ADVrider

ADVrider (http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Bicycle thread (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150964)

VespaFitz 07-07-2008 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bimble
:rofl

I don't think the world (at least not mine) is ready for the image of a Vespafitz stuffed into spandex weasel-squeezers. Baggy shorts and a cardigan, yes. Bike shorts? Nope.

:lol3

Quote:

Good job on the 5k. And you rode to it! :clap

Are you going to run another one?
I am. Actually, there's a 5k through trails on Tuesday night that I might do. I won't ride the bicycle to that one, though. Too far away.

I'm also thinking about doing a sprint triathlon in August, but I've got to figure out how to do the swimming part first.

gambrinus 07-07-2008 08:59 AM

More Pron!

Dirty stinking pron. Stuff so nice that it makes impure thoughts of selling things pulse though my brain... "hmmm I could sell the mower and get $250.00".... :evil

http://www.bobbrowncycles.com/

953 is just plain sexy

Mr Head 07-07-2008 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gambrinus
Dirty stinking pron. Stuff so nice that it makes impure thoughts of selling things pulse though my brain... "hmmm I could sell the mower and get $250.00".... :evil

http://www.bobbrowncycles.com/

953 is just plain sexy

Reminds me of some of Gangl, Columbine, Zinn, and that one up in Steamboat frames. I miss slobbering over all those wonder pieces of ridable art.

Mercury264 07-07-2008 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VespaFitz
:lol3

I am. Actually, there's a 5k through trails on Tuesday night that I might do. I won't ride the bicycle to that one, though. Too far away.

I'm also thinking about doing a sprint triathlon in August, but I've got to figure out how to do the swimming part first.

First or all, start with water...

:hide

Askel 07-07-2008 06:28 PM

What the hell is it with Deore hubs and me? :bluduh

Every frickin' one I own has gone out of whack in the first couple months or so.

The Tiagra, Bontrager, and KK hubs have never give me any trouble.

Oh well, at least I had an excuse to by a casette removal tool to de-dork-disc-ify all my bikes that hadn't self-de-dork-disc-ified themselves yet. :D

gambrinus 07-07-2008 06:40 PM

If you're tough on hubs go Chris King or Phil. If you're REALLY tough on hubs, build up a Tandem hub by King or Phil.

RW

CA_Strom 07-07-2008 07:08 PM

Quote:

If you're tough on hubs go Chris King or Phil. If you're REALLY tough on hubs, build up a Tandem hub by King or Phil.

RW

+1 on that.. The King hubs on my road bike have not been touched in 6 years, and they're still butter smooth....

gambrinus 07-07-2008 08:02 PM

Along with picking a good hub, rim etc.. you MUST find a decent wheel builder. If your local shop doesn't have someone on staff that's been doing wheels for at least 5yrs look elsewhere. A wheel builder is not some kid that just knows how to lace a wheel. ie knowing where the spokes all go is a good start, but it certainly doesn't make you a wheel builder. If you don't have anyone local, it won't kill you to deal with someone in another part of the country and just have them shipped to you. You'll be stunned at how nice a real hand made set of wheels will ride.

If you don't know of any GOOD wheel builders locally check out Peter White at duh... Peter White Cycles up in N.H. He's VERY well known in the tandem world for building bomb-proof wheels.

Scott Wickham at Dirty Harry's in Pittsburgh is well known around Pburgh for building up some nice wheels.

have fun shopping!

Askel 07-08-2008 02:40 AM

Once I get 'em adjusted, they seem to be fine. It must be some doofus at the factory who says "Aha, this hub is going to Askel. I don't think I'm going to tighten that lock nut on the cone."

But yeah, just spent an hour last night cleaning up my rear hub. I can certainly see the merits of sealed bearings.

patch29 07-08-2008 04:31 AM

Quote:

Along with picking a good hub, rim etc.. you MUST find a decent wheel builder. If your local shop doesn't have someone on staff that's been doing wheels for at least 5yrs look elsewhere. A wheel builder is not some kid that just knows how to lace a wheel. ie knowing where the spokes all go is a good start, but it certainly doesn't make you a wheel builder. If you don't have anyone local, it won't kill you to deal with someone in another part of the country and just have them shipped to you. You'll be stunned at how nice a real hand made set of wheels will ride.

If you don't know of any GOOD wheel builders locally check out Peter White at duh... Peter White Cycles up in N.H. He's VERY well known in the tandem world for building bomb-proof wheels.

I bought a set of his wheels for my touring bike and they have been great. :thumb

b16asi 07-08-2008 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodweiser
I have no idea what I'm getting into, do I?

There's a salvation army 40 minutes away that sells all their bikes for $5. I've seen some nice looking bikes come out of there, but everytime I go, it's usually all junk. I can't afford new, so craigslist is my new best friend.

Can anyone shoot of some makes/models that would suit a <$100 budget?

Found this one just now.
http://albany.craigslist.org/bik/743557511.html

I've got somewhere around a 31" inseam, how the hell do I know what size frame I need?

forgive me for being a moron.

You might want to look here: http://www.troybikerescue.org/

kbasa 07-08-2008 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gummee!
I have a few pairs of Keens. Each is indeed worth their money.

Just got in from a short toodle 'round the block.' Didn't but once get out of Zone 1 and that was on a fairly trafficked road and there was a slight incline to get over. (when I say slight, I really mean *slight!)

Felt good to be out, but as per the trip to employee health at the new gig went, I could feel the high BP that she sez I have. :bluduh Ride more and it goes away. Sit on my kiester and drink, and guess what?! High BP! Amazing.

M

I was at the doctor yesterday and they measured my bp at 113/65, which is lower than I've seen it in years. I thank my Polar 220cad for helping me train my heart. Not sure what resting HR is, but I'm certain it's lower than it's been in quite some time.

I'm having fun reading the posts about mtb pedals. That's probably the next thing I want to do to mine.

I'm thinking about trying to get in shape this winter to ride the Marin Century next August. Any thoughts on a decent road bike an unemployed guy can afford? How do I size it?

RichBeBe 07-08-2008 09:14 AM

I got my Crank Brothers Mallet C's yesterday and did a shortish road ride (about 13 miles) and like them so far. This morning I through on my sneakers and rode to the store and it was not a problem wearing the pedals with non-cleated shoes. Then I put them on my mountain bike and road to the trails, did about an hour of simple singletrack and then rode home.
Super easy to get in and out of (last clipless pedals I used were Onza's) good sturdy platform and ridable with regular shoes. They are a winner for me!

Gummee! 07-08-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Scott Wickham at Dirty Harry's in Pittsburgh is well known around Pburgh for building up some nice wheels.

have fun shopping!

...or you can just talk to me...

Whichever you wanna do. :dunno

M

Gummee! 07-08-2008 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichBeBe
I got my Crank Brothers Mallet C's yesterday and did a shortish road ride (about 13 miles) and like them so far. This morning I through on my sneakers and rode to the store and it was not a problem wearing the pedals with non-cleated shoes. Then I put them on my mountain bike and road to the trails, did about an hour of simple singletrack and then rode home.
Super easy to get in and out of (last clipless pedals I used were Onza's) good sturdy platform and ridable with regular shoes. They are a winner for me!

I have horror stories about OnZa pedals. Almost made me swear off clipless for mtn use forever.

I like my ATACs, but Crank Bros are OK too.

M

Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:03 PM.