ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

flip18436572 12-23-2007 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
Hardrock?

Skip it. Stumpjumper frames are gonna be a better bet. FSR is even better iffen ya wants a double boinger.

M

I am just trying to find something to start on to see if it would be something I would enjoy. I will look elsewhere. Thanks.

Gummee! 12-23-2007 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flip18436572
I am just trying to find something to start on to see if it would be something I would enjoy. I will look elsewhere. Thanks.

If that's the case, definitely buy a complete bike. :nod You tried bikesdirect.com yet? They may have a cheep mtn bike to start on.

M

slipjoint 12-23-2007 06:55 PM

OK - so i got inspired & dug out my Made in the USA Schwinn Varsity road bike - now this bike is brand new - well it's what 30 years old but has zero miles on it - not a scratch - so i wax it up greased all the bearings - cleaned & lubed the chain - thing looks new except for one little minor thing - the tires are rotted - I mean big time - all crumbled up on the sidewalls - i'm not able to see what size they are - skinny things - i rolled my 26" Marion up next to it & the old Schwinn tires look 3 inches taller - so anyone know what these old guys ran - 28's? did they make a 29"? i'm not sure of the prpper way to measure them? thanks - slip

flip18436572 12-23-2007 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slipjoint
OK -----snip------- look 3 inches taller - so anyone know what these old guys ran - 28's? did they make a 29"? i'm not sure of the prpper way to measure them? thanks - slip

Go to the Sheldon Brown's web site and look at his description on how to figure out what size rims you have. My guess would be 27", unless there was some really weird size made for a while.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Barnstormer 12-23-2007 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
:
mtn bikes were just starting to become widely available.
Overend and Tomac were heroes. Ditto with whatsername that raced topless

Jacquie Phelen!

(With her clothes on)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1260/...1a52a8.jpg?v=0

Barnstormer 12-23-2007 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slipjoint
OK - so i got inspired & dug out my Made in the USA Schwinn Varsity road bike - now this bike is brand new - well it's what 30 years old but has zero miles on it - not a scratch - so i wax it up greased all the bearings - cleaned & lubed the chain - thing looks new except for one little minor thing - the tires are rotted - I mean big time - all crumbled up on the sidewalls - i'm not able to see what size they are - skinny things - i rolled my 26" Marion up next to it & the old Schwinn tires look 3 inches taller - so anyone know what these old guys ran - 28's? did they make a 29"? i'm not sure of the prpper way to measure them? thanks - slip

27x1 1/4

slipjoint 12-24-2007 08:35 AM

i got an e-mail that told me to carry it back to the basement for another 30 years then put it on e-bay:cry

pierce 12-24-2007 02:33 PM

yeah, a vintage Varsity has 27-1/4" chromed steel rims, with tin plated spokes, lousy bearings, solid steel ashtabula crank with stamped steel chainrings, probably huret derailleurs, a heavy gauge soft steel welded frame, probably has weinmann or similar centerpull brakes, chromed steel drop bars, a steel gooseneck, and likely weighs way more than my fat-tire cruiser.

flip18436572 12-24-2007 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pierce
yeah, a vintage Varsity has 27-1/4" chromed steel rims, with tin plated spokes, lousy bearings, solid steel ashtabula crank with stamped steel chainrings, probably huret derailleurs, a heavy gauge soft steel welded frame, probably has weinmann or similar centerpull brakes, chromed steel drop bars, a steel gooseneck, and likely weighs way more than my fat-tire cruiser.

Damn, you want to rain on any one else's parade!?!?!? :D

flip18436572 12-27-2007 08:24 PM

No one has been to this thread since Christmas. That is hard to believe. Did everyone have a good Christmas????

Gummee! 12-29-2007 08:39 AM

Quote:

No one has been to this thread since Christmas. That is hard to believe. Did everyone have a good Christmas????

Boy do I have a story!

Hafta wait till later tho. I'm fixing the power steering line on the truck. Broke last nite on the way home from my Gramma's house.

M

gambrinus 12-29-2007 08:49 AM

Gummee, We need a puppy update...

RW

Zodiac 12-29-2007 08:52 AM

Quote:

yeah, got a gift certificate from my family for Nashbar, and on Chritmas day they had a 20% off, ordered Ksyrium ES full wheel set for a $627! that's a great deal.

Only problm is I haven't ridden in over 2 weeks.:cry Gonna try and do some laps in the park today, it's wet but it's warm:D

gambrinus 12-29-2007 09:01 AM

The new job is RIDING DISTANCE from home!!!!!!!! I know, anything is riding distance if you have time, but in reality anything under 15 miles is a nice commute. Wooo hoooo!! More money$$$$$$ and 1/4 of the distance from home!

RW

gatling 12-29-2007 09:23 AM

I've got a couple of road bikes I'm looking to sell if any one is interested.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:43 PM.