ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

Photog 08-23-2006 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray of Sunshine
:nono It's Bush's fault. :lol2

I personally blame Karl Rove for it. It's HIS fault, the bastard. :pissed

MineMapper 08-23-2006 05:54 PM

I did precisely one CM ride around Baltimore in '99. It was a lot like the Messenger race video, except that this time they were actively looking for cars to aggravate. When several vehicles started to actively chase us down, I decided I'd had enough and bailed. That was around the time I decided that riding from downtown to get out to the country was not such a hot idea anymore.

Now I'm an active member of both local and national mtn bike organizations, both of which succesfully work with govt at their respective level to get our message heard and our trails kept open. Much more effective that pissing off and picking fight with our fellow road and trail users.

Gummee! 08-24-2006 09:46 AM

Actually **GASP** ran yesterday during lunch. Sorta. Scouting trail for the hash = poking into the brush looking for a place to cross a creek, not finding it, jogging down to the next likely looking spot, poking yer head into the brush, repeat.

M

knary 08-24-2006 09:50 AM

I spoke with the deputy handling the hit-and-run case this morning. They were inundated with tips after it ran in the news over the past couple days. They've narrowed it down to a few leads and one in particular. The deputy became fairly specific about what they believed happened and who was involved (aside from names). They expect an arrest either today or tomorrow. :clap

Media pressure can be a GOOD thing.

Photog 08-24-2006 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knary
I spoke with the deputy handling the hit-and-run case this morning. They were inundated with tips after it ran in the news over the past couple days. They've narrowed it down to a few leads and one in particular. The deputy became fairly specific about what they believed happened and who was involved (aside from names). They expect an arrest either today or tomorrow. :clap

Media pressure can be a GOOD thing.

OUTSTANDING!!!!! WOO-HOO!!!!!

YakSpout 08-24-2006 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photog
OUTSTANDING!!!!! WOO-HOO!!!!!

+1

:clap

Zodiac 08-24-2006 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knary
I spoke with the deputy handling the hit-and-run case this morning. They were inundated with tips after it ran in the news over the past couple days. They've narrowed it down to a few leads and one in particular. The deputy became fairly specific about what they believed happened and who was involved (aside from names). They expect an arrest either today or tomorrow. :clap

Media pressure can be a GOOD thing.


Hope someone's brought to justice, be a nice change of pace.

Zodiac 08-24-2006 10:37 AM

Ride update =

Still doing the 15 miler every other day, starting to feel faster, keeping a 17 mph avg speed, top speed of 31. Lotsa hills in this circuit, but also, alot of distractions.

The other night I had 3 racoons run out and scurry into my way, crossing my path. I came real close to hitting them, skidded out the rear (thought I was gonna hear a big POP after that). It's strange when you're in the middle of Central Park at night, zipping along and 3 wild animals show up, just doesn't feel natural in that environment.

So I'm still feeling a boost in energy, feel like I might have lost some weight in my chest, toning up the legs. Still have the gut though...:twitch. I think I should either up my mileage or up my weekly riding frequency...what do you guys think?

PS - My basso (16 yrs old) definitely has alot of flex going on up front. Must be the old Carb fork, old headset, and rubbery cinnelli handlebars/stem.

I can't wait till I can upgrade these parts.

SofaKing 08-24-2006 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
well? why ain't YOU hashing?

:ear

M

Sneaking up on it, commuting to work to get me legs back under me then I will look for something. Gotta drag the GF with me, I think she will like it. If she doesn't she will be too tired to say anything about it. :evil

SofaKing 08-24-2006 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knary
I spoke with the deputy handling the hit-and-run case this morning. They were inundated with tips after it ran in the news over the past couple days. They've narrowed it down to a few leads and one in particular. The deputy became fairly specific about what they believed happened and who was involved (aside from names). They expect an arrest either today or tomorrow. :clap

Media pressure can be a GOOD thing.

Great news!

LabRat 08-24-2006 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
Hope someone's brought to justice, be a nice change of pace.


My roommate got run down last year while riding harmlessly IN THE BIKE LANE (that is half a lane or so wide) by a 93 yo. She was taken to the hospital by ambulance with a broken wrist/radius-ulner break, and road rash across her entire back. Really bad road rash! The cop that showed up at the hospital to take her report told her it was her fault. He believed the 93yo who was driving,that she swerved into him, even though she was knocked all the way onto the side walk (there is a grass bit that she had to fly over)

Anyways, she just got the first half of her settlement. They paid her ~$400, for a ruined fixed gear wheel and broken sunglasses. The final payment for the "personal injury", or whatever you call the "other" things, is going to be ~$20,000! The cool thing, besides her getting money (she doesn't care about it) is he has to admit fault!

JD

Oznerol 08-24-2006 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
So I'm still feeling a boost in energy, feel like I might have lost some weight in my chest, toning up the legs. Still have the gut though...:twitch. I think I should either up my mileage or up my weekly riding frequency...what do you guys think?

I don't know which'll be more effective for weight loss, but doing the ride up to Nyack that someone mentioned in your "I hate NY" thread every week or two would probably be a lot more fun than just bumping the frequency.

Doing anything with your diet? Since May I've lost about 25lbs of flab that I'd let accumulate over the past 10 years. A lot of that was from a pretty big dietary change that I made first. It was only after I'd lost the first 12-15 lbs and was starting to plateau that I started with the bicycling. If I'd just started bicycling without already having built some dietary discipline, I'd've probably just unconsciously eaten more to compensate for the increased expenditure and not lost any weight.

Zodiac 08-24-2006 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Somebody
I don't know which'll be more effective for weight loss, but doing the ride up to Nyack that someone mentioned in your "I hate NY" thread every week or two would probably be a lot more fun than just bumping the frequency.

Doing anything with your diet? Since May I've lost about 25lbs of flab that I'd let accumulate over the past 10 years. A lot of that was from a pretty big dietary change that I made first. It was only after I'd lost the first 12-15 lbs and was starting to plateau that I started with the bicycling. If I'd just started bicycling without already having built some dietary discipline, I'd've probably just unconsciously eaten more to compensate for the increased expenditure and not lost any weight.


Good points.

No, I haven't changed my diet, but I have noticed I'm eating less, but feeling hungrier when it's time to eat. I don't seem to have the "room" in my stomach for pigging out like I used to.

gambrinus 08-24-2006 01:23 PM

This is the ride that I'm doing with some old friends starting a week from Sunday.

http://www.atatrail.org/


I did the southern half ( C&O Canal ) about 10 yrs ago. The northern section between Pgh and Cumberland is old Western Maryland RR , and has only been complete for less than a year.


RW

allan16 08-24-2006 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry
Ride update =


... 3 racoons run out and scurry into my way, crossing my path. I came real close to hitting them, ... It's strange when you're in the middle of Central Park at night, zipping along and 3 wild animals show up, just doesn't feel natural in that environment.

Those wern't ordinary racoons..that was the new super of your building and his family.
:D


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014