ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

DoctorIt 01-05-2008 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
...I mean NOTHING can beat the Spring Classics for race excitement.

Indeed, but the one-day classics have a totally different dynamic than the great tours. The "rules" we talked about are a little bit different there.

sloMark 01-05-2008 04:15 PM

Thank you and I'll keep checking this:clap .

On a slight side movie note....... When I was little ( I am 37yoa) I remember my mom talking me into watching the movie "Breaking Away." Anyone seen that, it is old I think?? If I recall, it was about a poor American kid who emulated and acted like a famed bike racer from Italy, but all he had was a Free Spirit 10speed from Sears or something?

Zodiac 01-05-2008 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slogozit
Thank you and I'll keep checking this:clap .

On a slight side movie note....... When I was little ( I am 37yoa) I remember my mom talking me into watching the movie "Breaking Away." Anyone seen that, it is old I think?? If I recall, it was about a poor American kid who emulated and acted like a famed bike racer from Italy, but all he had was a Free Spirit 10speed from Sears or something?

Great flik, but he had a good road bike and was a great rider - he had a room full of trophys to prove it.(in the movie).
He wasn't poor either, just middle class (like most of us).

The cheap bike was for the one race (the little 500) Indy, and they all had the same spec bike in that race.

There's some shots of that movie early in this thread.

sloMark 01-06-2008 10:15 AM

ok, its been awhile, that sounds more like it

kamanya 01-14-2008 04:14 AM

I am an entrant into this;

The Cape Epic

Total Distance: 966km
Total Climbing: 18 529m (double Mount Everest)

Prologue
Distance: 17km
Climbing: 301m

Stage 1: Knysna - George
Distance: 123km
Climbing: 3091m

Stage 2: George - Calitzdorp
Distance: 137km
Climbing: 2518m

Stage 3: Calitzdorp - Riversdal
Distance: 133km
Climbing: 2340m

Stage 4: Riversdal Ė Swellendam
Distance: 121km
Climbing: 2620m

Stage 5: Swellendam Ė Bredasdorp
Distance: 146km
Climbing: 1819km

Stage 6: Bredasdorp Ė Hermanus
Distance: 130km
Climbing: 2095m

Stage 7: Hermanus Ė Grabouw
Distance: 91km
Climbing: 1985m

Stage 8: Grabouw Ė Lourensford
Distance: 68km
Climbing: 1760m

I have never done a multi stage race, or even a MTB race for that matter.

Starts end March.

Just a little nervous.

Jamesginther 01-14-2008 07:23 AM

Nice!!!

Wow. That's awesome. What kind of sponsership did you get, if any? I can't imagine it's a cheap race. Good luck to you!

Foot dragger 01-14-2008 07:51 AM

Kind of off topic here,but Im looking for a single speed crankset and sprocket for my Burning Man bike,Its a funky Kona yard sale special but worked great out there.Its still got the old style bottom bracket with 4 flats on it and somebody stuck a triple crank set on it. If somebodys got an old one laying around shoot me a PM. Thanks! (175 length is good or close to that.)

cornercarver 01-14-2008 02:58 PM

Anyone got a link to that cool black commuter bike that made the rounds sometime before friedquads happened? It will take forever to go back through several hundred pages of this thread looking for it. AT the time, it was showing up all over the place, but now I can't seem to find it anywhere.

cornercarver 01-14-2008 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornercarver
Anyone got a link to that cool black commuter...

Found it the hard way - click, scroll, click, scroll, click, scroll, ...

http://bikesfortransportyeah.wordpre...ike-merida-i8/

gambrinus 01-14-2008 04:08 PM

Bike Pron... I may just get one of these. Under $600 for the frame and fork.

http://www.kogswell.com/gallery/

RW

kamanya 01-14-2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Jamesginther Wow. That's awesome. What kind of sponsership did you get, if any? I can't imagine it's a cheap race. Good luck to you!
Sponsorship! If I was even slightly good I would have tried. I am just a hacker, our objective is just to finish and have fun.

It is a team race - there are two in a team and you have to stay within 100m of each other. This can throw up some serious inter-personal dynamics, not only in the race but training too. So far so good.

It is a very pricey thing to do, so far I am in for about $4k including bike and entrance fees. By the time I am finished it should be about $5-$6k each.

Dark 01-16-2008 01:21 PM

chainring swap ?

Does anyone know if you can swap out an Ultegra Dbl crankset small chain ring & go from a 39 to a 34 with out impacting the shift performance? Or, not possible at all?
105 sti shifters & 105 derailure ?
Ultegra shifters & derailures ?

Iím looking at a couple of bikes with std double cranks & would rather have compact or a triple but havenít found one yet

Iím looking at used Lemonds, any leads appreciated

Jamesginther 01-16-2008 01:44 PM

Compatibility

Shifting performance will be greatly affected. The Shifters don't create a problem when changing to the compact chainring. The problem comes from the front deraileur has too much large of a radius to mesh well with the 34 tooth chain ring. You can do it, but it will shift like pooo. Also, anyone correct me if I am wrong but I don't think you can put a compact chainring on without changing to the compact crankset. Sooo, compact crankset and deraileur and you are off and runnin'.

James

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark
Does anyone know if you can swap out an Ultegra Dbl crankset small chain ring & go from a 39 to a 34 with out impacting the shift performance? Or, not possible at all?
105 sti shifters & 105 derailure ?
Ultegra shifters & derailures ?

Iím looking at a couple of bikes with std double cranks & would rather have compact or a triple but havenít found one yet

Iím looking at used Lemonds, any leads appreciated

JohnBryer 01-16-2008 08:33 PM

If any of you FF's are looking for an entry level road bike, I'm selling one here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE:IT&ih=018

Oznerol 01-17-2008 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark

It's probably not possible to just swap in a 34 tooth chainring. If it's a standard double crank, I'm guessing it's a 130mm bolt circle diameter; Nobody makes 34 tooth chainrings with that BCD.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:43 AM.