ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

YakSpout 08-22-2006 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photog
Yeah...this is GREAT stuff.

:clap

absolutely freakin' BADASS.

nice job skitchin' on the black BMW. :lol3

When I used to work downtown, the messenger culture fascinated me. These guys (and a few girls) made just enough money to keep themselves in weed, tubes and tires and they worked their asses off on a daily basis. It was pretty funny to hear the fixie guys giving the shiftie guys crap during their 'smoke' breaks. :rofl

Photog 08-22-2006 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YakSpout
When I used to work downtown, the messenger culture fascinated me. These guys (and a few girls) made just enough money to keep themselves in weed, tubes and tires and they worked their asses off on a daily basis. It was pretty funny to hear the fixie guys giving the shiftie guys crap during their 'smoke' breaks. :rofl

:clap

I've had a secret fantasy for years to be a bike messenger. When I worked in DC and NYC I used to watch them do their thing and it really connected somehow. Something totally badass about it--not just the riding, but I knew they were busting their asses for not much money. I'd watch 'em in the winter and it blew my mind that they were out on days that were brutally windy and cold.

Those videos were great. I'll be watching them over and over. Ballsy, graceful, athletic, skillful, pure....and did I mention Ballsy?

MineMapper 08-22-2006 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SofaKing
Bike Messenger races.

Baltimore - road rage episode
[/SIZE][/FONT]http://www.digave.com/videos/b-web.mpg

That's wild. All my old neighbourhoods. I used to live a block from the Wyman Park Dell, which was their second stop. BTW, the camera man was lucky he didn't get his ass shot. MLK hwy is NOT a place to pick a fight with anyone, especially when one of you is on a bike. I've seen cars ram each other up onto that grass median before.

CGH 08-22-2006 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knary
Hit-and-run driver appears to have struck cyclist on purpose
01:45 PM PDT on Tuesday, August 22, 2006

By ANTONIA GIEDWOYN, kgw.com Staff

SCHOLLS, Ore. -- A hit-and-run driver struck a bicyclist last weekend who was training for a ride to raise money for cancer research, and the incident may have been intentional.

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/storie...0.25d3908a.jpg
(The portion of Hwy. 219 where the bicyclist was struck.)

The victim, Cindy Sharp, is a surgeon and mother of two-year-old triplets. She underwent a four-hour surgery Tuesday for her arm, which was severely injured.

Sharp had been one of four cyclists descending a hill northbound on Highway 219, a little west of Scholls in Washington County, Saturday afternoon when she was apparently hit and pushed off the road by the trailer of a pickup truck towing a boat, said Sgt. David Thompson with Washington County Sheriff’s Office.

The impact threw Sharp off her bike and into the bottom of a ditch. She said water was thrown at her by someone in the truck as it passed, before the trailer hit her.

“Obeying the rules of the road and being as accommodating to motorists as possible, she was riding close to the white painted fog line at the right side of the road. The truck refused to make any allowance for the cyclists it was passing and did not move to the left to give any clearance even though there was no oncoming traffic,” said cycling coach and team leader John Schader.

Schader said the same boat trailer had brushed his shoulder as the vehicle passed him and came extremely close to one of the other cyclists. The driver had been tailgating a vehicle in front of it which had safely passed the bicyclists. The driver who was tailgated had made room for the cyclists, as Oregon law requires motorists to do.

The suspect vehicle was described as a shiny red, late model pickup truck towing a very new-looking black and red ski boat, possibly a 23-foot Centurian model.

Anyone who sees the vehicle was asked to write down the license plate number and call police.

Sharp was riding with Team In Training, the nation's largest endurance sports training program which raises over $500 million annually to support The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
(KGW reporter Amy Troy contributed to this article.)

source

This just makes my blood boil ... I would absolutely love to cave their head in with their tire iron ... waste of skin.

GotMojo? 08-22-2006 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SofaKing
Bike Messenger races.

