Quote:

Yes and no. I'd love to ride it there too, but my 50 mile commute ain't too bike friendly (baltimore to NoVa). So I carry my bike and gear in the car most of the time, and ride when and where I can. If it's 10 miles around the airport loop, or 3 hours on the trails with my riding group, I don't care. As long as I get pedals under my feet at least 3 times a week, I stay vaguely human.

We have several folks that commute into the office and store the bikes in their workspaces. Never heard a peep about it. Guess that's a benefit of working for a crunchy granola CA software company....

motojedi 08-22-2006 12:28 PM

Quote:

Crits, track, and cross is where its at for this stump. Did I mention cross season is starting soon? :rayof :wings

Fucking WOOT!

M

We have a cyclocross series that runs from late Oct. to mid Dec. and they'll let you run a mountain bike. Which is cool cuz' I didn't really want to buy another bike for a 2 month/5 race season.

The Hilly Hundred (ranked as one of the best tour-rides in the country) is coming up in early Oct. Remeber all the winding hilly roads in Breaking Away ?:clap It's a century ride around Bloomington. (area surrounding IU)

knary 08-22-2006 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MineMapper
Yes and no. I'd love to ride it there too, but my 50 mile commute ain't too bike friendly (baltimore to NoVa). So I carry my bike and gear in the car most of the time, and ride when and where I can. If it's 10 miles around the airport loop, or 3 hours on the trails with my riding group, I don't care. As long as I get pedals under my feet at least 3 times a week, I stay vaguely human.

We have several folks that commute into the office and store the bikes in their workspaces. Never heard a peep about it. Guess that's a benefit of working for a crunchy granola CA software company....

C'mon. A 50 mile commute would only take you at least 5 hours round trip, if not more like 6 or 7 with traffic lights, etc ... :knary
:lol2

Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:30 PM.