Baltimore - road rage episode
http://www.digave.com/videos/b-web.mpg

While this may be fun to watch, these guys give cyclists a bad name. Kinda like the mountain bikers who blast by hikers on the trail and get us banned from said trail. Fun to watch, but speeding thru traffic, past pedestrians, riding the wrong way down streets, and ignoring stop signs and red lights is not coool IMHO.

n/e/wherebuthere 08-22-2006 08:59 PM

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1>
Quote:

While this may be fun to watch, these guys give cyclists a bad name. Kinda like the mountain bikers who blast by hikers on the trail and get us banned from said trail. Fun to watch, but speeding thru traffic, past pedestrians, riding the wrong way down streets, and ignoring stop signs and red lights is not coool IMHO.
I think they do it just to give a little of what they're getting from the cages. (on the streets that is, another matter on the trail):kurt

<!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2>Blame Rider </TD><TD class=alt1 align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

knary 08-22-2006 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGH
This just makes my blood boil ... I would absolutely love to cave their head in with their tire iron ... waste of skin.

You're not alone.
The story led the 5 pm news and was repeated through the night during other broadcasts.

motojedi 08-23-2006 06:49 AM

We just had two police officers killed on their bicycles yesterday.

link

A Town Aire freight truck, investigators say, rammed the slower and much smaller support truck, shooting it through the pack of ten cyclists. Investigators aren't certain yet how fast the trucks were traveling on State Road 63 where the speed limit is 60 mph.

gambrinus 08-23-2006 07:42 AM

I almost got taken out this morning ON COMPANY PROPERTY by a female putting on makeup as she was driving.

I WILL find the car in the parking lot and leave a note....

RW

Gummee! 08-23-2006 07:54 AM

I'm sure y'all have yer own horror stories... I wish that the MC-riding mouth breathers that bash us would just ride a few rides in our SPD-SLs... They won't. Too skeered or somethin. :confused

I'm not sure why bicyclists are singled out for abuse other than 'they can.' You don't buzz tractors or logging trucks do ya? WhyTF are you doing it to us?! All of us are moving at our top speeds. Get over it!

Grrrrrr.

Now, I'm debating on whether to ride my bicycle or MC to work(sucks) today. I need to start unpacking my shite from my office, and I have a BBQ to go to tonite so I'm leaning towards the MC. If I do that, I'm gonna bring running stuff so I can scout trail for the hash at lunchtime. Gotta!!!! get rid of this roll 'round my middle!

M

SofaKing 08-23-2006 08:32 AM

I hadn't thought about a hash in years. My first exposure to them was on Okinawa, JP, watching my motorpool roommate return from a hash dirty and scratched up. I think the local group was the Hash House Harriers.

Stimulate the mind while thrashing the body.

SofaKing 08-23-2006 08:38 AM

Anyone participate in their local Critical Mass ride? I've been considering attending the local one here, but I'm getting a strange vibe after reading their web.

http://sandiegocriticalmass.org/

gambrinus 08-23-2006 08:49 AM

I think that the rides do more harm than good. I'm sure others will disagree, but to each their own. Besides, I don't own a Che shirt, and I'm not sure that they'll let you ride without one.

RW

Photog 08-23-2006 08:53 AM

The one I saw clogged up traffic pretty well.

I'm not sure how that wins hearts and minds.

I think the time/money/brainpower is better spent talking to media, law enforcement, the DA, the legislature, and so on, when there have been documented cases of aggression towards bicyclists or injuries/deaths--as we've had locally.

Not pissing off more drivers.

GotMojo? 08-23-2006 09:02 AM

Most of the Critical Mass stuff I've seen looked like a bunch of hooligans on bikes. I think if they really want to make a change they could think of better ways to do it. The whole culture of bikers who do those kind of rides makes me uneasy...seems like they are just a bunch of hippies who want an excuse to party and ride.... here's proof... http://complex-systems.ucsd.edu/sdcm...0#comment-1496

In the dirt world, my local mountain bike club actually went to Washington to meet with some higher ups and talk trail use issues.... this was much more effective IMHO than if they would have just orgainized large rides to piss off hikers and block trails.

Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:49 PM.